using last brews yeast in fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggy1

Reaction score
Hi Im new to this all grain only done 2. I sealed the fermenter yesterday and thought I could do a new brew tomorrow, putting the brew straight into the last yeast in the fermenter. Is this possible and how long can it sit idle. I know this is a bit of ramble but learning all the terms is a bit hard on a old brain thanks for any help you guys can give.

Do you mean pouring fresh wort onto a yeast cake? Plenty of people do it. I prefer to collect a cup of yeast slurry and tip it into another fermenter or at least clean the same one.

I also do this a lot. (Collect a cup, not dump on the yeast cake). Some people disagree for whatever reason but I find the yeast works better in subsequent brews. Also saves a couple of bucks.

Unless you are brewing something quite strong using the whole yeast cake would be a rather large over pitch.

1/3 to 1/2 of the cake should put you in a the normal pitching rate area. It is hard to know without knowing what you brewed and what you are planning on brewing.

You should also look up yeast washing.

I did the same for the first time last night. Kegged an Irish red and put another (different grain bill but still an Irish red) straight on top of the yeast cake. Had an inch of krausen in 3 hours, but it's settled down now. The glad wrap is as high as I've ever seen it, so it's a very vigorous fermentation but I'm sure it'll be fine

II'm not stressing about it and going to have another home brew

you know you get much less flavour development pitching onto a whole cake?

lag and the growth phase are important for developing yeast character and ester profile.... etc etc..

YMMV

Thanks for all the help from you guys I think I may leave this one and try collecting yeast on my next brew. Happy brewing

When you bottle / keg, just give the yeast cake a good swirl until it's runny like cream and collect half a litre or so in a jar. A really good jar is a well sanitised heavy glass "passata" jar, then cling wrap it. (the lids have a plastic insert that can't be guaranteed sterile so chuck the lid and just cling wrap it tightly). Pop in fridge and the sample will last for weeks.

As Yob says, the brew develops its flavours and characteristics within the first couple of days and if you are just forcing it to go straight into fermentation as opposed to the lag and growth phase you'll get beer for sure, and it looks impressively vigorous, but perhaps not end up with what you were aiming for.

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. The process is fairly simple and as long as you sanitise properly, it's unlikely you would have any issues.

I have done exactly what you are suggesting once……only once.

Bottled a pale ale, was a very nice beer too , then tipped a fresh cube straight on to the yeast cake.
One of the worst decisions I have made yet in my very short brewing hobby.

The brew fermented out very quickly, about 3 days, smelled awesome too, then over the next few days I noticed a different smell appearing.
Smelled like nail polish remover, acetone………infected !!!!!

That infection stayed in my fermenter, possibly the fridge and ruined about 3 batches.

I'll never do it again.
As suggested above, collect a nice sample and keep it, or tip it in to a clean fermenter and pitch on to that.
Good luck !!

CF

Haven't had any sort of infection and have done a few of these different variations.

I'd say the safest/easiest way is grab half of your original slurry in something sterile, clean and sterilise your fermenter, or use a 2nd fermenter.

Add wort and pitch yeast, could be done in next to no time.

Latest posts

Back