Vale Geronimo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
On recent Brisbane trip I rang the International Hotel at Spring Hill to see if they still did Geronimo. (7.5% American Malt Liqour style).

Sadly it's no more. Rudy retired and the new brewer from Burleigh has put in a different line. The Geronimo has been replaced by a vanilla porter 6.5% abv.

The manager told me that the beers are an improvement on the old range so they've put them up to $8 a pint.

I might do a tribute brew.

Definitely on the cards when Marks Home Brew gets organised and I can get some Malteurope Pale sent up. I've got a sack of Wey Premium Pilsener but that would be like casting pearls before swine. :unsure:

I keep meaning to make it, but still haven't gotten around to it
I do have some old willamette in the keg fridge right now, I could give it a go over the weekend with that I guess

the old soaks from the mens hostel across the road will be disappointed.

8 dollars for the new range isn't too bad, considering that Green Beacon and Newstead charge around that for a schooner. Not that I objected one little bit with the IPA at Newstead :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I used to live across the road from the international $5 pints of decent beer was heaven (also heaven for the various alcoholics around the area). Any guesses at a recipe for the Geronimo?

RIP old friend, the hangovers you caused were some of the worst I have ever experienced

Oh no! I remember many a Friday afternoon with a $5 pint, listening to that bloke on the keyboard. Geronimo certainly was the cheapest 7.5% beer I ever drank.

I doubt if they would have facilities to do a cereal mash at the brewery so I'd be looking at a hefty malt bill ( the Geronimo was dearer than the other range) plus just cane sugar to boost the ABV, then some USA hops but not too many. Chico yeast. I recall that it did have a bit of colour, so a dash of crystal.

Drink responsibly and consult a doctor if pain persists.

geronimo.jpg

True Geronimo story (as posted before). I arranged to meet Tidal Pete, RdeVjun, Nick B and a couple of others at the International late afternoon. I turned up way too early, spotted the Geronimo that I took to be an APA and sat out on footpath benches with a pint, then a second pint. It struck me as a bit sweetish and could have done with more hops to balance. I started feeling a bit flushed and strangely unsteady. Maybe I was coming down with the flu. Pete arrives: hey what are you drinking? So we got onto the Geronimo. Then the lads turned up and they got on the Geronimo.
My shout, I go up to the bar and the barman says "I see you are all on the Geronimo, did you know it's 7.5% ABV".

:party: :party: :party:

That recipe would be close to the Geronimo Bribie.

The Loop Bus has been replaced by the City Glider in my trips to the big smoke but I'll give the new International craft brewery the onceover when it opens.

Latest posts

Back