Using The Left Overs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or if lazy just ditch the remaing few litres...

Or start a blended keg as others sometimes do, top up blend keg each time with whatever portion of beer remains. You can get some interesting blends this way and it changes everytime you top it up!

I have done this a few times. Never had a problem or infection. I stored the extra beer in a 10 lite container with tapand fitted a piece of hose over the tap to decant into the keg. Close the keg up and put gas back on for 30mins. All ok. I have also been know to make a slops keg from various brew leftover. Had some pretty interesting results, and for a while, it was the keg of choice by everyone. Haven't done a slops keg for 12 months as Inow brew to suit my keg size.
I don't understand the need to brew 23 litrtes unless you want to bottle some as well. If I need some bottles for any reason, I just decant from the tap.
Give it a go - as long as you aren't pouring the beer from a great height, then it should be ok.
Cheers
LagerBomb

If I need some bottles for any reason, I just decant from the tap.
Give it a go - as long as you aren't pouring the beer from a great height, then it should be ok.

Shove a bit of hose up the tap that is then long enough to reach the bottom of the receiving bottle. Budget CPBF, works pretty good.

Personally I can't see the need to brew 23 Litres. Only plausible reason is if you are brewing kits and are too scared to do something that is not in the recipe under the lid.
If doing kit beers, only brew 20L (lose 1 litre to trub etc) and you have 19L for the keg - you'll find your brews have more flavour. If doing all grain, scale your recipe to 20L using some sort of brewing software.

G'day all

I brew 23 ltrs of beer at a time, but can only hold 19 ltr's in my kegs.

So my question is : does anybody save the left-over 2-3 litres of brew to a small container, keep chilled and add to the keg after an equivalent

amount has been consumed out of the keg. ie fill keg to 19 litres, drink 3 litres, then add the leftover 3 litres , re gas keg and drink on.

I am guessing that there might be some sanitation and contamination issues maybe but done properly is this is a viable idea?

wad da ya all think?

I'll use the extra for my next yeast starter sometimes. Wouldn't be tipping it in the keg! :icon_vomit:

I usually just bottle the extra so I have a nice little collection of alternative brews to choose from if I want something I haven't got on tap.

I have actually been thinking of doing 27-28L brews just to get the most out of my time. I find that I only have the time to do 1 brew every 2-3 weeks and I am chasing my tail to keep stocked. Therefore, I figured if I spend an extra 3 minutes on the mill then I could get the extra for buggar all loss in time. More beer in minimal time is a big plus for me atm. May even look at filling 1 x 19L and 1 x 9L keg. However, I do like the choice that bottles can give at times.

I'll use the extra for my next yeast starter sometimes. Wouldn't be tipping it in the keg! :icon_vomit:

I assume you mean pre-ferment. i.e. brew 23L, 20L into the fermenter and 3L aside for starters? That's what I do sometimes, if my boil off evap isn't exactly as calculated.

Filling kegs is thirsty work, ay ay...

I brew 20 or 40L which gets me 19L or 2x19L into kegs. If I miss my OG or something and end up with 21L or so in a fermenter I just fill up an empty PET bottle (1.25 or 2L) and use a carbonator cap to rapidly carbonate (squeeze air out of bottle, attach gas, shake crap out of it, done)

I can then drink the 1.25L and let the actual keg condition longer before attacking it

Great feedback guys. Thanks.

Its true that I don't really want to bottle anymore.

This has given me a few good ideas on what to do with the remaining couple of litres of brew and I think I will go ahead and try the method I proposed and see how it goes.

I never thought about only making 20 ltr's instead of 23. ( yes I am a K&K man) If it does indeed improve the flavor of the finished product I will give that a go as well. Has anyone got any further feed back on this topic?

Oh, and if I use the last 3 ltr's as a starter for my next brew is there anything I should be careful of ,temperature or sanitation wise.

Cheers Jim

Latest posts

Back