US 05 yeast action / bubble rate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi There, I have had yeast in for 24 hours, 'bubble rate' is about 1 per minute maybe less, but put it this way much less than normal kit yeast I have used. Is the action / fermentation rate less in this yeast or do I have a problem. Set at 20 degrees in fermenting fridge.

Thanks

Have a quick peek. You'll know if it's happening or not. The smell, the krausen, and condensation on the lid are a dead give away it's rolling. The old maxim," a watched kettle boils the slowest." You'll be right. Plus fermenters can sometimes have a slight leak.

My brews haven't bubbled for about 9 years now. They turn out just fine.
I don't even own one of those bubbly thingos any longer.
2 layers of clingwrap held in place with the rubber seal from the lid, and I'm set.
Don't worry about bubble rate, it's meaningless. Measure fermentation with a hydrometer if you are really concerned, but I wouldn't bother myself. It seems it's underway, so let it do it's thing.

Yep thanks - think I am going to try bubble wrap, you can see what is happening, does the wrap rise up under pressure or just slowing escape. I have a stainless steel tank that has clips, I have have old plastic tank I could use if it has rubber seal in it? Yep is bubbling ok, so I will leave it,

Last edited:
You can use the rubber ring that's in the lid of the fermenter if it has one. I don't think the newer Coopers style fermenters do but all mine have a rubber seal.

Otherwise just a big rubber band or as Coalminer said, some elastic.

I found an old rubber seal, but it won’t fit around stainless steel tank...well it might but have really pull it.. dunno

My dad used a plastic rubbish bin with a towel draped over it. All cleaned and as sanitary as possible. I don't remember him ever tipping brew out or complaining of infected beer. Times was simpler back then.

I don't think the yeast is the problem. I just used this yeast for the first time recently and I went from OG to expected FG in 5 days without much action in the airlock.

It’s going well and steady, not like coopers yeast I have used before...a lot of action...

My dad used a plastic rubbish bin with a towel draped over it. All cleaned and as sanitary as possible. I don't remember him ever tipping brew out or complaining of infected beer. Times was simpler back then.
well 200 years ago they made great beer :)

Sealing or covering the fermenter is a relatively new idea. 20 years or so ago open fermenting (with no cover) was the norm. Air locks were only used by wine makers. Beer was mostly, fermented, racked, packaged and consumed before their wine was ready for bottling.

These days pressure fermenting beer in primary is all the rage whatever the hell that is all about??

So what happened when the bubbles finished and wort open to air, surely it got infection? Or had the chance to get one? I have been semi pressure fermenting for a while, couple of days before end I put in the keg and finish off .. then in the fridge to cold crash ... everything drops down , fine...

So what happened when the bubbles finished and wort open to air, surely it got infection? Or had the chance to get one? I have been semi pressure fermenting for a while, couple of days before end I put in the keg and finish off .. then in the fridge to cold crash ... everything drops down , fine...
A lot of basic brewing and cellaring skills have been lost or ignored by modern homebrewers these days. It’s easier to just ferment in primary and keg. You’re an IBU club member aren’t you? Have you attended a brew day or RAF? If not do so and all will become clear.

Sealing or covering the fermenter is a relatively new idea. 20 years or so ago open fermenting (with no cover) was the norm. Air locks were only used by wine makers. Beer was mostly, fermented, racked, packaged and consumed before their wine was ready for bottling.

These days pressure fermenting beer in primary is all the rage whatever the hell that is all about??

Sort of
The only vessels available until recently were open fermenters, go back much over a hundred years and wood was about the only option.
Open fermenting without a cover was pretty much limited to what were called "Fermentation Cellars" these rooms were kept scrupulously clean, a world away from a bathroom, laundry or garage.

Most (probably all) beers pre Pasteur were infected, its funny if you research the change in brewing that came with the introduction of pure yeast - there were complaints that all the flavour (mostly Lacto and Brett) was being taken out of the beer.
As for people trying to replicate old styles, that's largely a fantasy, we may look at old styles for ideas, but most of us wouldn't want to drink the beers of yore, we drink better beer (well we have that option) than at any time in history.
Its funny but breweries abandon open fermentation and wooden equipment as soon as they had any other option, a couple of small craft breweries are open fermenting but I suspect that's more of a "look at me - look at me" type of marketing spin than any serious attempt at replocating historic beers.
Mark

[/QUOTE]
Sort of
The only vessels available until recently were open fermenters, go back much over a hundred years and wood was about the only option.
Open fermenting without a cover was pretty much limited to what were called "Fermentation Cellars" these rooms were kept scrupulously clean, a world away from a bathroom, laundry or garage.

Most (probably all) beers pre Pasteur were infected, its funny if you research the change in brewing that came with the introduction of pure yeast - there were complaints that all the flavour (mostly Lacto and Brett) was being taken out of the beer.
As for people trying to replicate old styles, that's largely a fantasy, we may look at old styles for ideas, but most of us wouldn't want to drink the beers of yore, we drink better beer (well we have that option) than at any time in history.
Its funny but breweries abandon open fermentation and wooden equipment as soon as they had any other option, a couple of small craft breweries are open fermenting but I suspect that's more of a "look at me - look at me" type of marketing spin than any serious attempt at replocating historic beers.
Mark
Not sure what point your making on this one Mark?

As I said, a lot of basic brewing and cellarmen ship skills have been lost (especialy celermanship). No one is suggesting you should be anything but scrupulously clean in brewing. That was always a given.

If you are sugesting that fermenting beer under pressure in closed containers is the best or only way then you’re wrong. Sure it easier and often the modern way but have you ever tried older methods?

As for beer of yore, I remember beer in my youth being just as good as now but my Grandfather always said beer was better in his youth so who knows.

A lot of basic brewing and cellaring skills have been lost or ignored by modern homebrewers these days. It’s easier to just ferment in primary and keg. You’re an IBU club member aren’t you? Have you attended a brew day or RAF? If not do so and all will become clear.
Yes I am, I should do.. I’m an amateur compared to those guys :)

Not sure what point your making on this one Mark?

As I said, a lot of basic brewing and cellarmen ship skills have been lost (especialy celermanship). No one is suggesting you should be anything but scrupulously clean in brewing. That was always a given.

If you are sugesting that fermenting beer under pressure in closed containers is the best or only way then you’re wrong. Sure it easier and often the modern way but have you ever tried older methods?

As for beer of yore, I remember beer in my youth being just as good as now but my Grandfather always said beer was better in his youth so who knows.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I don't think Mark was advocating pressure fermenting at all

Hmm, I don't think Mark was advocating pressure fermenting at all
Perhaps not. I’m not sure what exactly he was suggesting. I was talking about home brew fermenters 20 years ago not commercial brewing. We did have covered fermenters with seals and airlocks back then but they were mostly used for wine making. They were sold side by side with beer fermenters basically a bucket that just had a tight fitting lid with a small hole in it.

Homebrew books I read at the time suggested removing the lid during fermentation and just using it near the end. Then either racking off the yeast to a closed container before bottling or to a pressure barrel keg.

Mark does have a point about beers of yore though. 200 years ago was a bit before good beer was brewed.

Latest posts

Back