Vegemite Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbeer

Reaction score
There was an article in THE AGE on the weekend about prisons banning Vegemite for fear of the inmates using it in the production of alcohol.
(some vague reference about them 'melting it down' for the yeast)

So would there actually be any viable yeast in a jar of Vegemite? I would have thought in amongst all the washing/bleaching/processing/(and pasturisation?) that they would all be well and truly dead by the time it hits your toast. <_<

Vegemite is a great yeast nutrient.
Probably it is being used with other ingredients such as tomato paste/sauce to help the yeast thrive.

just read that link you put up justin,and ive found my next brew :wub:
seriously though i have heard stories of jail birds burying pumpkins or watermelons filled with sugar and a straw poking out the dirt to allow co2 to escape during the primary fermentation. anything jail style is rough-even if they spit on it for lube :eek:

cheers,dan

If all you had was sugar and a bit of smuggled bread yeast from the kitchens, some vegemite (which is essentially rendered down yeast from brewing) would be an excellent yeast nutrient.

MFS

Back