Used Way Too Much Star-san

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drufazz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bottled my first brew using star-san santiser and after doing some reading here earlier today I realise I mixed it at a strength around 7X what it should be. I think I used a dodgy ounce/gallon/mls/litres calculator.

Anyway the beer is in the bottles (coopers stout). Would it be ok given that the santiser was incorrectly mixed and used as no-rinse ?

Cheers,

It should not kill you.
As I understand Star San PBW is no more harmfull than washing soda, there's a lot more nasty stuff in your dishwasher detergent.
Try it on the loud mouthed neighbour...

K

If death occurs, see a doctor.

Cool ... thanks guys. I guess it's gotta be pretty harmless if it's no rinse. What gets me is the warnings ... "if swallowed", "if on skin" etc ... I mean it's going to be in something I drink, but be alarmed if it's gets on your skin !? :)

Cheers,

You'll be fine.

The sanitising capability of StarSan is neutralised at pH>3.5, so is neutralised by the beer in the bottle.

That's why it is an effective no-rinse that has no affect on the yeast.

The warnings are mainly for undiluted StarSan on the skin. It is an acidic ionic sanitiser, so is best to keep acid away from your skin.

Cheers,
mortz

It would be no worse than drinking a can of coke although at the concentrations you will have I suspect it will be a lot weaker.

Mick

Latest posts

Back