Vic 2016 Xmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whiteferret is hosting in Shepparton.

Attendees
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5. Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10 Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
17. Yob
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan

Cubists
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5.Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10. Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
17: Yob
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan

Attendees
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5. Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10 Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
17. Yob
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan
20. mmmyummybeer

Cubists
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5.Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10. Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan
20. mmmyummybeer

Just putting another mate on the list. I think there was another thread for this a while ago.
Whiteferret is hosting in Shepparton.[/font][/color]

Attendees
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5. Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10 Mudd
11. Reardo

12. Mayor of Mildura

13. Awesome Fury

14. MartinOC

15 Micbrew

16 JB

17. Yob

18. Curly79

19. Black n Tan

20. mmmyummybeer

21. thearn
Cubists
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5.Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10. Mudd
11. Reardo

12. Mayor of Mildura

13. Awesome Fury

14. MartinOC

15 Micbrew

16 JB

18. Curly79

19. Black n Tan

20. mmmyummybeer

21. thearn

Attendees
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5. Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10 Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
17. Yob
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. Mudd
Cubists
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5.Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10. Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. Mudd

Attendees
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5. Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10 Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
17. Yob
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. Mudd
23. GrumpyPaul
Cubists
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5.Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10. Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. Mudd
23. GrumpyPaul

Attendees (Swappers)
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5. Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10 Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
17. Yob
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. Mudd
23. GrumpyPaul

Attendees (Non-Swappers)

Cubists
1. whiteferret
2. Idzy
3. technobabble66
4. AJ80
5.Grainer
6. Nullnvoid
7. DJ_L3THAL
8. Mofox1
9. VP Brewing
10. Mudd
11. Reardo
12. Mayor of Mildura
13. Awesome Fury
14. MartinOC
15 Micbrew
16 JB
18. Curly79
19. Black n Tan
20. mmmyummybeer
21. thearn
22. Mudd
23. GrumpyPaul

Just thought it could be good to have some guidelines for the swap. Some of these have been agreed to previously and some have been talked about with lots of nodding. Let me know what you think.

Swapping
  • Swap beer is bottled in PET bottles (this is for everyone's safety)
  • Swap beer should be either a.) a tried and tested recipe, or b.) something you have brewed for the first time and enjoy
  • Provide enough for all the swappers and an additional for the host (optional provide the rest of the case for the host)
  • Clearly label your bottles with your swap number (I am the one probably most guilty of this)

Cubing
  • 20 litre cubes (if you don't have one, please invest as it is unfair on a.) people filling from the kettle to be faffing about half-filling oversized cubes, and b.) on the other cubers if your extra cube volume does in fact get filled).
  • Bring your cube labelled, rinsed and sanitised
  • It's your brew too, so help out where you can and don't forget to offer
  • Collaboration brew days are about being present, be there ideally throughout the brew, not just at cube collection time

Hopefully there is unanimous agreement on these ones, but feel free to suggest anything else. These can perhaps make their way into the perpetual guidelines for Vic Case Swaps.

EDIT: Removed accidental emoticons

Disagree with 2... it is a chance to experiment and have fun as per all years. it should be a good made beer to the best of your ability..but does not need to be one you enjoy or have tested and proved. i.e. i dont like saison but id brew it.. take mine for example.. popcorn polenta cream ale... it is brewed well but i dont necesarily like it i tasted it first time on weekend.. all beers went to the swap.. i think the host got about 10 extra i wouldnt brew it again but it was fun for the swap

Grainer said:
Disagree with 2... it is a chance to experiment and have fun as per all years. it should be a good made beer to the best of your ability..but does not need to be one you enjoy or have tested and proved. i.e. i dont like saison but id brew it.. take mine for example.. popcorn polenta cream ale... it is brewed well but i dont necesarily like it i tasted it first time on weekend.. all beers went to the swap.. i think the host got about 10 extra i wouldnt brew it again but it was fun for the swap
I see where you are coming from John and there is no problems with experimentation. In this scenario, for me personally, I would bring a couple to the swap for people to try.

The reason for the suggestion is that if you putting in a swap beer that you neither enjoy and would consider brewing again, essentially what you are doing for all intents and purposes is getting rid of a beer you don't want and worst case a terrible beer that you would otherwise dump. For me personally, I would prefer to provide a good beer that I enjoy and hopefully others will. As a consequence, I think this will lift the quality of the beers in the swap. If you don't enjoy the Saison style, then brew an experimental one for yourself and brew something you enjoy for others.

I see the swap as an opportunity to show case a good quality beer and get feedback on it from others, similar to the reason some enter into the competitions. Some of the guys go to great lengths to provide beers that are their pride and joy and have taken significant time to make/age. I don't think it is fair to give something that doesn't pass your own tastes/standards.

Just my 5c.

EDIT: Grammar

Would just like to say what a great experience it was to attend on Saturday and meet some of you guys. I don't usually get on the forum that often so I really didn't know what to expect other than what VP had told me. I assumed most weekend attendees would have been cooked by Saturday morning and have taken it easy from then on in, but, how I was wrong!

Thanks for those that offered their beers for me to try. I will be certainly making up for not bringing any of mine come the July swap at White ferrets, which is only 20 mins from home! :super:

reardo said:
I assumed most weekend attendees would have been cooked by Saturday morning and have taken it easy from then on in, but, how I was wrong!
Can't speak for anyone else, but nope, exactly spot on mate!

Like the rules Idzy. They should be cut and paste so they are at the top of the list each time someone is added. My pet hate is not the PET bottles believe it or not, but people pulling out at the last minute and leaving us short 6-8 beers. So I propose a rule around this to reduce the problem (in red below). Thoughts?

Swapping
  • Swap beer is bottled in PET bottles (this is for everyone's safety)
  • Swap beer should be either a.) a tried and tested recipe, or b.) something you have brewed for the first time and enjoy
  • Provide enough for all the swappers and an additional for the host (optional provide the rest of the case for the host)
  • Clearly label your bottles with your swap number (I am the one probably most guilty of this)
  • ​It is etiquette to provide at least 4 weeks notice if you are unable to provide your swap beer (this is to give those on the reserve list a chance to brew). To this end please list the details of your swap beer at least 4 weeks prior to the day (If you do not and do not respond to a PM, your spot may be given away).

Cubing
  • 20 litre cubes (if you don't have one, please invest as it is unfair on a.) people filling from the kettle to be faffing about half-filling oversized cubes, and b.) on the other cubers if your extra cube volume does in fact get filled).
  • Bring your cube labelled, rinsed and sanitised
  • It's your brew too, so help out where you can and don't forget to offer
  • Collaboration brew days are about being present, be there ideally throughout the brew, not just at cube collection time

Black n Tan said:
  • ​It is etiquette to provide at least 4 weeks notice if you are unable to provide your swap beer (this is to give those on the reserve list a chance to brew). To this end please list the details of your swap beer at least 4 weeks prior to the day (If you do not and do not respond to a PM, your spot may be given away).
Sounds fair and reasonable to me BnT

A couple of rules is good to give people an idea of what goes on. Call it swap instructions if you will. As long as it doesn't get out of hand and alienate people.

To add to this I have an idea for running the actual swap bit of the day.

It is a bit of a hybrid of ideas that I have seen in action. My idea is to make it so that everybody does the work rather than rely on one or two while making sure that everybody ends up with their share.

step 1.png

step 2.png

step 3.png

What do you reckon?

mayor of mildura said:
A couple of rules is good to give people an idea of what goes on. Call it swap instructions if you will. As long as it doesn't get out of hand and alienate people.

To add to this I have an idea for running the actual swap bit of the day.

It is a bit of a hybrid of ideas that I have seen in action. My idea is to make it so that everybody does the work rather than rely on one or two while making sure that everybody ends up with their share.

attachicon.gif
step 1.png

attachicon.gif
step 2.png

attachicon.gif
step 3.png

What do you reckon?
Sounds good to me. The main thing is ensuring that people don't come in early and start taking their beers as all the swaps may not be in place. Lovin' the diagrams! :)

idzy said:
Sounds good to me. The main thing is ensuring that people don't come in early and start taking their beers as all the swaps may not be in place. Lovin' the diagrams! :)
Updated step 3.

step 3.png

Also I am a paint guru.

And a really handy lead for those in other swaps. It always seems to be the same people that get stuck organising things and spending a lot of their time during the day arranging things because no-one else is game to make a start (for fear of stuffing things up), or because they don't know how the others would like it done. An easily explained procedure like your's, MoM, seems just the ticket.! Well done and thanks.

PS.
Also I am a paint guru.
That's OK, I can tolerate the different mindset of artists, and if you wish to incorporate a mural into the rows and columns, power to you! May I suggest, though, you not use paint spray cans; some people object to cleaning up afterwards! ;)

Latest posts

Back