Urn Lifespan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woostyle

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

In an effort to move to all grain I am tossing up between the old fashioned method vs BIAB. I am weighing up the costs and it seems a basic all grain set up and a Urn (birko or crown) seem to be comparable.

I was hoping people that have used urns might be able to shed some light on their longevity. Do they last a year, or years if maintained properly? I see myself brewing on one every few weeks and was hoping to get a few years out of an urn if possible.

Any info or help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

John

An urn will last years to decades if cleaned properly after every brew and looked after. The element may or my not blow after many years of service but they can be replaced easily and cheap enough.

I brought an old urn off someone on here that was so old it had bakelite switches and uninsulated solid copper wiring with an old mechanical style boil dry protection, and it still worked fine. (I brought it for the thermowell it had though)

You will certainly get your money's worth from an urn.

I used a cheap 30l Chinese urn (under $100 from ebay) for 4 years with no problem. Probably averaged a brew a month over that time. Worked perfectly as an introduction to all grain.

my urn i older than me

4years old. Over 40 brews. Still going strong.
Make sure you clean it we'll and it should last for ages.

Should of stated future purchase.. I.e. In the next few weeks..

From research open element seems to be the way to go for a better rolling boil.. hopefully

my crown concealed element gets a better rolling boil than my crown exposed element ever did (before I broke it), and it's 100 times easier to clean properly.

next time I brew (probably this weekend) I'll try to remember to take a video and post it.

My ye old Langco urn I scored off ebay is probably older than me.

Thanks guys.

Liam. If you could post a video I would definitely appreciate it.

Just based on general research It appeared the open element held a stronger boil, but if the concealed is doing this without issue it could tip me that way.

Woostyle said:
Thanks guys.

Liam. If you could post a video I would definitely appreciate it.

Just based on general research It appeared the open element held a stronger boil, but if the concealed is doing this without issue it could tip me that way.

Actually I just found one on my phone from when I first brewed with it in december. Took a vid because I was expecting the boil not to be as vigorous. This is a schwarzbier (not a giant mug of milo) just as it came to boil hence all the break.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fr99yx

Woostyle said:
I have an exposed element Birko and it has never missed a beat. Seems most guys on here have Crowns (maybe becuase the brew shops stock Crowns, whereas you have to get a Birko from a hospitality shop).

The exposed element is very easy to clean - soak in Napisan and wipe off with a cloth. Some of the concealed elements need to be cleaned/scraped everytime otherwise they have issues with maintaining boil.

There's quite a few threads on urns and cleaning.

Thanks Liam and tavas for the tips.. appreciate the help.. will scroll through the masses of threads and prob just buy one to end the debate.

I have an exposed element crown. Would have bought the concealed element urn but I got a pretty sweet deal. Cleaning is easy. Around 2 years old and have done well over 50 brews. Still comes up looking almost like new.

A mate and I went halves in a used crown 40L 2 years ago. Concealed element. It was new-ish when we brought it.

I've done 25 biab brews on it. My mate would have done the same.

Let's say that it's done 55 brews.

It still looks like new. It still heats like the day we brought it.

I definitely recommend the crown.

Back