Vic X-mas In July 2009 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#11 Leigh - Australian Lager: Very well presented beer, nicely carbonated, pours light and clear, with a nicely formed head. Only a hint of POR hops in aroma and taste, quite dry with balanced bitterness. Probably would have been better on a hot summers day, didn't really go with the food I was having (calamari with a splash of lemon juice) -- as the food flavors seemed to mangle the taste of the beer (and the lemon juice aftertaste from the food seemed to make the beer taste even drier). On the whole, well made, for mine it could have done with a bit more sweetness (only a fraction).

:icon_cheers:

Cheers
Mal

8. wonderwoman - Goldilocks

Pours nice and clear, with a beautiful white head. Great looking beer. Nicely carbonated, even though it has been out in the cold, cold garage, and the yeast flocc'ed pretty solidly to the bottom of the bottle even on the second pour. Good, not too subtle, not too full-on hop aroma.

Had read some other comments about it being too sweet, and from the smell of it I am expecting exactly the same. But, on tasting, there's a crispness that balances out the sweetness, making this a really easy drinking beer.

Good one, Pauline, looking forward to your next swap beer, especially now I find out you're BIAB'ing.

8. Kleiny - Traditional Bock

Pours dark, with a minimal head that doesn't hang around long. Mmmmmmm, smells...malty.

Boom!, first taste is full on malt, malt and more malt. Only afterwards do I start to discern the yeast in the background. Love your ability to balance all that maltiness with a good amount of bitterness, without getting a cloying mouthfeel.

Yum, I want another, but failing that, I'll settle for the recipe.

8 - Wonderwoman - Mexican Cerveza with golden syrup

as above. was concerned about the sweetness of this one so deliberately let it mellow for a good 6 weeks before cracking it. this beer has certainly changed a lot since the initial tastings because mine wasn't overly sweet at all, in fact i can barely discern the golden syrup in the background and it is well balanced. if anything mine is lacking flavour somewhat, there's not a lot of hop or malt going on, but it's super clean and very easy to drink. going down very well after coming in from a round of golf.

Good stuff!

thanks Neill and warmbeer

the longer you leave the goldilocks the less sweetness you get as the golden syprup ferments out. I thought that 4 weeks would be enough time to get a good balance, hence the recommendation to drink after the 11/7, but maybe it needed 6 weeks... but then again, it all comes down to personal taste... anyway, glad you liked it!

27. Wardhog - Vienna lager

Was really looking forward to this beer but when i opened it , it was as flat as a shit carters hat. I gave it the old syringe trick and this help with the head.

Nice clear beer with a nice malt flavour, i could detect some sort of spicy taste which i'm pretty sure isn't to style...

What yeast did you use Wardy?

Apart from the carbonation problem not a bad beer.

3. Beerdingo - Dunkelweizen

As per Hutch's comment, a really enjoyable beer. I drank this after sitting down to a big feed of lamb Shanks.

Thanks Wardy and Dingo.

Rook

8. Kleiny - Traditional Bock

Pours dark, with a minimal head that doesn't hang around long. Mmmmmmm, smells...malty.

Boom!, first taste is full on malt, malt and more malt. Only afterwards do I start to discern the yeast in the background. Love your ability to balance all that maltiness with a good amount of bitterness, without getting a cloying mouthfeel.

Yum, I want another, but failing that, I'll settle for the recipe.

What more can I add to that? Bloody nice beer Kleiny!

Just got the Goldilocks re-taste to go.

well ive drank a few more but cant find my notes. I liked all of them. even if one or 2 werent a personal favourite style they were a great quality of beers which is what you want.

I also think that if anyone's got their recipe on the AHB database that other should rank the recipe if it was a good beer. I suppose we could edit the wiki so people can indicate where there recipe is on the db?

I also think that if anyone's got their recipe on the AHB database that other should rank the recipe if it was a good beer. I suppose we could edit the wiki so people can indicate where there recipe is on the db?

Thats not a bad idea CM2. The whole idea of joining the swap for me was to try the beers out in the community and get some decent recipes out of it too. Might not hurt if we all add our recipes up (if you are willing to divulge) and mark them for rating as you noted.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

WarmBeer's Franken-Mild recipe

So called because it was initially so bland it was going to get tipped.

A little rescue effort with some additional choc + black malt steeped and then boiled for 10 mins with an additional 15g of Goldings, all after primary fermentation had finished, and I managed to get some taste back into it.

My victory cry upon tasting the new, improved beer was "It is ALIVE!!!"

Ok a few taste notes, well from memory anyway

Peels Black beer

Nice beer, however I felt like it needed just a pinch of something and it would've been a great beer. Not sure if it needed more roastiness/more bitterness/ or more acidity however by the end of the glass found it needed some balance.

Don't get me wrong though I thought it was very easy drinking, just felt like it needed a pinch of something else to balance it.

Rook - 3 Shades Stout

Rook ya ******* this was probably the cloudiest beer i've had all swap :) trust you to give me the last bottle outta the fermenter :p.
That being said was a lovely drop, not overly roasty and it has a really broad flavour that was nicely balanced.
Lovely beer

Cheers for some great beers guys

10. Q - "Mildly Challenged" dark mild

Mahogany to dark brown with wispy foam. Aroma of light malty nuttiness with some sweetness in the background. Slightly phenolic on the nose with a lingering munich/kilned malt toasty/breadyness.

High carbonation with a moderate body. Falvour seems to be somewhat high in mineral content (carbonates/ Mg maybe?) unsure if this is water modification or yeast derived. I get some mild roasty flavours up front with some sweet maltiness in the finish. the finish is dry and lingering with some ashy and toasty malt flavours. no real hop flavour noticable and bitterness (which is negligible in this style anyway) is masked by the astringency of the malts.

Quite a decent beer Q!

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

10._Q___Mildly_Challenged_dark_mild.JPG

23. Shortz - EoX Porter

Deep brown with a light tan head. Nutty with a sweet chocolate aroma, im getting some light solvent/acetaldehyde notes. Hot upfront alc warmth on the palate with a thin mouthfeel and high carbonation. Some malty nuttiness comes through on the palate with sweet crystal and a chocolaty roastyness. The bitterness is quite firm and the finish is rather acrid like in the roast flavour, slightly ashy. Solvency lingers also in the finish with some bready malty doughyness (may be slightly yeasty). Overall an everyday presentation of the style, not knowing your recipe im taking a guess. It might need less of the black malts (if any used) or some adjustments in the recipe to knock back the roasts. Dont forget fermentation control to clean up the solvents.

Decent work either way shortz!

23._Shortz___EoX_Porter.JPG

12. mcook - American IPA

Pours nicely, forming a tightly packed, half cm, almost pure white head. Totally clear, very appealing golden amber colour. Nice light hop aroma, that just gets better the deeper you breath it in.

Taste is clean, good strong hops, which lingers, but without the resiny after-taste you sometimes get with an AIPA. Slightly sweet, but it is well balanced by the bitterness. This is a really well made beer, thanks mcook.

10. Q - "Mildly Challenged" dark mild

Nice colour and clarity Q.

I get a ashy flavour with a hint of chocolate in the background which finishes off with the hop bitterness

Nice easy drinking Mild to have on a cold winters night, pitty its Friday lunch time :icon_cheers:

Well balanced beer Q but this is expected of your beers......

Rook :icon_chickcheers:

I get a ashy flavour with a hint of chocolate in the background which finishes off with the hop bitterness

I'd say its probabaly from the black malt, i get this note every time i use it.

So, wehn are we doing our beerswap rooky? Ive bottled you up a bottle of the 3rd Place Sweet Stout for ya ready to go!

20. WarmBeer - Franken-Mild

Trying this straight after Q's.....2 different types of Milds. This is a lot thinner and not as strong in flavours as Q's but nether less a very easy drinking beer.

Nice mild maltiness with a sweet aroma.

Good beer Warmbeer.

Rook

17. Brewmeister70's Kolsch

Also glad this was a double batch. It really did taste boring out of the kettle but that Wyeast 2565 is like no other I've tried and really does make distinctly flavoured beer. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Cheers,

Brewmeister70 :icon_cheers:

#18 Kleiny - Bock : Crisp malt-driven flavor. Quite a clean crisp taste, bit of roast, hides the alcohol remarkably well. Nice finish on the palate. A really excellent example of the style, if I could brew this style as good as this I would be really pleased. Maybe a tie for first place in my book.

:icon_cheers:
Cheers
Mal

Back