Us56

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used this 3 times in ales (kit APAs) and found attentuation has been 80-85%. Brings out the hops nicely and has a dryish finish.

Would this strain be good for porters do u think? I'm thinking about a slightly hopped porter using the 56 rather than S-04.

Bazza

I've used this 3 times in ales (kit APAs) and found attentuation has been 80-85%. Brings out the hops nicely and has a dryish finish.

Would this strain be good for porters do u think? I'm thinking about a slightly hopped porter using the 56 rather than S-04.

Bazza

Bazza 56 trumps s04 anyday IMHO.
Cheers
Steve

Bazza

Bazza, I've got my Olde English Porter made with US56 on tap right now. The flavours are all still a little sharp (for want of a better word) at the moment, probably accentuated by the yeast. I'm hoping a little age will mellow this into a lovely drop.

cheers Ross

Have you other users of this yeast found that it attenuates so highly?

Brings my Ruination Ale down from 1080 to 1014 in 5 days at 17c. Mashed at 64c

However brought my 3% Amber down from 1036 to just 1012 Mashed at 70c. Just what I intended :)

I find this yeast a dream to use...

cheers Ross

Bazza

Bazza, I've got my Olde English Porter made with US56 on tap right now. The flavours are all still a little sharp (for want of a better word) at the moment, probably accentuated by the yeast. I'm hoping a little age will mellow this into a lovely drop.

cheers Ross

Cool thanks Ross, I'll give it a burl.

As a liquid yeast snob I have to concede that the US-56 is a damn good dry yeast. I did a side-by-side comparo with the Wyeast 1056 and they're very close. If anything the US-56 gives a drier, sharper finish which is consistent with the sharper flavours in Ross's porter and the hoppiness mentioned by Brauluver.
I haven't thoroughly checked attenuation but the dryness would also be consistent with higher attenuation than the 1056 which is a solid attenuator itself.
I'll still use liquids almost exclusively but the US-56 is now my choice as a standby dry.

Paleman said:
Having said this, i wouldnt put the Safale in front of Liquid Yeasts....ie Whyyeast's

[post="124609"][/post]​

I would(US56 at least) Its certainly not inferior

How can u judge or compare em if you havn't used em?(Asked in an enquiring tone,not a confrontational one)

Professional beer can be made with dry yeasts(believe it or not some micros here and in the US use em.)
That's right, Brauluver. And some the newer commercial breweries in Asia are using dried yeasts with success, because they don't have the capital to invest in laboratory standard yeast culturing equipment.
You'd really have to compare side by side fermented from the same wort with dried and liquid versions of the same strain to get a definitive comparison. For me personally it's a trade off -the cost and ease of dried yeast versus liquid (where I am, liquid is not readily available -special order by post $17.00 minimum!
(Sorry guys -a couple of dud messages may have come through from me :unsure: - finally got it! :D )

Tried all dry yeast available and this one is great.
It is by a long shot the best dry yeast on the market easy available.
Suit to ferment most pale ales and will improve any K+K or extract brew tenfold. Ideal when the temperature can't be controlled round spring and autumn. Very verstile strain indeed.
matti

Pitched 2 x US-56 sachets into 30 litres just over three weeks ago.
OG 1.078, and it is down to 1.020 which is about what I expected. It is a SUPER hoppy brew (the Hop Whompus). Just added another 54gr of hops to the fermenter :p
This yeast is fantastic for APA's.

Doc

As a liquid yeast snob I have to concede that the US-56 is a damn good dry yeast. I did a side-by-side comparo with the Wyeast 1056 and they're very close.
I'm no scientist or genetic expert, but doesnt it mean that if two yeast are of the same strain that they are in every respect genetically identical, not just similar? I have been brewing beers with dry yeast using this premise, and I have yet to detect a difference between saflager w34/70 and wyeast 2124. (same strain). I would also assume us-56 is no different to 1056.

vl.

As a liquid yeast snob I have to concede that the US-56 is a damn good dry yeast. I did a side-by-side comparo with the Wyeast 1056 and they're very close.
I'm no scientist or genetic expert, but doesnt it mean that if two yeast are of the same strain that they are in every respect genetically identical, not just similar? I have been brewing beers with dry yeast using this premise, and I have yet to detect a difference between saflager w34/70 and wyeast 2124. (same strain). I would also assume us-56 is no different to 1056.

vl.

I'm no expert either vl, but there appear to be minor differences between US-56 and Wyeast 1056 as far as I can detect. For one I think US-56 floccs better and from most of the impressions I get from the posts on this thread it appears to attenuate better as well. As these are fundamental yeast properties this would seem to indicate that the yeasts are different, albeit marginal.
I don't know too much about the technicalities of the drying process either but I would have thought that drying and rehydration would result in some mutation of the original strain. I presume the trick has been to minimise the differences from live to dry culture.
I'd love to hear comments from someone more authoritative on the subject.
Cheers.

Doesn't change the fact that it's the best damned (dried) yeast strain since sliced bread and makes a fine ale with a minimum of fuss!

have used US56 a fair bit recently and have produced gr8 beers with it. Very neutral, clean yeast, and from my experience if you keep it fermenting at around 17-18 you will get a great result.

Even anti dried yeast brewers have been known to move to the dark side and use it.

For those wanting to brew a dark lager but don't have the temperature control, US-56 at 15-17 degrees is excellent. The first AG I did was using Ross's Scwarzbier recipe but using US-56. It was every bit as good as that brewed with the lager yeast.

After tasting the above dark 'lager', I tried to use it as a substitute for pale 'lagers'. So far no success but this could be due to things too numerous to mention here - just one being a stuck ferment. The beer produced by the 56 however is certainly good enough to receive high praise from mates.

I do intend though to do a double batch in about a fortnight. One I will use 56 and the other Saflager so will post back to this thread as to how it compares.

Cheers
PP

I originally tried this strain about 15 months ago and the initial reports back then were that some thought that this dried yeast had more diacetyl than the liquid variety.
I must say that i did not notice diacetyl in the one brew that I did with the sample from that time.
I have just started to use US 56 and my initial observation is how quick it ferments out compared to 1056.
(assuming the same conditions).
I agree that it does seem to clear well and as Voosher and the others said it appears to finish a bit drier also.
Mark 63 is in a similar situation to me where my location makes it nearly cost prohibitive to use liquid yeasts economically in a one brewer situation and the more quality dried yeasts that become available the easier it will be for us "remote" brewers.
Cheers

I am going to use this yeast in an outmeal stout which I brewed a few days ago, I'm using this yeast as it's the only ale yeast I have, my question is how do you think it will go in a stout while being fermented at high-ish temperature? My fermenting fridge is full with german pilsners.

Might get upto 26-28C. Being a stout I wasn't sure if this would be ok seeing as there is so many other flavours already in the beer.

I reckon it'd be getting a bit hot for it, sluggerdog. If there are fusels there from the hot temperature they might not be as noticeable in the taste, but you'll still know all about it the next day. (You'll probably be able to taste it as well.)

You could go back to the old pre-ferment fridge tricks of standing the fermenter in a bucket of water and popping some ice blocks in there whenever you get the chance.

Alternatively, just chuck out all those lagers and get started on making lots of great ales. :lol:

I reckon it'd be getting a bit hot for it, sluggerdog. If there are fusels there from the hot temperature they might not be as noticeable in the taste, but you'll still know all about it the next day. (You'll probably be able to taste it as well.)

You could go back to the old pre-ferment fridge tricks of standing the fermenter in a bucket of water and popping some ice blocks in there whenever you get the chance.

Alternatively, just chuck out all those lagers and get started on making lots of great ales. :lol:

Not exactly what I wanted to hear but kinda expected it. It's in a cube from a no-chill session, I'll just leave it until the fridge frees up, could be a while though.

Cannot ditch the lagers, Got 80 litres ready to ferment at the moment, need to get it all fermented ASAP so I have lots of german pilsner to drink over xmas new years!

The stout can wait... I suppose. :beer:

Cheers!

Only joking about the lagers, sluggerdog. I'm just an ale man at heart.

I reckon you'll be happier doing it right. After all the work making it, it's worth getting the temp right.

Sounds like you'll be having a good Christmas. :super:

Latest posts

Back