Us-05 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, I've had a brew on for 14 days now, coopers canadian blonde with a bit of crystal, 1kg of wheat extract and 500g of ldme, start og was 1050, it's now down to 1014. Still seems to be going, is this the usual for this yeast, i havent used it before. Sitting at 20 degrees.
I've got clingwrap on top so I can see all, it's still frothy and there's still some condensation. Not too stressed yet but thought I'd ask.

Hazz

Hey all, I've had a brew on for 14 days now, coopers canadian blonde with a bit of crystal, 1kg of wheat extract and 500g of ldme, start og was 1050, it's now down to 1014. Still seems to be going, is this the usual for this yeast, i havent used it before. Sitting at 20 degrees.
I've got clingwrap on top so I can see all, it's still frothy and there's still some condensation. Not too stressed yet but thought I'd ask.

Hazz

Hazz, posted a similiar thread a week ago about the head on US 05. I stirred the bugger with a big spoon, it settled right down, bang fermented away again and finished normal as planned. It should be just about done, the added malts will account for a few extra degrees of gravity. So, unless anyone comes up with something different, rip the plastic off, give it a stir, put new plastic on, wait and see what happens. 20C is plenty warm enough for this sucker to work at. Bottle this weekend.

I've had US-05 finish in 2 weeks at 16 deg, you may have a slightly lazy bugger on yer hands, if there is still froth on top take an SG reading in a couple of days and if it's the same as the last, bottle the apple's & pairs

Hazz
I have had this yeast finish at 1.005 numerous times (from 1.050+)
Just take those S.G. readings until they stabilise.

I use this yeast all the time and doing extract brews with crystal grain they are finishing in the 1010-1014 range. Havent had any bottle bombs yet.

dependign on the non fermentatbles it could finish high.

im currently doing a cream ale, AG. After 3 days it looks like its alrady finished and below my expected gravity! i gave her a slight swirl to kick off any risidual (if any) tonight after taking a gravity reading and will wait it out till the weekend before kegging. Mines still got a solid inch of krausen If its still fermenting, let it do its thing. Once the krausen drops out and you're gravity readings are stable... bottle her!

Mines still got a solid inch of krausen If its still fermenting, let it do its thing. Once the krausen drops out and you're gravity readings are stable... bottle her!
+1 for thick krausen with US-05.
I think I posted a similar thread when I had just started here as well.
I was waiting and waiting for the krausen to go down and then at (round about, can't remember exact times) 14 days it was there and at 15 it wasn't!
Took two stable gravity readings and bottled it.
IMHO Give it time. I found that the krausen dissipated by itself and it dropped bright by itself quite well.

Cheers!
Jono.

I wouldn't risk taking the lid off and stirring it with a spoon as suggested, but you could give the fermenter a gentle rock around to resuspend yeast could help it drop a few points.

Latest posts

Back