Vert Wyrt Wrt Or Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always got pulled up in english! the teacher would pick out my words and say that letter is silent!, Well if its silent why the **** is it in there??? like knife nife, elephant elifant. I spelt the words out how they sounded its not my fault some stupid **** made letters silent lol or if you put a e at the end the whole word sounded different!

Your english teacher just did a facepalm. :icon_cheers:

I always got pulled up in english! the teacher would pick out my words and say that letter is silent!, Well if its silent why the **** is it in there??? like knife nife, elephant elifant. I spelt the words out how they sounded its not my fault some stupid **** made letters silent lol or if you put a e at the end the whole word sounded different!
Originally those letters were not silent, but English Orthography became "finalised" at a time that the language was still changing and was right in the end game of Anglo Saxon and Norman French amalgamating into Modern English. Which was bad timing. Also it didn't help that writers at the time ornamented their works with pompous and pretentious constructions in order to sound highly learned.

"Mayhap that ye Lorde Trevithick whilst enduring the lachrymaceous inveigling thrust Prometheus-like in Sybarytic ..... and I am going to go on for five pages without a full stop and place the verb at the end so listen good. "

And it was patchy even within the UK, For example even today you could still get away with "it's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht" in Scotland without being too severely glassed.

... OK then, what's this?
220px-Filetmignon_bacon.jpg

Fillet Minion?
Fee-lay Min-yon?

Guy walks into a high end patisserie on the way home from work. "How much are them gattocks in the window?"

Oh dear, Sir, they are not gattocks, they are gateaux. And they are $85

Wot, $85 for a cake? --- Bolleaux.

Edit: spelling :wacko:

How the frigg do we pronounce Zywiec Porter while we're at it

and is Saison pronounced Sci Son or Say Son (i've always said it Sci Son)

And here I was pronouncing it 'malt juice'

How silly of me

Soundawake (pronounced bob)

How the frigg do we pronounce Zywiec Porter while we're at it

and is Saison pronounced Sci Son or Say Son (i've always said it Sci Son)

rze-vyetz

say-zo

I have 3 Czech customers, they cant agree on how to say Saaz, well 2 of them cant the other one gives me the evil eye and says she is atec no Saaz... so go figure.
Mark

Saaz is a German word for Žatec like Bombay is an English word for Mumbai.

I would ask a German how to say Saaz if you want the right answer.

It's in there as a way to separate the real humans from the walking Soylent Green!

I see Florian chickened out on Zywiec - he can actually do a very good rendering as they are just over the Border from Berlin and no doubt he sank a few in his student days.

Sounds a bit like "Zur- veets."

Well, I tried Zuwiec, but the dictionary doesn't know polish.

When I was 14 we went on a 10 day school excursion to Krakow in Poland and most of the class ended every night absolutely trashed on their pilsener in the same pub in the old town.
By trashed I mean people passing out in the streets on the way back to the hostel and the likes. Thinking back I'm really wondering what the teachers were there for and why the hell the bar man served us every night. As long as we were back by 11pm everything was good and no one got into trouble with the teachers. Good old times I guess.

Dear old Aussie dialect. Ey.

For example "the route trade" is pronounced "rowt trade" to avoid sniggering due to our use of root to mean sexual intercourse.
I quite like broccolye and EyeTalian. Also Okshan instead of Orkshon for an Auction.

I get a bit Nazi about this, as with many things and when I'm on the phone to an American who refers to their "cell" I pretend I don't know what they mean. Also we had a Pommy friend who moved here and she was in at the RSL and asked where she could find a "cash point". At least half a dozen people said "what's a cash point and can I have one too?"

Australian has actually influenced UK English in the last few decades. Back in the 70s the terms "to whinge" and "doing a U-ie" were unknown but now as common over there as here.

I get a bit Nazi about this,

Is that Nart-Zee or Narzee ? That's the opposite of damned silent letters, there's a mysterious introduction of a 'T' !

While on German, I refuse to even read the word Reinheitsgebot properly, let alone try and say it.

Wort, I'm aussie, not American, German or any other nationality. :beerbang:

Back