Using Yeast From Bottom Of Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
Anyone done it? Recycled and build a starter from keg dregs? Could almost just make the starter in the keg, no?

Cheers - Mike

Anyone done it? Recycled and build a starter from keg dregs? Could almost just make the starter in the keg, no?

Cheers - Mike

Guess its the equivilant as getting it from bottle dregs, you're putting in sterile CO2 so i cant see why not. As stated, the idea would be to harvest after fermentation however.

Yeah, I reckon it'd be interesting. I may brew tonight and pull some off to make a starter and see how it fares!

I'm not sure how the yeast would go at the end of a keg with contacting nothing but co2... Love to hear how it goes though

MVZ,

wouldn't the yeast which flocculates out in the bottom of the keg mainly represent the "slower" branch of the family & the fast and medium flocculators will have already have dropped out in the primary & secondary fermetner (assuming you use a secondary). Therefore the yeast left in the keg may not be the best representation of the strain. The same situation applies to what's left in a bottle conditioned brew as fourstar describes.

It is worth a try, but I'd suggest using a sample saved from a starter/slant/primary yeast cake before using what is left in a keg - like Cortez suggests.

Let us know how it goes if you try it.
beers

crozdog

I agree with Crozdog,

The yeast left will be the slow floculating yeast and all the healthy high flocking yeast would have dropped out in the fermenter. Also yeast can be stressed by being in alcohol for long periods of time, as would be the case in the keg.

Anyway thats all theory, give it a go and see how it goes

Kabooby :)

MVZ,

wouldn't the yeast which flocculates out in the bottom of the keg mainly represent the "slower" branch of the family & the fast and medium flocculators will have already have dropped out in the primary & secondary fermetner (assuming you use a secondary). Therefore the yeast left in the keg may not be the best representation of the strain. The same situation applies to what's left in a bottle conditioned brew as fourstar describes.

It is worth a try, but I'd suggest using a sample saved from a starter/slant/primary yeast cake before using what is left in a keg - like Cortez suggests.

Let us know how it goes if you try it.
beers

crozdog

+1

And there's a good chance that a fair bit of the "slurry" is protein based break material too....

Cheers,
TL

I agree with Crozdog,

The yeast left will be the slow floculating yeast and all the healthy high flocking yeast would have dropped out in the fermenter. Also yeast can be stressed by being in alcohol for long periods of time, as would be the case in the keg.

Anyway thats all theory, give it a go and see how it goes

Would this process be any different to harvesting yeast from Coopers bottles, (long duration with contact to alcohol)?
Or does Coopers add aditional fresh yeast before bottling?

Would this process be any different to harvesting yeast from Coopers bottles, (long duration with contact to alcohol)?
Or does Coopers add aditional fresh yeast before bottling?

I guess not, I personnaly have not done it. I would expect that if you did a side by side comparison with the bottle yeast and a fresh yeast that you would tell the difference. Not saying that you can't make a good beer with the coopers bottle yeast as I am sure many brewers have done it, I just think the profile would be different from a fresh culture.

Back