Using kegerator for fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh clever, so your creating a closed system for the transfer I gather? Will give it a go, thanks for the tip. :)
It's not a true closed system as I am not pushing the CO2 in the keg back into the fermenter, but it's a super easy and close method, with not too much oxidation risk.

Doing it this way though, make sure you vent the keg first before you hook up the tube to the liquid out post, otherwise you'll spray starsan or whatever remains in your empty keg everywhere!

Ok, next question.... after I assume that fermentation has finished i.e. by taking a hydrometer reading. How long do I have to let it sit for the yeast to "clean up"? Does this clean up process have to be at the same temperature as fermentation, or can I cold crash during this process? Thanks in advance. :doofus:

Ok, next question.... after I assume that fermentation has finished i.e. by taking a hydrometer reading. How long do I have to let it sit for the yeast to "clean up"? Does this clean up process have to be at the same temperature as fermentation, or can I cold crash during this process? Thanks in advance. :doofus:
Just a few days. Same temperature or a couple of degrees higher than fermentation temp. Don't cold crash it or you'll send the yeast to sleep.

Yep, say fermentation completed in 7 days, you can leave it to clean for 4 days, cold crash for two, and then keg/bottle on the 14th day :)

I would cold crash it for longer than two days. It will take one day just to get down to that temp. A few days to a week is common.

Thanks again for those who have offered advice. Have kegged my brew today after 5 days of cold crash. Now in kegerator doing the carbonation thing. Question - what temperature should I be aiming for to serve the beer, its a Citra Pale Ale. Thanks in advance.
PS - Managed to shower myself in beer during whilst setting up the kegerator.,.........dont ask !!!!! Yeah you can all laugh, bet I am not the only one. Cheers big ears!!

Thanks again for those who have offered advice. Have kegged my brew today after 5 days of cold crash. Now in kegerator doing the carbonation thing. Question - what temperature should I be aiming for to serve the beer, its a Citra Pale Ale. Thanks in advance.
PS - Managed to shower myself in beer during whilst setting up the kegerator.,.........dont ask !!!!! Yeah you can all laugh, bet I am not the only one. Cheers big ears!!
Well - that all depends on how you like your beer. A lot of people on HB forums espouse drinking their creations a little warmer than what you'd find in a pub - give's you a better idea of what the different hops & so on bring to a beer, saying that drinking it too cold blankets a lot of the flavours. But then, others (like me) enjoy their beer icy cold. I think for a Pale Ale you'd be safe serving at a couple of degrees - but, again, it's really up to your own taste.

I usually have my kegerator set to 2-4*c (going into frozen glasses)
Keep in mind that the colder the beer the less pressure it needs from your regulator/gas to carb up

Last edited:
I usually have my kegerator set to -1, because by the time the beer is in the glass (I don't pre-chill my glasses) it's sitting around 2 degrees and only warms up more as I drink it, especially now coming into summer weather.

Thanks guys, have cold crashed for 5 days then forced carbonation for 2, and this is my first pour ever! I think I may have nailed it. I didn't tell my son what style of beer it was and he said " tastes like a pale ale Mum". Woo Hoo ( I don't feel so bad about my $2000 investment now). Today is brew day and am doing a Weizen Beer this time. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
That's the easiest part (at least for me). I hook up a tube to my fermenter spigot and the other end to me liquid out post on my keg. Then I vent the keg and make sure it is empty of pressure, open up the spigot and keep the keg vented (to allow the liquid going in the push the air out). Gravity then takes care of the rest :)

My fermenter (cold crash) and keg are both kept chilled so that the beer can carbonate faster.

When I clean and then sanitise the keg, I push everything through the kegerator lines, and that way the keg is sanitised and full of CO2 (and not O2) when it comes time to transfer.

@Thomas Wood what size tubing do you use to run from the fermenter tap to the liquid disconnect? I haven't been able to find one that is a small enough ID to fit on the disconnect barb, but also big enough OD to sit snugly in the fermenter tap

@Thomas Wood what size tubing do you use to run from the fermenter tap to the liquid disconnect? I haven't been able to find one that is a small enough ID to fit on the disconnect barb, but also big enough OD to sit snugly in the fermenter tap
Kegging tonight so will let you know when I get home

Looks to be 11mm OD/8mm ID according to my ruler. Fits snugly into the spigot and is double clamped to a liquid out barb. Roughly 70cm long so it can form a straight enough line from my fermentation fridge which is on a shelf. Bought it from Bunnings

Looks to be 11mm OD/8mm ID according to my ruler. Fits snugly into the spigot and is double clamped to a liquid out barb. Roughly 70cm long so it can form a straight enough line from my fermentation fridge which is on a shelf. Bought it from Bunnings

Cheers

Back