Valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbbard

Reaction score
I am just about to get a stainless nipple welded on to my new 70L stainless pot. Was just wondering if i would be compromising my set up (besides bling value) if i was to use just a standard nickel plated 1/2 inch ball valve instead of the more expensive ss. Any probs with contamination from the metal? Also can the plastic in the valve that surrounds the ball handle the heat of a boil?
Thanks

No probs with the plated brass jobbies - I'm using them on all my vessels (HLT, mash and kettle) and I'm sure many others here are using them too. they handle the heat of the boil just fine.

Just watch the nut and the washer which holds the handle on - they rusted when I left the tap soaking overnight. Didn't affect anything, only a cosmetic complaint.

dbbard,
You should have no probs with the nickle plated valve and if you don't get direct heat onto the plastic handle it should survive. If you are worried about the handle just wrap it in Al foil with the shiny side out. Even using brass can be made reasonably 'safe' from lead by leaching the lead from the surface with (I think), vinegar and hydrogen peroxide for five min. Details are in 'How to brew' by John Palmer of which his first edition is available free on the internet.

As others have said there will be no problem with the brass, but why? You have a SS pot, you are welding a SS nipple, why whimp out now and attach a brass ball valve? A high quality SS ball valve can be bought reasonably cheap. Members have picked up really nice 3 piece ball valves that can be completely dismantled and cleaned for about $25-$30.

Go the full SS bling.

Cheers
MAH

You can pick up ss 1/2 inch full bore 2 piece ball valves from pro chem for something like $15 a piece. I have these 2 piece valves throughout my system and they have served me well, and should last a lifetime of brewing. Oh and there is the bling factor!!

As MAH has suggested 3 piece has the advantage of being able to be dismantled and fully cleaned.

as I found out yesterday prochem has a minimum over the counter cash sale of $100 if you just rock up. Make sure you have a few things to buy.

If you're in Sydney T&S Valves at Ingleburn are good value - 3 piece stainless valves for @ $25. Trouble is you have to get there on a weekday.

For stainless elbows, t-pieces, sockets, hex-caps etc I've discovered another stainless place at Ingleburn just down the road from T&S called Industrial Fittings Sales in Heald Rd. VERY cheap.

For locknuts & fasteners try M & S Stainless Supplies at Stoddard Rd Prospect - weren't that cheap but had a large selection.

Jez

oops - sorry for the hijack. you just wanted valves :D

If bling's not your thing, you can pick up the two piece brass numbers from Bunnings for about $7 each...

Back