Vert Wyrt Wrt Or Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all.

I wrongly pronounce Wort as it looks. I know most pronounce it wrt.. (phonetically wert).
That's cool and all, but after living with a german for 2 years, i know they wouldnt pronounce it 'wert'.. It would be pronounced 'vert'.
But that's assuming that the 'o' is pronounced as an 'oe' because it is of german origin (the oe is a way of spelling an umlaut typset o, ie. ) .
But then I saw somewhere that in old English it was Wyrt. Now that would make sense from both a spelling and phonetic pronunciation standpoint.

Anyway, can anyone shed any light on the subject. I'm curious.

Cheers
Kieran

I'll bite for the original post, though the rest if this thread is also very entertaining.

In my opinion, it's OK to soften the woubleyew for anglicised versions of certain European terms. So, to me I call it wert, unless I'm feeling like adopting a little bit of an accent, and then I may call it vert. I don't believe in changing the vowel sound, though I have had a little difficulty reconciling myself with trub over troob, till I decided trub was what you get in an aussie brewery, ay.

And I cringe when people call wert wart. Each their own, I spose.

And I cringe when people call wert wart. Each their own, I spose.
I was waiting for that reaction at the last MB meeting (when I gave a small presentation on yeast-starters) and interchanged wert, wort and vert throughout. ;)

@Bribie....

Do you go up stairs, or up stirs?
;)

Do you find it ironic that people who naturally speak with a glottal stop are unable to correctly pronounce the word glottal? :lol:

And why do I pronounce certain words with an open mid-front unrounded vowel, rather than the tense-R vowel ( or the near close near front mid central combination) sound, , even though the tense-R (and the ncnfmc) is the pronuciation of my forefathers? :eek:

Wort, I'm aussie, not American, German or any other nationality. :beerbang:
Good job you aren't from New Zealand, where the correct pronunciation would be "Wort, Bro."

As posted somewhere else, just listen to the reasonably well educated Australian women who are in a cohort running from around 25 to 50 at the moment, they have actually developed an accent which is different to males. This is actually quite unusual in the English speaking world.

"About it" is pronounced "Abardid" , water is "Woda" etc (American style).

A previous cohort of females has just about worked its way through the system but were very prevalent around 10 years ago.
These women pronounce "oh" as "oy" and say "moy moyboyle phoyne is soy cool", almost like they were living in the West of the UK. Men didn't do this.

edit: the cohort we are talking about would be typically schoolteachers, ladies working in banks and health services, public service offices etc. Definitely not the "class" who would say "me fakkin mobiles fakkin stuffed, heapa fakkin shit".

If you are over 25 try it on your missus as a blind test and see what she comes out with.

I've noticed the use of the "correct" pronounciation is largely weighted on the wankiness of the subject.

We don't say fee-lay (fillet), but we say bell-ay (ballet).

It's fuckin wort. Like the Witch's face. Poofs. :D

I agree! If you are Australian then pronounce it the way it looks wort...

Never mind how to pronounce wort.

Being bi-lingual, and of European origin, I am constantly bemused at the cock up of competitors names at the Olympics. You'd think the on air crew might make some basic enquiries as to how the names are to be pronounced, but no, they ignorantly struggle on calling it anyway they see fit.

I say french words right.

Look at moi, look at moi ... Kimmie, look at moi!

@ warra....yeah, but noone from an English speaking background (with the possible exception of South Africans, and they don't count, anyway) could possibly pronounce a Dutch name correctly, unless they had a major throat infection, anyway. :rolleyes:

:lol:

btw, I'm a member of a club you might want to join. Oh, wait...did you say lingual? My mistake, carry on. :blink:

@ Bribie? Why you no answer my questions, Bribie? Why? You does make Mike a saaaad panda. <_<

These women pronounce "oh" as "oy" and say "moy moyboyle phoyne is soy cool", almost like they were living in the West of the UK. Men didn't do this.

My 3 year old daughter has started to speak exactly like that ever since she started going to daycare two days a week. When I look at her 'teachers' I get where she's got it from.
Might have to get the wife to do some 'speech training' with her. Don't want her to get my weird accent either so I better stick to speaking German to her.

Latest posts

Back