Vintage Ale Clone From The Coopers Site

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a recipe suggests only using 30g of Nelson Sauvin, only use 30g and make sure you like Nelson. I made a hop tea with 40 grams and its over the top, I now have 30 tallies of white wine which I'm hoping will settle by the time I crack another at Christmas! However, the malt background and flavour of this 'beerwine' suggests that the Pale ale and Real ale combo is a goer as far as toucans are concerned. As it warms the malt becomes more prominent, but the wine is still there. It would have been great with cascade or something similar, which would have sent it into kit AIPA territory, which is more desireable when you intend to make beer, not cask wine.

Cant help but wonder what temp you brewed at, I dont see an extra 10gm of hops turning a beer into a cask wine....

I do see 25c plus temps doing it though...much like the temps coopers quite often suggest you use...

18 - 19 degrees with Nottingham, I learnt my lesson after the first kit I brewed @ 25

Well I brewed this from the recipe in the 1st post exactly, bloody beautiful, best beer I've made. I have 2 fermenters of this going ATM. Same recipe but dry hopped again after 5 days with another 20 grams of nelson sauvin (so 50 grams all up). After one month the aroma was perfect, nearly 2 months on the aroma has faded hence dry hopping another 20 grams in the newer batches. Fermented at 18 deg and used recultured coopers yeast in all brews.

Great to hear Chiro,

I have been contemplating doing this one for a while now being a big fan of the toucan brews, and after hearing all the positive feedback, I will now.

Jan

I am currently conditioning the Clone recipe from the Coopers website, which is the recipe from the OP.
I french pressed 30g of NS and added to mixed ferm with all ingredients...went 50/50 with DME and Dex.

Primary for 10 days then racked onto some gelatine for a further 4 days then bottled.

Been in the bottle for only 2 or 3 weeks now, but have tried a couple...
First time using NS and was suprised by the impact its got, and the sauv blanc characteristics it is contributing. Quite strong, but I like it...definitely a different Hop that some care is required with hopping amounts etc.
Still very undercarbed, but still very young. Has a nice Malt backbone. This will require quite a bit of cellaring but should definitely improve with age. Got 12 quarts set aside for a min of 6 months.

The rest will be consumed over the next 4 months or so.

Cheers

Great to hear Chiro,

I have been contemplating doing this one for a while now being a big fan of the toucan brews, and after hearing all the positive feedback, I will now.

Jan

If you haven't tried the NS hops buy a bottle of Knappstein reserve lager at dan murphy's to see if you like it (same hop used). The ESVA also has quite a bitter finish, which I like but some may not.

Hi all

this is my 1st post here, signed up last night.

I am back to homebrewing after a break (silly me) after over 15yrs of brewing
and this recipe caught my eye on the coopers site, and seeing as i love their Vintage Ale
thought i would give this a go exactly as they have the recipe written, will add my own variations after its finished and do another.

I bought 50g of NS hop pallets yesterday and will use 30 grams in the recipe
and the left over 20g i might throw them in and dry hop this Coopers lager kit i have when its brewed out and leave them for a week or so.

Second FV coming soon and back to making all my beer again, have been making some nice ciders over winter and now some nice thick beers in the fermenters as well should keep me happy.

Good to see the variations and ideas on this brew, will keep you posted how mine goes also.

cheers
Tony

If you haven't tried the NS hops buy a bottle of Knappstein reserve lager at dan murphy's to see if you like it (same hop used). The ESVA also has quite a bitter finish, which I like but some may not.

Cheers,

Thanks for the heads up I have tried the ESVA and do like it, i was just unsure how the coopers clone recipe compared.

Jan

Back