Using Excess Beer After Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edddy57

Reaction score
Is there something different you can do with the beer left over after transferring to the keg. Like most people I just put them in stubbies which is a pain when the point of kegging is to avoid all the hassle of cleaning and sanitising lots of bottles. Is there a way that you could put this beer into a couple of large PET bottles and naturally or force carbonate them... keep them in the dark and then transfer beer to the keg at a later date ie top up the keg. Assume you would have to release the pressure on the keg, quickly open the hatch and pour in (maintaining sanitary practices at all times ie lots of starsan in a spray bottle). Ive heard some people have also removed the gas inlet post to add stuff to the keg rather than over exposing beer to air.

What are peoples thoughts. Are there other more practical and easier ways to address the excess beer?

Eddy

I've used 3 really poor practices for getting rid of the excess. Drink several pints then top up the keg, pour another cube on the yeast cake with some beer still there or tip the beer on the lawn. I wouldn't recommend any of those options but have done all 3. I normally do 35L batches so just have 2 kegs that are about 3/4 full. I'd like to bottle some from each batch but I'm too lazy.

I've used 3 really poor practices for getting rid of the excess. Drink several pints then top up the keg, pour another cube on the yeast cake with some beer still there or tip the beer on the lawn. I wouldn't recommend any of those options but have done all 3. I normally do 35L batches so just have 2 kegs that are about 3/4 full. I'd like to bottle some from each batch but I'm too lazy.

Pouring a cube onto the yeast cake sounds interesting, have you had any problems with it. That would kill a couple of birds with one stone. :beerbang:

Pouring a cube onto the yeast cake sounds interesting, have you had any problems with it. That would kill a couple of birds with one stone. :beerbang:

It actually turned out pretty well. As I said before it's not a practice that I'd recommend but having said that I'll probably do it again today. I'm a very lazy brewer.

I bottle...but I only ever do about 2 stubbies. Why not just bottle the excess in to longnecks (thus halving the number you have to use), or use your PET idea but just carb them up in the PET and drink them?

I have no idea why people use stubbies so much. Especially when there are heaps of available pint or longneck options around. THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO (the mists clear)...I bottled my first brew into ALL stubbies, never again.

Anyway, just an alternative suggestion for you...

Cheers. :chug:

I have a party keg that all left overs go in, lagers, ales, porters, whatever. It's Batz mongrel beer and usually surprising drinkable. I just purge the keg with C02 but don't gas it up until it's full, you need to keep in in the fridge of course.
Before I did this I found I was tipping it as bottling was too much of a hassle for me.

Batz

I just pour meself a pint at the start of transfer and drink that. Then after all is done and dusted and keg in the fridge I'm ready for another pint. I must admit though, I have reduced my batch size cause i hate bottling. So now i just brew 20 L and by the time you have a couple of pints it works out perfect.

If I CBF bottling what doesn't fit in the keg (which isn't often because I brew to fill a keg) I pour it off into a pet of similar container, use it for the BBQ. Beer battered fish, onions, anything really. Beer potato's are awesome

Isn't it funny how bottling goes from being something that has to be done to being the worst chore ever. I actually really enjoyed bottling my swap beer but haven't even considered bottling as being a viable option since.

I have a party keg that all left overs go in, lagers, ales, porters, whatever. It's Batz mongrel beer and usually surprising drinkable. I just purge the keg with C02 but don't gas it up until it's full, you need to keep in in the fridge of course.
Before I did this I found I was tipping it as bottling was too much of a hassle for me.

Batz

Yep, go the mongrel keg. Its sometimes surprising how good they turn out.

I bottle my left overs.
It reminds me why I went to kegging in the first place.
These bottle stocks are building up, to I was wondering the same thing.
I brew 3 at a time.
Next time around I was considering putting the left overs from all 3 into a 4th keg.
I'm not sure how a Dark Ale/Pale Ale/Mexican mixture will go.

Best thing to do is change your batch size to either 20L or 40L, depending on the size of your equipment. This way you will have either 1 or 2 kegs with a bit of process waste, but no excess beer.
I find it amusing to see all grain recipes adjusted to 23L. If you are K+K or K+bits, just use 1 can and adjust the sugar or grains down.

Best thing to do is change your batch size to either 20L or 40L, depending on the size of your equipment. This way you will have either 1 or 2 kegs with a bit of process waste, but no excess beer.
I find it amusing to see all grain recipes adjusted to 23L. If you are K+K or K+bits, just use 1 can and adjust the sugar or grains down.

This is exactly what i do. the first thing i do when trying to find a new recipe, is look for the volume and scale it up or down if i have to. 20L for a single, 40L for a double batch. Basically just leaves the trub behind in either primary or secondary and fills a keg beautifully with no extra screwing around.

Usually have around 2L left. Transfer it to a 1.25L coke bottle. Attach my carbonator cap. Force carb and drink.

What are those carbonator caps like Under? Is that the same as craftbrewer sell? I have never thought of using them for the leftovers but now that you have said it, seems like a great idea. Does it carb up a 1 or 2l coke bottle easily? Could be a worthwhile purchase if so.

These - http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=870

I think they work up to a 2L bottle. I just filter the remainder of the beer into 1.25L coke bottles (my beer is cold already). Hook up to the gas @140kpa shake like shit until it dosent accept anymore gas (30 sec?). Drink.

I transf dregs into a 15ltr bunns cube[got 2] and freeze when I've got 20 ltrs of mixed 40 brews that you wont be able to repeat thaw-keg -drink :chug: you could use any size cubes that will fit in your freezer

What are those carbonator caps like Under? Is that the same as craftbrewer sell? I have never thought of using them for the leftovers but now that you have said it, seems like a great idea. Does it carb up a 1 or 2l coke bottle easily? Could be a worthwhile purchase if so.

My carb cap leaks when it's hooked up to the gas (only just, not like crazy shit or anything), and I've heard of a few others with the same issue. Doesn't bother me though because I haven't needed to use it to carb a bottle, just purge head space for travelers. I think I remember reading about just filing a bit of the seam down so it seals properly but honestly I haven't bothered because like I said, no real need to yet. I like the thing, it's handy

Edit: Yeah the force carb thing would pretty much negate the slight leak cause' it's hooked up for sweet FA anyway

Back