Using Star San

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question re: generic products.

G&G sells "Defender" (or used to - it's been awhile since I ventured out that way) that calls for 2-3ml/litre, which seems overkill to me, when it's a standard 1.5-1.6ml/litre for Star-San.

Anyone in the know want to provide insight?

shaunous said:
You'd be using tap water though Yeh. I use tank water and have never seen it go cloudy.

But Yeh, I waste a bit compared to others on here, but it's cheap enough.
yes normally tap water but sometimes it's done while i'm brewing and then it's filterd water to 0.4 micron

GABBA110360 said:
yes normally tap water but sometimes it's done while i'm brewing and then it's filterd water to 0.4 micron
And still goes milky? Dang, maybe try some distilled or spring water Gabbs.

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Hmm. I hope I'm ok here. I starsaned a whole brew of bottles and bottled today, but i didnt remove the starsan from the bottles before i filled.. just sprayed 2/3 times @ 1.6ml per 1 litre and let sit for a spell and filled em up and capped? Is this ok? Finding this product very strong to spray in just finished bottles before storage, clears any gunk.
yes, this is ok; but I tend to let the bottles sit, THEN upend them and pour off the excess StarSan, just before filling the bottle.
I mean, why not?

Back