Voss Kveik

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian176

Reaction score
Anyone used this yeast, having one tonight a simple ale with low ibus to see what the yeast has to offer. Fermented this at 30 plus degrees
IMAG0062.jpeg

That looks nice, what style of beer would you use that for?

It impart a soft pineapple mango flavour from the yeast. It finished at 1.015 though

There are a few vids on YouTube where they have used it for ipas. Traditionaly it was used for Norwegian farmhouse ales

Looking forward to doing an all grain with it to get fg down.

Very interested in this yeast for doing meads, braggots and high temp, fast fermentation. Haven't tried it yet.
Does it ferment clean and neutral or does it impart high temp kind of flavours?

From what I've heard it can be polarizing ie some people love it and others wouldn't use it again. Be interested how you find it.

From what I've heard it can be polarizing ie some people love it and others wouldn't use it again. Be interested how you find it.
I haven't minded it, the beer I made with it did finish high and does taste sweet but I offset this by adding isohop directly to the glass. Next time I will mash lower and add more hops. I am also hoping to use it across a range of styles ie stout, Porter, ipa , black ipa etc.

Very interested in this yeast for doing meads, braggots and high temp, fast fermentation. Haven't tried it yet.
Does it ferment clean and neutral or does it impart high temp kind of flavours?
From my experience mine fermented pretty clean almost lager like, others on the net said the citrus gets more intense over 43 degrees.
Tell you what it's fast, fermentation started 40 mins after pitching!

That looks nice, what style of beer would you use that for?
Apparently it works well in an ipa from what I've seen on YouTube but Traditionaly it gets used for juniper infused Norwegian farmhouse ale.
It's a pretty unique yeast that is century's old that loves warm 40 plus degrees fermentation temps.

Odd that a Norwegian farmhouse ale would b e selected for fermentation at those temps. Any ideas how it happened?

Odd that a Norwegian farmhouse ale would b e selected for fermentation at those temps. Any ideas how it happened?
From what I have read the yeast has been passed down through the generations with some saying it could be over 800 years old. I'm guessing through the centurys it has evolved to become more tolerant to high fermentation temps
Cheers

Hi, I'm drinking a beer I fermented with Gjernes Voss. I didn't add much hops, and I had a pretty vigorous boil. SG unwittingly crept up to 1093. I fermented at 38 degrees. That's as hot as a heater belt would get my demijohn.

I didn't get much of the orange ester from it, but I've got heaps of rose and honey notes on the nose, along with higher alcohols. It's very much reminiscent of a good belgian triple.
I'll test it tomorrow to see where it finished. But drinks like a clean 8%, so I expect it's around there somewhere.
The majority of fermentation action happened within the first 36 hours. And there was plenty of activity 2 hours after yeast was pitched, and an hour later was in full party.
I brewed the beer on Saturday. And I've been drinking it since 7:30 this evening. Which was exactly 120 hours (5 days) after adding the yeast.
I conditioned at ambient for a day, and cc'd for another 24hours thereafter.

For the amount of effort I put into this beer (very little), and the amount of time it took to get from kettle to glass. (again, bugger all)
This is actually a pretty darn respectable beer.
Now that I know what to expect, I can begin to tweak my processes and recipe to suit.
I think I'm in love with these yeasts.
Now to go and chuck a stout on the yeast cake to see how that turns out!

Hi, I'm drinking a beer I fermented with Gjernes Voss. I didn't add much hops, and I had a pretty vigorous boil. SG unwittingly crept up to 1093. I fermented at 38 degrees. That's as hot as a heater belt would get my demijohn.

I didn't get much of the orange ester from it, but I've got heaps of rose and honey notes on the nose, along with higher alcohols. It's very much reminiscent of a good belgian triple.
I'll test it tomorrow to see where it finished. But drinks like a clean 8%, so I expect it's around there somewhere.
The majority of fermentation action happened within the first 36 hours. And there was plenty of activity 2 hours after yeast was pitched, and an hour later was in full party.
I brewed the beer on Saturday. And I've been drinking it since 7:30 this evening. Which was exactly 120 hours (5 days) after adding the yeast.

For the amount of effort I put into this beer (very little), and the amount of time it took to get from kettle to glass. (again, bugger all)
Now that I know what to expect, I can begin to tweak my processes and recipe to suit.
I love the handle brilliant!

Gee wiz that's a quick turn around where did you find the Gjernes Voss, I have the common Sigmund

Also great to see another on the forum using Kveik, keen to hear how the stout turns out.
Also I noticed pet bed heater mats on eBay that warm in excess of 40C ,

Gee wiz that's a quick turn around where did you find the Gjernes Voss, I have the common Sigmund
There's an Australian guy selling it on Facebook, so i got it off of him.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/820882514671607/search/?query=kveik
There's a few other international kveik groups that people sell various types on. Worth having a poke round.
I'm currently using heater belts. They get warm, but not too hot. One on my SS brew bucket gets it to 35 degrees. I should invest in some heater pads for my starters, though.

I'm keen to see how the stout goes, too. Currently 22 hours into fermentation, and high krausen has well and truely come and gone. I got to see the tail end of it at 7 am this morning, less than 12 hours in.
Should be ready to bottle on Monday or Tuesday.

I measured the final gravity on the triple today. It chewed 1.093 down to 1.019 in 3 1/2 days!
And at 5 days in it was not only drinkable, but actually quite delicious.
Love this yeast, it's incredible!

There's an Australian guy selling it on Facebook, so i got it off of him.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/820882514671607/search/?query=kveik
There's a few other international kveik groups that people sell various types on. Worth having a poke round.
I'm currently using heater belts. They get warm, but not too hot. One on my SS brew bucket gets it to 35 degrees. I should invest in some heater pads for my starters, though.

I'm keen to see how the stout goes, too. Currently 22 hours into fermentation, and high krausen has well and truely come and gone. I got to see the tail end of it at 7 am this morning, less than 12 hours in.
Should be ready to bottle on Monday or Tuesday.

I measured the final gravity on the triple today. It chewed 1.093 down to 1.019 in 3 1/2 days!
And at 5 days in it was not only drinkable, but actually quite delicious.
Love this yeast, it's incredible!
Faaark, 1.093 to 1.019!!!! That's incredible and drinking well after 5 days. The yeast is something else and I am super interested in others adventures using it. You've certainly had some adventures using yours

Apparently and I have just learnt when you pitch kveik yeast you need to let out a Norwegian war cry.... not sure what my kids, neighbors and wife would think lol [emoji12]

Back