Volume Of A Wyeast Smack Pack ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donburke

Reaction score
Wyeast state the volume of their smack packs as 125ml

Is this the total including the nutrient ?

Anyne know the volume exlcuding the nutrient ?

I will be splitting a pack (unsmacked) and want to know how many vials i can fill ..

I figure that smacking the pack would increase the alcoholic content, and this higher alcoholic content would be detrimental for longer term storage

thanks

I thought it was 125ml of yeast, not including the nutrient? Was sure I read on a pack once it stated 125ml pure active brewers yeast, could just be making shit up though. Have you got the pack in front of you?

Not sure what you mean by higher alcohol content.
The nutrient pack is just nutrients IIRC, it does not cause a ferment or produce alcohol, it just wakes up the yeast, gives it a head start prior to ferment.
I wouldn't smack the pack if I was only going to split the pack between vials though as you don't really want it woken if you are only going to send it straight back to sleep again.
Nige

If it's not making alcohol, why is the pack swelling?

Not sure what you mean by higher alcohol content.
The nutrient pack is just nutrients IIRC, it does not cause a ferment or produce alcohol, it just wakes up the yeast, gives it a head start prior to ferment.
I wouldn't smack the pack if I was only going to split the pack between vials though as you don't really want it woken if you are only going to send it straight back to sleep again.
Nige

given that the pack swells when you release the nutrient, it must be producing CO2, so i assume that its fermenting the nutrient

whats in the nutrient ? some malt + trace elements

surely its fermenting something into alcohol

I thought it was 125ml of yeast, not including the nutrient? Was sure I read on a pack once it stated 125ml pure active brewers yeast, could just be making shit up though. Have you got the pack in front of you?

reads "contains 125mls liquid yeast & malt-based nutrient blend"

yep its making alcohol, but still unsure whether the 125ml includes the nutrient

I would say it's 125ml for both if that's what the pack says. These days who knows the way they label shit, can't be simple anymore can it

Edit: have you got a small measure you can sanitise and see first hand how much is there?

I would say it's 125ml for both if that's what the pack says. These days who knows the way they label shit, can't be simple anymore can it

Edit: have you got a small measure you can sanitise and see first hand how much is there?

i have 20ml vials and a 20ml volumetric pipette

i'll have 6 vials prepared and see how many i can fill

my pack of wy 2252 contained 115 ml of liquid yeast PLUS 35ml of what looked and smelt like malt solution

Back