Vegemite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antex

Reaction score
Has anyone used Vegemite in a brew?
Could be good. But as it is a yeast extract, would this have anything to do with fermentation. I would like to try it but do not want t waste a brew.

Some of the first stouts i ever made had a nice ol vegemite taste, reckon an addition of vegemite would taste just like that! not to sure how you would add it, perhaps at flame out!

If you want liquid Vegemite just add boiling water to a tablespoon of it. A whole 19 litres of vegimite tasting beer/stout, no thanks, I'll just have mine on toast.
Cheers

Vegemite chocolate is as wrong as papa laz.

No doubt invented by some polygamist whose wives are all called Dave.

It's autolysis. A fault and beats me why anyone would want it in beer.
Then again, I'm surprised people want it at all.
I know how unaustralian it is to dislike a foreign owned iconic salty black sludgy toast spread.

have you thought of chucking a chico roll and a meat pie in there as well??
couple of prawns, leftover fat from the sausage sizzle.
and a tablespoon of salt and a knob of butter.
nope. sorry. not drooling :icon_drool2:

Antex said:
A. Has anyone used Vegemite in a brew?

B. Could be good. But as it is a yeast extract, would this have anything to do with fermentation. I would like to try it but do not want t waste a brew.
A. Umm..yes some people have....and there is a reason why it never gets mentioned often..if ever...

B. NO it is NOT good. It it used yeast slurry that has been cooked and salted.

C. Give it a go and let us know how it went. Someone has to take one for the team.

yeah, give it ago….what the hell, it's only 23 litres of what could've been nice beer.

maybe throw in some cheese as well... i've heard they go together well.

but seriously, go for it if you want to Antex, nothing wrong with trying different things….that's how beer was invented, vegemite for that matter too.

that's how the bubonic plague was invented.
people meddlinng with the natural order,

butisitart said:
that's how the bubonic plague was invented.
people meddlinng with the natural order,
Pffttt

Bubonic plague was not invented....it's because they did'nt re-hydrate their kittens...

It was a reason

vegemite is being used by indigenous communities in QLD to brew alcohol in the alco free settlements... google it, true story. (sorry don't know how to copy the link in)
fu**ed if id be drinking it though

last time i rehydrated my cat i had the rspca, the cwa, the local pta and the hideous do-gooder next door all over me.
i hope antex recognises the error of ever starting this thread

butisitart said:
last time i rehydrated my cat i had the rspca, the cwa, the local pta and the hideous do-gooder next door all over me.
i hope antex recognises the error of ever starting this thread
Did you use straight water or wort..?

Makes a hell of a difference according to some..

Could be worse...you could have had the airlock and no-chill police turn up

If you want to enhance a brew with breakfast food, try oats. You're my wife now Dave.

Latest posts

Back