Vegie Garden Spring/summer Harvest Brag Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so lots of water and what kind of food!
you can buy fertilisers that are specifically for fruit trees/plants. or just good old manure or some blood and bone etc. or some charlie carp or seaweed liquid etc

Wow. That's a really good crop. Mine never do that well. I think the humidity up here is a bit high for them. I'm also short of space so tend to plant a bit close together.

Best I have done is about 30kg from 10 seed spuds.

Cheers
Dave
This year I planted a green manure ( a mixture of mustard and clover) crop over winter and then dug in a month prioir to planting the spuds. This seemed to get rid of any scab problems which I normally suffer from and a huge increase in yield.

Chris

you can buy fertilisers that are specifically for fruit trees/plants. or just good old manure or some blood and bone etc. or some charlie carp or seaweed liquid etc

I find a good helping of cow poo plus blood & bone twice a year and regular feedings with seasol and charlie carp work well.

Some old timers actually recommend planting passionfruit on top of a whole sheep's liver to give it enough nutrients to establish quickly.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks guys... I have to visit the green shed this weekend.

This year I planted a green manure ( a mixture of mustard and clover) crop over winter and then dug in a month prioir to planting the spuds. This seemed to get rid of any scab problems which I normally suffer from and a huge increase in yield.

Chris

My vege garden is pretty tiny. I run 5 beds in the space most people have for one bed (each bed is about 1.5 m square). I'd love to have the space to do it properly and have one bed fallow under a green manure each year but with tiny beds I need to keep each one producing all year to get a worthwhile crop.

One of these days the missus will give in and let me convert more of the back garden...

Cheers
Dave

I just top dress the passionfruit with a bag of cow manure (about $5) and then mulch with sugarcane mulch.
I think they also need to be well drained, so be careful not to over water if the soil is not free draining.

My vege garden is pretty tiny. I run 5 beds in the space most people have for one bed (each bed is about 1.5 m square). I'd love to have the space to do it properly and have one bed fallow under a green manure each year but with tiny beds I need to keep each one producing all year to get a worthwhile crop.

One of these days the missus will give in and let me convert more of the back garden...

Cheers
Dave
I plan to plant out the bed that is going to have spuds with a green manure over winter when not much else will grow then dig in .
ie plant green manure in Autum then dig in in Spring so only one bed at a time has green manure and only for winter.
I have a resonable size garden ( 8 beds 1.5m X 12m) but will expand next spring, cant have enough space as two beds tied up with raspberries and strawberries

Don't reckon I will green manure with clover again as I can't get rid of the bloody stuff, it keeps returning again and again!

Cheers
Chris

I did the same last year with green crop of mustard, clover and 2 other things i cant remember. I was worried about the clover taking over so after i dug it all in I covered the bed with a nice thick layer of lucerne hay and none of it grew back. Also makes a nice mulch for the next crop.

So what is everybody planting out now?

Cheers
James

I have a resonable size garden ( 8 beds 1.5m X 12m) but will expand next spring, cant have enough space as two beds tied up with raspberries and strawberries

Ahh...see... now I really hate you. The one thing I would love to grow above all other things is raspberries. I just can't see me managing it without converting the whole back yard.

One of these days I will win the lottery and retire to a large block in the country.

Cheers
Dave

This shrub is about 2 years old and has literally produced over a hundred eggplant fruit. I didn't realise that they are perennial, being in the same family as capsicum and tomato I would always pull them out when they looked like they had come to the end of their productive life. When I read they were perennials, after the first flush of fruit I pruned it back, fed it mightily on spent grains and hops and it sprang back with another flush. And another. And another. Magic plant, produces far more fruit than we can eat.

eggplant__Large_.jpg

This shrub is about 2 years old and has literally produced over a hundred eggplant fruit. I didn't realise that they are perennial, being in the same family as capsicum and tomato I would always pull them out when they looked like they had come to the end of their productive life. When I read they were perennials, after the first flush of fruit I pruned it back, fed it mightily on spent grains and hops and it sprang back with another flush. And another. And another. Magic plant, produces far more fruit than we can eat.

View attachment 36085

Thats fantastic Bribie, I love eggplant and I cook it just about any way you can.

Nice bribie. I'm having a go at capsicums this season and will try eggplant too. Great on a BBQ.

Nice bribie. I'm having a go at capsicums this season and will try eggplant too. Great on a BBQ.

Perfect time of year to plant them, I started with 3 plants which provided buckets, but eventually culled them out to the strongest one. Eggplant are just about bulletproof in QLD, especially coastal areas :icon_cheers:

Just found this thread! Awesome!

This summer we did well with cucumbers and zucchini, more than we knew what to do with! Luckily my daughter will eat 2 cucumbers a day, and we also made bread and butter pickle and ate marinated grilled zucchini every other night.

We also had rhubarb, carrot, artichokes, pumpkin, rockmelon, and we've got 7 or 8 watermelon that aren't quite ready to harvest. Tomatoes really struggled this year and eggplant gave us nothing. Silverbeet sagged in the heat, as did my hops.

Only have pictures of the carrots and artichokes taken by our neighbour, so here they are...

artuchokes.jpg carrots_1415.jpg bencarrots_1400.jpg

Production from the garden is going of the chart
this is one days production

one_day.jpg

Had another find in the strawberry patch

Snake.jpg

Its the middle of the breeding season and the Tiger snakes can get rather agressive.
This one was tangled in the anti bird netting and I was too much of a nancy to untangle him as he wasn't happy and he was pretty buggered any way.
Have had a Tiger stand up and bark (yes they do bark !!) and come at me at this time of the year.

Chris

Wow Chris i have not met any stroppy ones the year as yet!

Did you have any corn in? as mine failed

Wow Chris i have not met any stroppy ones the year as yet!

Did you have any corn in? as mine failed
Yep getting into the corn now, had an average year but OK. Good year for toms tho. Plenty of fruit but slow to ripen

Cheers
Chris

Both my tomato plants died......due to my four legged friends

I had beans in and they went over time! i think we got about three to four shopping bags full out of an area 1m X 60cm so that was good

first year for the vegi patch so its a work in progress

Back