Using flip-top glass bottles- fill level and carbo drops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJbrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just finished a cider and now need to bottle it.
Usually, I use the plastic bottles but have decided to try the flip-top glass bottles.

With plastic bottles and cider: i use 2 x carbonation drops and fill to about 80% to 90% of the bottle

With the flip-top glass bottles:
- I have bought new bottles from the local homebrew shop
- i am concerned about exploding glass
- to what level would you recommend I fill the glass bottles with cider and how many carbo drops would you recommend I use?

thanks in advance for any comments.

Disclaimer - never used em myself...

Depends on what size. Either way fill them like any other bottle. Number of drops depends on bottle size and desired carbonation level. 1 drop for a 375 2 for a 750 is a good start.

Cheers
Dave

hey, thanks for the quick reply.

they are 500 mL amber bottles.

Fill them like you would for a beer. To within an inch of the top say.

Not sure how many drops to use in a 500ml bottle as I don't use them. The rule of thumb seems to be 1 for a 375 and 2 for a 750 so that would make it 1.5 which might be a pain. You should be Ok with 2 but you will end up with a very fizzy cider. If you con't want it too fizzy try 1.

Cheers
Dave

so, 1.5 drops :D

well, i will try some with 1 x drop and some with 2 x drops, and store in the garage. :)

thanks for the replies.

i was concerned if i filled too high I might have an explosion.

i guess they are pretty sturdy, though.

either bulk prime or use two drops. Cider is carbed quite high... I use one in pint sized bottles for english ales... two for high carbed wheats etc

Fill bottles to the top. The bottling tube, when withdrawn leaves enough headspace

I have 500ml swing tops and used to use 1.5, but switched to 1, and they carb up fine.

ok, sounds like I should not be worried about damage and either 1 or 2 x drops is the way to go. i will try both.
thanks for the tip on the bottling tube, too.

thanks for the replies, everyone. not going to be the best cider this time- made a mistake with ingredients (used some cloudy pear juice from a can), so seems a waste to use the glass bottles but should give it a go.

this is the quikest-responding forum I have ever been on. i can barely keep up to the replies!

Cloudy pear juice should be fine. I'm fermenting up 5l of it at the moment to blend with my 40l of cider to let me blend in a little sweetness.

Should come out fine (might be quite sweet though).

Cheers
Dave

yes, my brief taste from the fermenter suggests that it is a bit sweet. the ratio of apple to pear may be about the same as when i used apple + apple/pear juice combo, but the sweetness suggests not.r.
not keen on sweet cider but brewing for me is all an experiment at the end of the day.

I bought a brigalow sugar measure and a kilo of dextrose from big w for $5.

Won't be using carb drops ever again. Very easy, no mess, just as quick almost.

And you do a one and a half scoop for 500ml bottle.

Good solution for those who don't want to bulk prime like me.

well, i have a lot of dextrose at home so perhaps I will try all three: one drop, two drops and some dextrose.

1.5 scoops would be about 5 or 6 grams, i guess.

Bulk priming FTW!

Actually.. these days I keg everything. Much simpler.

But for bottling. Bulk priming is the best way to go.

Cheers
Dave

Edit - Oh yeah.. and measure that scoop. Don't guess a weight. You really don't want to get that wrong. 5-6g in a bottle sounds like a lot to me. Its been ages since I bottled but I'm remembering 3g or less.

ok- good advice on the weight of dextrose.
might just stick with the drops for now.

thanks, all.

Back