Using stainless LPG tanks for home brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uniiqueuser

Reaction score
Question for anyone with half an idea..... Assuming you could get inside an automotive LPG tank made from stainless steel, could they be scrubbed out sufficiently to be re-used for brewing beer or for kegging? Can you get rid of the smell of the gas?

I've seen these used for home made hot water boilers and drinking water tanks for camping. Wondering if anyone has tried, or if it is a stupid idea for some reason. :icon_vomit:

I believe I remember seeing a 300l boiler made from a tank but I seem to remember it being an old hot water service. Either way unless you have tig welding skills or someone to do it cheap refitting a tank may well move costs upwards. Others may well have more specific advice. I would think a decent acid bath would clean away any residuals from previous useage. Though I'd be sure to atleast see if I could find someone to confirm that.

Dropping a match inside would also get rid of any residuals.

I've done some further googling and it seems that a few washes with household bleach will get get rid of the smell.

I don't think a lit match is good idea. Unless it's one of those 'hold my beer' moments :lol:

TIG welding... no problem ;)

Bleach is bad for SS, I'd go a heavy couple of washouts with nappysan and a quick nitric acid bath follow by a good rinse with water, clean and prepped for welding.

The residual smell is there for a while I've been repurposing them for a few years now
Even after burning a couple out there's a hint of gas smell left over

Back