Use Of Cocao Nibs In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledgenko

Reaction score
I am curious to know i anyone has tried using Cocao beans (nibs) milled in with their brews (AG) ?

I am also curious to know if anyone has tried the use of meixac chillies and Cacao nibs in the same brews ( Porters ??)

i have no personel experiance but the americans have been using them for a while. there was a sunday session that went right into it some time ago wich might be worth checking out. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/542

I did. Wayyy too expensive for the house brew. But made a beer with mostly Munich and Chocolate fermented with 1214, - really chocolatey!! Would have added a vanilla bean as well in hind sight, to bring out more choc! Mostly all gone now!!
I've used Poblano (Ancho) and Chipottle in a different beer (in the UK), fermented with corriander and cumin in for some reason...! I think that was mostly Maris Otter, but lots of cara stuff, really chewy, finished high - 1022ish, mainly Brambling Cross hop to probably 60IBU, even with all that the taste was crap - would consider different utilisation of chilli - it tasted a bit capsicummy with no real subtlety of chilli flavour after the yeast had bludgeoned its way through... But don't let me put you off...!

Ross has done nibs - very nice too...

--edit-- more typing...

I have used them in a porter, soaked them in rum over night and threw them in secondary for 2 week adds a good choc aroma next time i used them i will probably crush them and add at flame out

Back