Using S-05 At Its Lowest Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwifirst

Reaction score
I have been building up my homebrew equipment. It seems to me that when ever I add something new to solve a brew issue I create a new one.

So I bought a freezer and a temp control. Yeah, now I can brew all summer long. I am about to start my first AG, its an APA. Problem is I have a Scottish ale and 2 carboys of cider in the freezer that I wanted to keep around 10c. I really do not want to crank them back up to 15c at this stage. So was wondering, if I add 2 packs of s-05 and create a starter, if the yeast would still work, albeit slowly, at say 12-13c? I know the packet says 15-20 but you would imagine there must be some leeway in those temps.

Time is not an issue, since I also bought a kegerator and have a couple of kegs on the go :)

I am all excited about the first AG, made up my own recipe and stuck trying to decide to use the s-05 or try using the 34/70. Which may not be ideal for the apa.

Santa bought (is bringing) me a nice big 46l brew pot too :)

Boxing day is going to see me spending 5 hours brewing. Can you tell that i am excited?

Where are you? What are ambient temps like? May be an option to ferment it outside the fridge.

Where are you? What are ambient temps like? May be an option to ferment it outside the fridge.

I am in Melbourne, the temp range for the next 3 days range from 9c to 28c, ie typical Melb weather.
So it is in the fridge or nothing. I am thinkign that I can run that S-05 at 13c without to much problems, it is a very versatile yeast after all.

While the range of temperature in Melbourne does vary a bit, keep in mind that a 20L+ vessel of liquid will take a while to change temperature. So while the maximum daytime temperature may be forecast to be 28oC, it is unlikely that the liquid inside your fermenter will reach anywhere near this.

Two suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Fill the fermenter with water and measure the temperature at the hottest time of day to see what the temperature of the liquid is (and keep in mind that fermentation will also generate some heat so you may need to add a couple of degrees to the measured temperature). If temperature is acceptable then proceed to add yeast to your wort.

Suggestion 2: If you are really averse to fermenting outside the fridge, select a different yeast. S189 has been suggested. I've used Nottingham around 14-15oC. Of you could try use S05 and see how it goes. If you don't see signs of fermentation after 48 hours then pitch another yeast.

sap.

As above - unless you get several 40 degree scorchers in a row, you can keep the temp pretty consistent. Use a water bath, get the brew to the right temp for pitching (probably several degrees below desired ferment temp) and she will take care of herself. It's mainly the first few days of ferment that are the most important although consistent control over the whole course is better.

I'm also Melbourne based and do not have electronic fermentation control. I am, after more than a year's AG brewing, setting that up but in the meantime, except for the hottest part of summer, I tend to do OK. Measured the temp of three brews yesterday after it warmed up a bit. The one in the water bath was 19 (actual beer, not stick on) other two were 20-21 (this was late afternoon).

If you let the yeast get started under the warmer ambient temperatures for a day or so the heat generated from the active ferment should keep it warmish in the fridge. No reason you can't wrap an old blanket or whatever around it too to offer some insulation. I have done this in the past with a generous pitch of S-05 fermented in the lager fridge, generally results in a clean ferment - don't expect much yeast character.

I have read with interest your thoughts. It leads me to 2 possibilities.

Assuming the weather is going to be in the mid to late 20's this next week

1. Brew out of the freezer at a temp of approx 20-24c
2. Brew in the freezer at a temp of 16c

Number 2 will effect the following

A scotch ale just racked and conditioning and 10l of cider in a secondary.
Probably easier to brew the APA in the freezer at 16c and have the above two raise the temps for 2 weeks, then chill everything down to 10 for 4 weeks. I doubt another 2 weeks at 16c would do anything to the ale, its still a temp rest, even if slightly warm, right?

I think your plan number 2 is the go. For plan 1, remember the ferment temp can be several degrees over ambient when it is going full bore - exactly the time you don't want it warm.

No harm in having those other finished brews at 16 degrees post ferment - think of what most your bottles would go through on the shelf - it is an easier time than that.

Back