Using Low-pressure Reg For Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodos

Reaction score
Greetings all, I'm trying to get my kegs set-up with my new beer engine and am looking for a tight-arse way to keep a CO2 blanket over the beer.

I'm hoping to organise a CO2 bottle this week, but am yet to buy a regulator. I know brewers often use beer engines with a cask breather but I figure that would need a regulator anyway.

A look at this page suggests I can use a low-pressure LPG regulator, like we'd use on a barbecue, to keep a constant 2.8kPa pressure on the beer - enough to allow gas into the keg but not enough to push beer out.

The only thing I'm unsure of is how to connect one of these regulators to a standard CO2 bottle thread (from what I can find on the interweb these are usually a type 30 thread - NFI what that really means).

I've found these regulators online, and figure something like this adaptor might help, but then to get that connected to the gas bottle is what is troubling me.

Any tips? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I'd have concerns about using a BBQ regulator, I don't think they are designed to take the much higher pressure of a CO2 bottle, you might end up popping something in it and losing all your gas.

Sounds dodgey to me. interesting idea though. Just get a CO2 reg...they aren't that expensive...and atleast you know it won't blow up in your face

Just my 2c.

Pok

Thanks guys, I didn't know much about the different pressures involved in different gasses. I do now!

Back