Using Rice In A Summer Pale Ale.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using rice in most of my beers be it a Lager or Ale with awesome results. The flavour characterisitics when using Jasmine rice instead of plain long grain is evident in both challenging and non challenging beers. I have also had good results with the use of oats. Great mouth feel and flavour. Not 10 sure of the use of corn however would never rule it out ;-) .. Beer is in my opinion completely pliable and the different flavours and experinece that can be created by the use of ?? odd additions is sometimes very successful... but then again potentially horendous too..

Matt

Jesus christ. If you want a light beer just brew with pale malt and/or pilsener malt and keep hopping low. rice/corn etc are cost cutting methods.

While modern commercial breweries may use them as such (although likely they use them as much to lighten body without sacrificing alcohol) both rice and corn have a very long history in grain based fermented beverages.

Bit of a sweeping statement

snip.... rice/corn etc are cost cutting methods.

hmmm...over here:

1kg of Pilsener malt cost ~ 50 Euro Cent.
1 kg Polenta cost ~ 1.49 Euro
1 kg of cheapest rice, cost ~ 2 Euro

is it really a cost cutting method ?

:icon_cheers:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 5 - BribieG's Lager
Brewer: under-
Asst Brewer:
Style: Lite American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 80.00 %
0.50 kg Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 10.00 %
14.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.10 %] (75 min) (FirHops 16.9 IBU
15.00 gm Saaz [8.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 10.00 %

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.50 kg

Or you can leave out the rice and do this -

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 6 - Kiwi Blonde (Mark)
Brewer: under-
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 18.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 88.16 %
0.35 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC) Grain 8.82 %
0.12 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.02 %
15.00 gm Motueka [6.80 %] (75 min) (First Wort HopHops 13.5 IBU
10.00 gm Motueka [6.80 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
10.00 gm Motueka [6.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 3.97 kg

The Kiwi Blonde is a recipe I got off (mje1980). Its a light, tasty ale around 4% and a bloody summer cracker.

Another nice drop out of the recipe database is Fents cream ale, based on Jamils recipe. Goes down good with the swill drinkers.

While modern commercial breweries may use them as such (although likely they use them as much to lighten body without sacrificing alcohol) both rice and corn have a very long history in grain based fermented beverages.

Bit of a sweeping statement

i disagree. Grapes also have a long history of use in fermented beverages, as do apples and many other things. but as far as i know there isnt any style of beer that has corn or rice in it...the germans dont use it, eastern europe doesnt, england doesnt, the monks dont...however, budweisser do, corona do etc

Ps i didnt say you cant use it, i said it is unessecary, which is in my opinion 98.66% (bradmans average) correct.

Asian styled lagers often use rice. Asahi, Sapporo, Kirin, Tsingtao, Chang (not the exported kind though)...the list goes on.

hmmm...over here:

1kg of Pilsener malt cost ~ 50 Euro Cent.
1 kg Polenta cost ~ 1.49 Euro
1 kg of cheapest rice, cost ~ 2 Euro

is it really a cost cutting method ?

:icon_cheers:

Although i find those figure slightly strange, they are really missing the point. The point is kg of grain to abv. Getting the required alcohol with the least amount of grain. As you know the fermentable from rice are converted almost entirely to alcohol..

Asian styled lagers often use rice. Asahi, Sapporo, Kirin, Tsingtao, Chang (not the exported kind though)...the list goes on.

Traditonal styles? rice is used in asia because its cheap and convenient...this just proves my point.

Those who think rice isn't nice in a beer should add it to their beer! I've added up to 30% and can't fault it's presence. Only good things come from using rice IMO, except the hassle of cooking it up first. I wish I could just grind it with the grain....

Our Westphalian cousins haven't traditionally used rice on account of the rarity of paddy fields in Germany (guess what the most common adjunct is in Asia?).

You use what you got, innit.

We've now got Coles and Woolies (and Bribie has Aldi), and Flanneries and all manner of starch boutiques. Anyone for a Chestnut and mung bean Lite?

Never tried it personally, (brewing with rice that is), but appreciate the benefits: a milder ferment without the graininess - bloody useful if you want to showcase a hop, or just upping the alcohol - for example(s).

a milder ferment without the graininess - bloody useful if you want to showcase a hop, or just upping the alcohol - for example(s).

It also imparts a really nice flavour that's difficult to describe if used in diastatic-pushing amounts. Bribie calls it "creamed rice" and I agree, but a better way I think to describe it I found the other day: if you keep your rice in a container, put your nose in the container and sniff - you get a faintly-sweet, fudge, vanilla smell. Sniff a bag/container of rice!

i disagree. Grapes also have a long history of use in fermented beverages, as do apples and many other things. but as far as i know there isnt any style of beer that has corn or rice in it...the germans dont use it, eastern europe doesnt, england doesnt, the monks dont...however, budweisser do, corona do etc

Ps i didnt say you cant use it, i said it is unessecary, which is in my opinion 98.66% (bradmans average) correct.

How about CAP?

....and Bradman's average is 99.94

Jesus christ. If you want a light beer just brew with pale malt and/or pilsener malt and keep hopping low. rice/corn etc are cost cutting methods.
What a rubbish statement. Spoken by someone who has obviously not brewed with rice or corn. These adjuncts definitely add a textural lightness and a flavour that you don't achieve with barley malt. They have their place in the brewing of good beer just as much as any other ingredient.

- Snow.

What a rubbish statement. Spoken by someone who has obviously not brewed with rice or corn. These adjuncts definitely add a textural lightness and a flavour that you don't achieve with barley malt. They have their place in the brewing of good beer just as much as any other ingredient.

- Snow.

You guys are such a bunch of girls. You all band together to declare ppls comments 'outrageous and simply incorrect'

ps why arent you guys at work?

quote name='Nashmandu' date='May 25 2010, 03:31 PM' post='635573']
You guys are such a bunch of girls. You all band together to declare ppls comments 'outrageous and simply incorrect'

ps why arent you guys at work?
[/quote]

Go away

trollspray.jpg[

Latest posts

Back