Using Chlorine To Sanitise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had an infection in over 2 years. It's something I don't even think about any more which could be dangerous thinking :rolleyes:

My brewing area (laundry/kitchen) is completely infected ... with brewer's yeast. Especially the laundry sink and the splash back.

:icon_offtopic: Now that I'm on septic system. All my litres of yeast trub and any yeast at all gets flushed down the toilet into the septic. Bacteria and yeasts are the ingredients in the organic, no-chemical septic treatments you can buy locally here. I figure one yeast cake has more yeast than 6 20 litre tubs of that stuff and it already has helped clear a slow block in the system :beerbang:

My problem with buying brewing supplies in is compounded by the local Australia POST that won't deliver parcels to the property, but will deliver slips of paper to the property to go pick up the actual parcels at a Post Office that is the furthest post office from me, a $8-10 fuel round trip drive when the next town and its PO is 5 minutes down the road from me :(. So I'm learning from the brewing locals how to be very self sufficient out here and push through all the perceived limits, I've fired up one of the locals' 3-year old Scottish Ale stored in a fridge inside a cleaned out tomato sauce jar and its humming along nicely! A vial of yeast + postage + then paying for fuel to pick up what Australia POST was paid to deliver in the first place can look like $25-30 for a single vial of yeast. The local LHBS is $8-10 round trip in fuel and does not stock any liquid yeasts and is closed by the time I get back on the train from work. So its the supermarket for me for now. Home Brand LME cans for my starter materials and home brand bleach and white vinegar for my santisation supplies. Starters are costing me about $1-2 range to make which is much cheaper.

Starsan might only be an option that rare event that I can be at a proper LHBS, I think once you switch full time to kegging you will consider that route, bottles you get by with no-rinse bleach.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

That's it for me. The "no rinse" bit.

+1 Give bleach a miss and use a no rinse sanitiser like Starsan. At a cost of approx 7c per litre why even bother messing around with bleach? :rolleyes:

I used bleach when I started out brewing but once I swapped to no rinse I have never looked back. No more hours of rinising the for fear of the chlorine taste. On your brewday you can just chuck your measuring jug, mixing spoon etc in it as you brew and be confident everything coming in contact with your brew is sanitised. Fill up a spray bottle and use it to santise your surfaces and other pieces of equipment you can't submerge in a bucket.

Don't forget bleach/vinegar is no rinse if you use 1.5ml to 1 litre of water.

Even the Starsan man swears by it in one of the brewing network podcasts

Wonder what Starsan is like for cleaning toilet bowls :lol:

Latest posts

Back