Voss Kveik

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently and I have just learnt when you pitch kveik yeast you need to let out a Norwegian war cry.... not sure what my kids, neighbors and wife would think lol [emoji12]
Yes, I've heard this too.
I rent a small self contained flat at the back of someones property. I still haven't figured out a polite and sane way to explain to them, that if you hear me randomly screaming. That everything is actually ok. I'm just pitching some yeast that I found on the internet. Totally normal. everyone does it.

Anyway, pretty sure the reason I felt a bit sketchy today was because I forgot the
Gjærkauk when I pitched the yeast.
I'm sure it had nothing to do with drinking 10% beer on a school night.

Yes, I've heard this too.
I rent a small self contained flat at the back of someones property. I still haven't figured out a polite and sane way to explain to them, that if you hear me randomly screaming. That everything is actually ok. I'm just pitching some yeast that I found on the internet. Totally normal. everyone does it.

Anyway, pretty sure the reason I felt a bit sketchy today was because I forgot the
Gjærkauk when I pitched the yeast.
I'm sure it had nothing to do with drinking 10% beer on a school night.
Good on you keeping it true to style with the war cry which I cannot say or spell[emoji12]

Hi, I'm drinking a beer I fermented with Gjernes Voss. I didn't add much hops, and I had a pretty vigorous boil. SG unwittingly crept up to 1093. I fermented at 38 degrees. That's as hot as a heater belt would get my demijohn.

I didn't get much of the orange ester from it, but I've got heaps of rose and honey notes on the nose, along with higher alcohols. It's very much reminiscent of a good belgian triple.
I'll test it tomorrow to see where it finished. But drinks like a clean 8%, so I expect it's around there somewhere.
The majority of fermentation action happened within the first 36 hours. And there was plenty of activity 2 hours after yeast was pitched, and an hour later was in full party.
I brewed the beer on Saturday. And I've been drinking it since 7:30 this evening. Which was exactly 120 hours (5 days) after adding the yeast.
I conditioned at ambient for a day, and cc'd for another 24hours thereafter.

For the amount of effort I put into this beer (very little), and the amount of time it took to get from kettle to glass. (again, bugger all)
This is actually a pretty darn respectable beer.
Now that I know what to expect, I can begin to tweak my processes and recipe to suit.
I think I'm in love with these yeasts.
Now to go and chuck a stout on the yeast cake to see how that turns out!
From reading, all these yeasts are actually blends of a number of strains . But they work in a symbiotic way, I don't know how
yeast starters would work with this ? if they work out some sort of equilibrium ? Interesting.
I have read some have bacteria which I don't know if it is contamination or not. Fermenting at 37 deg could help bacteria .

I think it depends where you get it from Roosterboy. I was under the impression that the Voss Kveik from the Yeast Bay was a pure strain. There are a number of places in the US that have mixed strains, but not sure if the mixed strains are available commercially in OZ.

Just tasted my first ferment with some Gejernes I got of a guy through Facebook. 3 days at 35 degrees and it took 1.065 down to 1.010 and it tastes clean with some orange zest. I was planning to dry hop it heavily but the yeast brings something different to the party so I am going to just keg it as is. This yeast is amazing, I only pitched about 100ml of a starter that was about 5ml into 1L. Decanted off all but about 150ml and have stored some in the freezer. Forget what you know about yeast when it comes to this stuff, truly amazing. Looking forward to getting it into the keg and having a taste of it carbed up

Wow that's really awesome, gotta love kveik, it's the king

Latest posts

Back