Bribieg's Interesting Day Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Took the train into Brisbane today and catered for two of my hobbies:
I've covered Sydney quite comprehensively but very few terraces were built in Brisbane due to the Undue Subdivision of Land Prevention Act of 1885 which set a minimum street frontage of around 10 metres. Saved us from the Bubonic Plague as experienced by Sydney, but resulted in Brisbane being very spread out and this has always haunted the modern city re services and infrastructure provision, for example much of Brisbane was still on dunny carts till the 1970s.
Today's task was to pick up all the terraces North of the River apart from Cook's Terrace at Milton, too bloody far to walk, and the couple in the CBD which I have good shots of already. Walked up the Hill from Roma Street and shot the usual suspects on Petrie Terrace, but revisited a very secluded row behind there on Wellington Street.

wellington_thumbnail.JPG

Then I walked over to Spring Hill where surprise surprise the International Hotel brewpub beckoned the parched BribieG.

international_thumbnail.JPGbrewhouse_thumbnail.JPG

Nice basic Pilsener with clean malt and perfect tropical quencher, followed by a lovely Irish Red you could use for a traffic light - Rudy wasn't brewing today - at $4.50 a pint :eek: I sank a few. Didn't try the Geronimo (a sort of APA) or the wheat beer but I was pleased to see that a lot of the locals were quaffing out of pints of Rudy's work.

Proceeded to Union Street Spring Hill which boasts some beautifully preserved terraced workers cottages, then worked my way to Wickham Terrace where there are a couple of good examples, and round the corner in Berry Street where there is a row of fine 3 storey Victorians.

union_st_thumbnails.JPGberry_st_thumbnail.JPG

And that just happened to be 200 metres from the Platform Bar :party: where I sank a Chris Moss APA and slept on the train back to Caboolture.

Great day out. The International is bloody excellent, I reckon we should organise a session there for Bris members if we could maybe meet centrally and take a maxi cab. If the International wasn't so hard to get to it would by my Brisbane watering hole for sure.

Bribie... Nice to see some appreciation of higher density inner urban dwellings. Hopefully you got down lilley street and Birley street just off wickham terrace to see some nice original examples alongside a few quality refurbs. Used to do a spot of architecting for a smaller practice that did some work around there... Some nice examples. Sadly it's nothing but large scale commercial, health and education projects for me now.

I'd definately be up for some "International" beer drinking whenever a session can be put together.

Is that Bonj outside the International far left being told to drink up and bugger off? :lol:

Is that Bonj outside the International far left being told to drink up and bugger off? :lol:

:lol: Yep , and I think that is winkle down near the water truck pretending not to know Bonj.

I've covered Sydney quite comprehensively but very few terraces were built in Brisbane due to the Undue Subdivision of Land Prevention Act of 1885 which set a minimum street frontage of around 10 metres. Saved us from the Bubonic Plague as experienced by Sydney, but resulted in Brisbane being very spread out and this has always haunted the modern city re services and infrastructure provision, for example much of Brisbane was still on dunny carts till the 1970s.
Interesting bit of history that, I didn't know you had an excuse for being so backward ... I just thought it was the way it was up there. :wacko:

Great day out. The International is bloody excellent, I reckon we should organise a session there for Bris members if we could maybe meet centrally and take a maxi cab. If the International wasn't so hard to get to it would by my Brisbane watering hole for sure.

2 for 1 meals on the weekend ;) .
I wish the beers weren't so hit and miss, the Irish Red is usually the pick and I've had a good session on the Pils - last visit around Xmas, I couldn't drink the Pils and only just struggled through the Irish Red :( .

Took the train into Brisbane today and catered for two of my hobbies:
Today's task was to pick up all the terraces North of the River apart from Cook's Terrace at Milton, too bloody far to walk, and the couple in the CBD which I have good shots of already. Walked up the Hill from Roma Street and shot the usual suspects on Petrie Terrace, but revisited a very secluded row behind there on Wellington Street.

View attachment 36984

Then I walked over to Spring Hill where surprise surprise the International Hotel brewpub beckoned the parched BribieG.

View attachment 36985View attachment 36986

Nice basic Pilsener with clean malt and perfect tropical quencher, followed by a lovely Irish Red you could use for a traffic light - Rudy wasn't brewing today - at $4.50 a pint :eek: I sank a few. Didn't try the Geronimo (a sort of APA) or the wheat beer but I was pleased to see that a lot of the locals were quaffing out of pints of Rudy's work.

Proceeded to Union Street Spring Hill which boasts some beautifully preserved terraced workers cottages, then worked my way to Wickham Terrace where there are a couple of good examples, and round the corner in Berry Street where there is a row of fine 3 storey Victorians.

View attachment 36987View attachment 36988

And that just happened to be 200 metres from the Platform Bar :party: where I sank a Chris Moss APA and slept on the train back to Caboolture.

In my single days (62- 68) I lived on Gregory terrace and the International Hotel was my local. Used to catch the trolley bus home for fivepence from town or a cab from outside the Grasham if I was too pissed 2/9. The publican Justin Monahanused to give us a key to the pub in case we needed to get more kegs when we were having a party - most Friday nights and Saturday. We had a temprite in the flat. I still have it in my garage and have been toying with the idea of using it for a pre-chiller.

Latest posts

Back