Vegie Garden Spring/summer Harvest Brag Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too much of a crop this year as currently building a raised vege patch. Too hot to lay blocks at the moment so the project has gone on hold till it gets cooler.
Just the cherry toms and passionfruit. Oh, and some hops.

IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1773.jpg
IMG_1779.jpg
IMG_1788.jpg

Gregor

Envious of the passionfruit Gregor. I have tried to grow the grafted ones here and have no luck at all with them. Just got a non grafted one to try and hope that gives us some fruit.

Pulled a lot of tomato plants lately as they have finished, and this was the last big harvest for the year.

bench.jpg

Made another batch of spicey relish with them

No photos but I pulled 3 kg of beans out of the garden in the last 4 days. That's from one short (2m) row.

And I still have 2 rows yet to start producing.

Cheers
Dave

Edit: and if the weather is good tomorrow I dig up the spuds.

Envious of the passionfruit Gregor. I have tried to grow the grafted ones here and have no luck at all with them. Just got a non grafted one to try and hope that gives us some fruit.

Pulled a lot of tomato plants lately as they have finished, and this was the last big harvest for the year.

View attachment 34225

Made another batch of spicey relish with them

Hey Mantis,

Had to pick a bunch of green tomatoes today due to the plants collapsing under the weight of them... care for sharing your relish recipe? :icon_cheers:

I make a green tomato chutney when the cold weather stops them from ripening.

Awesome with cold meat on toast for brekky!

EDIT - picking a few zucchinis everyday, snow peas are going along beautifully and the corn is almost ready. Tomatoes are doing better than ever before - due credit to that old pom Peter Cundall and his article on tomato growing in Organic Gardener mag. Picking my 1st crop of boysenberries too. Tasty!

This is the recipe that I used a few years ago when I had loads of green tomatoes. Still have jars of it and its great with cold meats etc

GREEN TOMATO PICKLE

Ingredients:

5.5kg green tomatoes, sliced

2kg onions, sliced

1/2 cup salt

1.5kg sugar

1 x 375mL bottle Wild's Ezy-Sauce

1 tbsp mustard powder

1 tbsp curry powder

1 tbsp cornflour

2 tsp turmeric

Method:

1. Place green tomatoes, onion and salt into a dish. Stand, covered in the refrigerator for 12 hours.

2. Empty tomato mixture into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add sugar and Wild's Ezy-Sauce. Simmer uncovered for approximately 2 hours or until a thick spooning consistency.

3. Combine mustard powder, curry powder, cornflour and turmeric with sufficient water to make a smooth paste. Add to pan, whilst stirring continuously. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.

Makes approximately 5.5 litres

Notes:

Cooking times may very greatly depending on the ingredients, cooking vessel used and the rate of simmer. Use only as a guide

Standard 250mL metric measuring cup and 20mL tablespoon measures have been used. All measurements are level.

starting to get a few mangos now as well, the rockies are very nice as are the watermelons, we had the mini capsicums in a stir fry last night, haven't tried the butternuts yet, way too many toms, can't keep up with them, had 4 cobs of corn wrapped in foil with butter on the bbq the other day, very juicy (marge the rains are here !)

veg1.jpg

cheers
Dave

Just found this.... I have at present Grosse liste tommy's coming through but I have to get to them before the labrador does.
Last week I harvested a pumpkin that came in at 11.5kg and tasted awsome, I have a few more on the way and will get a pic.
Also have strawberries and sugar snap peas, now deceased (destroyed the trellis under the weight in a storm)

I have a forest of zucchini and have only been picking the smaller new ones for roasting and stir fries.

My wife discovered 6 or so monsters in the forest... my 2yo was impressed!

zucchini.jpg

Bread & Butter pickles (good on burgers), tomato sauce for pasta and the like and Dill pickles. The start of the annual bottling season! Sweet corn is not far off.

Plus a nice half bowl of strawberries

Bounty_002.jpg

Bounty_003.jpg

I have a forest of zucchini and have only been picking the smaller new ones for roasting and stir fries.

My wife discovered 6 or so monsters in the forest... my 2yo was impressed!

View attachment 34759

Whilst i do admit that is an impressive sized zucchini it wont be any good for eating.

Once they grow bigger than 5cm in diameter they get tough and woody. Let the kid play cricket with it!

Like you, i have a 'forest' of zucchini, its one vegetable that grows very well in my garden and the bugs dont touch it.

Made zucchini fritters last night and despite my partner being on a diet that involves counting points, my fritters are deemed very healthy. So much so she was able to 'bank' some points.

Basically grated zucchini, squeezed to remove as much water as possible, grated parmesan, herbs of choice (last night i used thyme but have used oregano) a few eggs and a few tbsp of flour. A few pinches of smoked chilli powder when the partner isn't looking. Cooked on the bbq and served with sweet chilli sauce.

Tomatoes are now being picked as well as cucumbers and the corn is tantalisingly close to being ready. I am a corn fiend.

Experimenting this year with our first crack at eggplant and rockmelon.

Whilst i do admit that is an impressive sized zucchini it wont be any good for eating.

Once they grow bigger than 5cm in diameter they get tough and woody. Let the kid play cricket with it!

Like you, i have a 'forest' of zucchini, its one vegetable that grows very well in my garden and the bugs dont touch it.

Made zucchini fritters last night and despite my partner being on a diet that involves counting points, my fritters are deemed very healthy. So much so she was able to 'bank' some points.

Basically grated zucchini, squeezed to remove as much water as possible, grated parmesan, herbs of choice (last night i used thyme but have used oregano) a few eggs and a few tbsp of flour. A few pinches of smoked chilli powder when the partner isn't looking. Cooked on the bbq and served with sweet chilli sauce.

Tomatoes are now being picked as well as cucumbers and the corn is tantalisingly close to being ready. I am a corn fiend.

Experimenting this year with our first crack at eggplant and rockmelon.

:icon_drool2:

That size is still good for pickles and sauces in this house. At least everyone eats it prepared that way.

Mrs I like beer

Few pics of the garden and a wheelbarrow full of sweet corn picked this morning for bottling, yummo

2010_Hops___Gardem_005s.jpg

2010_Hops___Gardem_006s.jpg

2010_Hops___Gardem_007s.jpg

2010_Hops___Gardem_010s.jpg

I always let mine get this big and they all get eaten. Good in pies, stews, shredded in quiches etc.

First 8 large jars out of the pressure cooker. Each jar serves two meals. 5 small jars in the pressure cooker still.

2010_Hops___Garden_003.jpg

That size is still good for pickles and sauces in this house. At least everyone eats it prepared that way.

Mrs I like beer

I always let mine get this big and they all get eaten. Good in pies, stews, shredded in quiches etc.

I stand (sit) corrected.

I pick mine on the small size as I prefer them sweet and. I use them in the fritter recipe i posted as well as my mothers zucchini salad (pickled), frittatas etc as well as sweet mustard pickles.

The few times i have missed one and let it get to that size i damn near needed an axe to chop it!

Each to their own.

Another reason for picking them smaller is it encourages the plant to produce more.

EDIT - wrong person quoted.

Here are some Tomatoes i picked recently

there are a couple big Yellow Wonders in the back, a Purple Cherokee center left, a couple Ox hearts in the middle and lots of Roma's in the front.

I have to pick them before they ripen cause if i leave them on the vine the birds get them first.

I lost over half my toms to grubs, birds and kids kicking socker balls.

cheers

Tomatoes__1728_x_1152_.jpg

Giant Zucchini = Vegetable Marrow. When I was a kid they were the only variety grown and Courgettes took a long time to get accepted in the UK because they were regarded as a sinful waste of a vegetable that should have been allowed to grow full term into marrow.

I always let a couple of mine get enormous and bake them in thick slices stuffed with mince and onions, well brushed with olive oil :icon_drool2:

marrowL_350x350.jpg

Hey doc, you've been to County Durham, lad B)

Dug me spuds last weekend. Not a great crop this year. I usually grow Dutch creams which I know do really well plus one other variety that looks interesting. That way I know I'll get a reasonable crop even if the unknown one fails. This year I planted 2 unknown varieties.- Cranberry red (which has red flesh) and Simpatico. The reds did great. The sympaticos produced about 3 spuds. Very disappointing and the worst yield I have even had from a spud.

I love me spuds. They are the most efficient way of turning land into carbs in the world.

small_IMG_1207.jpg

You can see a few lonely sympaticos to the left (the slightly less red ones).

Latest posts

Back