Geronimo Attack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Went to the International Hotel Spring Hill to meet up with a couple of AHB guys - I got there first about 3.30 after a pint of OSH at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow. At the IH they have 4 standard house beers but I noticed a fifth tap hidden away among the Tooheys and Carlton, so I had a pint of "Geronimo". Irish Red type colour, nice faint nose of C hops upfront, rich, malty but bloody sweet. I assumed it was some sort of attempt at an American Amber and they had mashed it way too high or something.

So I had a couple, then the lads started turning up and I directed each to the Geronimo tap - by that time I was feeling a bit squizzy and assumed it was the heat and hoped I wasn't coming down with something. Then one of the guys said "hey the barman has noticed we are all on Geronimo and just mentioned that it's over seven and a half alcohol by volume :eek:

Then it clicked, that sweetness was definitely reminiscent of my MoFo heabanger Midnight Train Malt Liquor !
At $5.50 a pint it's definitely a good bang for the buck :p

You and your bloody malt liquor....

But it was a nice beer. Had one when I arrived as well, and soon migrated back to the Irish Red due to the excessive ABV, and the fact I had to be at work at 7 this morning.

Very nice beer though, perhaps a few more finishing hops may add to the aroma, and they definitely need to serve it warmer than the -20 it was coming out of the tap yesterday!

Enjoyable day, made even better by the discovery of this beer!

Cheers

Midnight Train Red version. Hmmmm I've got some W - 1056 yeast cake spare, and a shitload of Carared
And polenta
And ricez
And sugaz

And American hops.

Don't make me do it, please don't make me do it :eek: :eek:

midnight_train_.jpeg

BribieG if you don't do it mate, nobody will. Then we'll never know if it's a good idea or not!

I've got to do an APA for the March mini comp, then I'll do the Red Midnight Train next up :)

Latest posts

Back