Used To Much Starsan Will It Be Ok ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys..

Made a simple cider with a few mates last night. and left the sanatiser mixing up to my mates who where sure they knew conversions ..

Long story short

they mixed 2L of water with 14ish mill of star san.. and we used this out a spray bottle to sanatise a fementer.. it was only in the fementer for around 30 seconds before the apple juice went in.

So might not of even dried fully.

I later looked at their calculations and notived we should of been using 2.8 mill of star san for 2L of water.

Do you guys think this will be ok ?? It had 40L of apple juice poored in pretty much straight after sanatising and then in went the yeast and nutrient.

Im sure my mates will drink it anyway but just checking they wont end up blind or something lol..

Cheers Vice

Edit: 400 Posts!!!

It should be ok, unless of course you and your friends are some kind of nasty bacterial/wild yeast???? :p

I would think 40l of juice would dilute down whatever is left to a very low concentration and so long as your yeast fires up, i reckon it will be fine.

Cheers SJ

* The above advise is given by someone with no medical training or expertese, follow it at your own risk!!!

Thanks man.. i thaught the same...

My mate was gonna poor it in his beer out the bottle to prove it was ok.. lol.

hes the kinda guy that drank beer that had been in a fermentor for 8 months on the yeast cake at room temps lol..

Cheers Vice..

Does it smell anything like the bottle of starsan when you sniff it?

Should be no problem Vicelore :)

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross.. just what i wanted to hear..

And Boagsy it smelt like apples lol.. lots of apples hehe.

Cheers Vice.

Should be no problem Vicelore :)

cheers Ross

For interests sake, would it have been more of an issue if he'd sanitised a keg this way? Does the fermentation process break down the extra starsan where as simply kegging it wouldn't?

When I did my first keg using starsan as a no rinse, I tried doing it by using co2 to pump the starsan out of the keg through a bronco tap, so that I had a layer of co2 in the keg when transferring from fermenter to keg.

It took ages to try and get all the foam out of the tap, and there was still heaps of foam left over. When I kegged the beer the foam floated on top of the beer and ended up coming out the top of the keg once the keg was full. Not a bad result really as it no doubt gave some extra sanitising to the rim where the lid goes etc. But I wondered is this what people normally do?

Iv asked about the foam before and got back responses along the lines of " dont fear the foam.."

hehe..

Cheers Vice

I am interested in your answer tho..

For interests sake, would it have been more of an issue if he'd sanitised a keg this way? Does the fermentation process break down the extra starsan where as simply kegging it wouldn't?

When I did my first keg using starsan as a no rinse, I tried doing it by using co2 to pump the starsan out of the keg through a bronco tap, so that I had a layer of co2 in the keg when transferring from fermenter to keg.

It took ages to try and get all the foam out of the tap, and there was still heaps of foam left over. When I kegged the beer the foam floated on top of the beer and ended up coming out the top of the keg once the keg was full. Not a bad result really as it no doubt gave some extra sanitising to the rim where the lid goes etc. But I wondered is this what people normally do?

That what I do.. I usually have foam pushing out the top of the keg when filling it. My theory is that the foam on the top of the beer will help protect the beer while your filling the keg. I also usually leave my kegs at room temp for a few days for the yeast to take up any oxygen, clean up byproducts, fully attenuate etc. before I put it in the fridge to CC.
IIRC Charlie Tally, from 5 Star, claims that Star San breaks down & becomes nutrients for the yeast.. & I recall hearing stories of him actually drinking a pint of Star San in some sanitising demonstrations at More Beer. The BN podcast he did is probably worth listening to for Star San users - http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sun...-Charlie-Talley He has also appeared on Basic Brewing Radio if you're interested. Worth a listen IMO.

Back