Vienna, Graz, Salzburg And Munich Beer Tour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jye

Hop Junky
Reaction score
Well it turns out I am going to Graz (Austria) at the end of August for a conference and Im also going to take the opportunity to have my own little beer tour :)

At the moment it looks like I will only be spending a day or two each in Vienna, Salzburg and Munich with about a week in Graz, so I would like to find breweries / brewpubs close by. Pretty much the only thing on my must do list so far is Andechs near Munich, but I also have Hofbraeuhaus, Erdinger and Ayinger in mind. JSB also recommended going to Die Weisse in Salzburg.

So I would like to know where have you been and what would you recommended to visit? Also any tips on how to get around and nearby backpackers wouldn't hurt.

Cheers
Jye

When you're in Salzburg, head to the Augustiner Biergarten. A good place to spend a few hours.
Not sure of the exact address, but it's in the old town, on the other end of the hill that the fortress is on.
You know what to do, Google it, or look it up in the lonely planet guide book.
Pete
p.s. The youth hostel there was pretty good too.
pps. also check out the Eagles Nest tour. a small fortress the nazis built for hitler in berchtesgarten (stuffed spelling). It's worth it.

Great score.
In Graz, the brewery to visit is Gosser
Of course Arnnie is from Graz so I think their is a museum or some other tribute to him there.
My father-in-law is also from Graz, but he left 50 years ago, so I don't think I'll bother asking him about the tourist highlights.

Beers,
Doc

When you're in Salzburg, head to the Augustiner Biergarten. A good place to spend a few hours.
Not sure of the exact address, but it's in the old town, on the other end of the hill that the fortress is on.
You know what to do, Google it, or look it up in the lonely planet guide book.
Pete
p.s. The youth hostel there was pretty good too.
pps. also check out the Eagles Nest tour. a small fortress the nazis built for hitler in berchtesgarten (stuffed spelling). It's worth it.

The Puntigamer brewery (just outside Gratz) does a brewery tour - interesting to see a modern european brewery in action. Highlights for me were the bottle washing/recycling centre and the free beers at the end. :)
When i went, we tacked onto the end of a school tour. Was strange watching all the secondry school kids pouring and getting stuck into the beers. <_<

The Augustiner in Salzburg is definitly a must. The beer is great, and the hall of germanic snack foods is a delight. *drool*
The ""world of beer" is just outside Salburg too. Never been there tho.

The Augustine beer garden in Munich is also worth a visit if it's open it's on the street up the hill behind the Hauptbahnhof (SP?). If it's closed try the Augustine beer hall in Neuhauser Plats (again, SP?).
The Haufbrahouse is worth taking a look at if only to see tourists behaving badly.

So much to see in that area..... :party:

The Augustine beer garden in Munich is also worth a visit if it's open it's on the street up the hill behind the Hauptbahnhof (SP?). If it's closed try the Augustine beer hall in Neuhauser Plats (again, SP?).
The Haufbrahouse is worth taking a look at if only to see tourists behaving badly.

So much to see in that area..... :party:

Ditto to that. Schneider Brauhaus a bit further up the road is worth the visit too. For obvious reasons it's the best Schneiderweiss and Aventinus you'll ever have. :beerbang:

Warren -

Ditto to that. Schneider Brauhaus a bit further up the road is worth the visit too. For obvious reasons it's the best Schneiderweiss and Aventinus you'll ever have. :beerbang:

Warren -

Oh! Forgot about that one. Yummy beer there too. :beer:

And the best (read cheapest - about 1/2 the price of everywhere else) place to get a feed of haxen (pickled roasted pork hocks) is in a cafe above the Isator S-Bahn station.

Damn. Hungry and thirsty now. Really must plan another visit... :(

Thanks guys :beerbang: This has resulted in me wasting a day finding pubs :D

I found a great map of pubs for Salzburg here and a similar deal for everywhere else.

Has anyone been to both the Weihenstephan and Erdinger breweries? I dont think Im going to have time to see both :( and Warren thanks for the head up on the Schneider Brauhaus Im going there for sure.

Still no brewery recommendations from Vienna... I cant think of anything else to do there ;)

Great tip Dan just what I wanted.

And the best (read cheapest - about 1/2 the price of everywhere else) place to get a feed of haxen (pickled roasted pork hocks) is in a cafe above the Isator S-Bahn station.

There is a great Schnapps distillery in Vienna. Will dig up the name tonight :p

Doc

I can't offer you any tips, Jye but I'll be there myself in a few weeks time. I'll let you know about anything I find in Vienna.

In the meantime, if you have Google Earth (who doesn't) try this little gem.

View attachment beerme.zip

Cheers

WJ

Has anyone been to both the Weihenstephan and Erdinger breweries? I dont think Im going to have time to see both :( and Warren thanks for the head up on the Schneider Brauhaus Im going there for sure.

Still no brewery recommendations from Vienna... I cant think of anything else to do there ;)
Well, the page you found for Salzburg also has guides for Vienna, Graz and Munich.

And I don't mean to be rude but I think you're nuts to go to breweries whose beers you can buy back here. There are LOADS of tiny breweries in Bavaria to check out. Get yourself a copy of the Good Beer Guide to Germany if you're keen. That said, I'd go to Freising (i.e. Weihenstephan) ahead of Erding because it also has Bruhaus Freising and Hofbrauhaus Freising.

I always liked the look of the Forschungsbrauerei in Munich too.

just remembered another one in Munich. (This is about 8 years ago though)
There's a huge park called Englischer Garten, and walking through it we stumbled upon a temporary beergarden setup around a Chinese Tower. (chineser turm, or somethig like that)...

Keep your eyes open. These things may appear out of nowhere!

Latest posts

Back