Very Little Gasiness...what Have I Done Wrong?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pist

Reaction score
Gday all

I am relatively new to brewing, so have a lot to learn.

First batch I did, was the coopers lager that came with my brewing kit. Did everything as per instructions using the included 1KG brew enhancer 1. Temp at pitch of yeast was 24 C, which then dropped off and stayed stable at 22C (couldn't get it any lower with the weather at the time, and thought that it might be ok anyway, as the kit says not to go any lower than 21C, am assuming this is because it is an ale yeast and will go to sleep at temps below this).

Anyway, all went well, fermented down to a FG of 1010, OG was 1038, which is probably to be expected with only adding the 1kG brew enhancer. I bottled it after 8 days, which was the point at which I got 2 stable readings with the hydrometer. I took great care to ensure that all the bottles were clean, and I sanitised using a bottle sanitiser I got from Big W, I think it was brigalow the brand, then rinsed each one thoroughly (I am using PET bottles, as these are much safer, dont like the idea of glass bombs potentially going off at random).

I primed the bottles when bottling using the coopers carbonation drops that come with the kit as per the recommended 2 per 740ML bottle. I stored the batch away in the shed in my good icebox, temp in the shed at the time would have been around 26-28. Being in the icebox, I would have thought that the temp would have stayed above the recommended minimum of 18C. When I got a couple of bottles out 2 weeks later to sample, they all seemed to have carbed up nicely, bottles were very firm.

However, after chilling and cracking them, I got a nice head to start with, which disappeared very quickly, and the beer was quite flat, not very gassy at all. What have I done wrong? It can't be the glass that is the problem, because I have sampled it straight from the bottle and its the same. I can only think that either the temp has gotten lower than I thought it would being stored in the icebox in the shed outside and the yeast has gone to sleep before consuming all the sugar, or that the drops dont work as well as claimed.

Lentils usually does it for me...

Seriously though it probably just needs more time and warmer temps, try bringing them inside for a few weeks and see if that helps. Or it could be undissolved carb drops stuck to the bottom, I've only used carb drops twice but I noticed they tend to sink and stick to the bottom and took a few shakes to dissolve (though I never had any carb problems with them).

Welcome aboard, pist
Yeah around this time of year it can take another couple of weeks to carb up. Like Felten said, bring them into a warmer room if you can.

Thanks fellas much appreciated.
Will bring em inside and see how they go

Hi Pist..

A new brewer here to. I had the same problem but some of them had carbonated very well and the other ones were still soft to touch. I left them another couple of weeks and all of them had carbonated fully. The trick is to not be impatient.. i know its hard when its your first brew ( i couldnt help myself and tried one after 2 days lol) but just be patient. Or better yet make a couple more batched in quick succession so that you have more beer to drink.. there for letting the new batched ferment in the bottles for longer :)

Cheers

Marca

Hi Pist..

Or better yet make a couple more batched in quick succession so that you have more beer to drink.. there for letting the new batched ferment in the bottles for longer :)
You should defiantly get a stockpile going for the reasons Marca said but there is also nothing like walking into the brew room and having a couple of different beers to choose from.

check your PET bottle caps for tightness once a week and turn them on a bit harder if necessary.
over time, once they get some pressure up they can tend to losen up a bit and leak.
If you dont have blisters starting to form after bottling\tightening then thet're not tight enough.

IMO, go to glass bottles and crown seals, having used both over a number of years now, glass just seems to be more...."natural".

Cheers,

Fingers

:icon_offtopic: My first post here in over a year I reckon...

+1 for the stockpile effect.

One of the first things I did after getting into brewing was to go and buy another batch of bottles. At about a dollar a bottle (PET) its not going to break the bank and lets you get a couple of brews down and conditioning nicely whilst working your way through the last...

Ive now got about 90 PET (a little less due to a couple of missing/broken ones) and have since been collecting glass coopers longnecks as replacments. Could almost get a brew bottled using just those and there is something just that little bit more satsfying about popping the top of a glass one rather than the placky screw tops...

Easy answer is you should leave them for 4 weeks and then check.

Also try your local restaurants, i went down to a few BYO places with some crates and ask if they could save me a few bottles, might be getting close to 200 stubbies now. Have inherited some tallies and buy PET's when the need arises.

Back