Urgent Help Please!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razzmeister

Reaction score
Hey, Just need a quick pointer.

I have a cascade pale ale on the go, has been in primary for probably a little too long, about 9 or 10 days.

Really need to get it into a racking cube I just got, yet I do not have a siphon tube of any kind.

My question is: Is it OK for me to pour it carefully from one fermenter to the other?

I know you're not really meant to let it become aerated, therefore the siphon is used.

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am hoping to get it out of primary ASAP. ie tonight.

Cheers, Ryan

10 days isnt too long at all in primary unless you happen to have it sitting at 28 degrees.

Splashing really is bad for the beer.

Leave it where it is until you get some tube in the next few days.

No, leave it until you have secured a racking tube. They will cost less than $5 at Bunnings or similar harware store.
9-10 days in primary should be fine.
Jim

Razz, I wouldn't pour from the fermenter into the cube.

By the sound of your question, (though I'm guessing here,) is you want to free up your fermenter to do another brew tomorrow? If not, then there is no urgency to transfer your beer tonight from primary to secondary. Doing so by pouring, will minimise/nullify all the advantages of racking and expose you to far too many risks such as infection and oxidisation.

It won't hurt your beer leaving it in your fermenter for a few more days. Plenty of people leave it in the fermenter for a lot longer. While there are other advantages to racking, the main ones are clarifying your beer and freeing up some space. Best leave it in the fermenter until you get some tubing.

Cheers
PP

I think its the 12 mm tube that fits over the outside of the tap outlet perfectly.

defimately wait till you get the tube.

take a tap with you to the hardware store to get something that fits perfectly.

cheers

I am also just about to rack my beer to a secondary for the first time and am curious what is a racking tube i have some clear tube that fits perfectly on my fermenter tap just need to clean it with idophur before i use it and should i wait until the full 7 days in the primary or ait until fermentation has slowed somewhat just not real sure when to do it Sunday will be the 7 days.

Thanks guys.

PP- The main reason I wanted it out of the fermenter is that I was thinking it might go a bit bad if left in the fermenter much longer. Its on a heat pad (an adjustable one) at around 20 degrees so its not cooking, but I was thinking I didnt want to leave it much longer in there.

Would it be at all advisable to do anything with the temp of the brew, or just leave it til I can get some tube?

Cheers

not wishing to confuse ya ,but its prolly finished fermenting anyway and the yeast will be floccing(going to sleep and dropping to the bottom).
Turn off the heat pad and let it drop to ambient temps(this will encourage more yeast to drop out)leave it until day 14 and skip the rack and go straight to bottle.

As a rule of thumb I primary for 7 days and then rack for 5/7 days and bottle.the racking is purely for clarity,but prior to this I would primary for 14 day and then bottle(7 at ferm temp,and 7 @ ambient or cooler),and still do if I'm feeling lazy.

dave

Archie said:
I am also just about to rack my beer to a secondary for the first time and am curious what is a racking tube i have some clear tube that fits perfectly on my fermenter tap just need to clean it with idophur before i use it and should i wait until the full 7 days in the primary or ait until fermentation has slowed somewhat just not real sure when to do it Sunday will be the 7 days.
[post="124616"][/post]​
Archie, just make sure you are getting a steady reading with your hydrometer. Then it's okay to rack or bottle. :D

Thanks Brauluver.
I thought it would be finished, just havent had time during the last few days to acquire a tube so now i'm left kinda halfway.
Might just go with your suggestion and turn the temp down, then just bottle in say 4 or 5 days time.
Cheers

Thanks Partial Man, will keep an eye on the Hdryometer then go to my secondary for another 7 days.
I think this Brew will be my best yet

Arch

Brauluver's advice is great. Certainly don't be worried at all about leaving your beer in the fermenter. I accidentally on purpose left a beer on the fermenter for 3 weeks, (possibly 4 - too scared to look up my notes,) with no real worries.

My aim is to make brewing work for me and luckily a 7 day cycle works well with yeast. Primary 7 days and then rack. I haven't done lagers yet but I imagine 14 days then rack would work well. A few days either side of these rules will still work very well. It's not critical.

[I leave my beer in the cube for 5-6 weeks. 1 week at room temp and 4-5 in the fridge. Maybe to save you a heap of bottles, you can do the same i.e. just bottle later?]

I have heard alot of talk about this cube could someone please explain what exactly is the cube and what do you use for one where do you get it

Thanks in advance

To my limited knowledge it is basically a container to hold fermented liquid to allow for extra clearing. Basically you rack of the lees/(sorry, mead brewing terms coming in here)yeast/gunk at the bottom of the primary fermenter and put it into another container. This allows for extra clearing and lessens the possibility of 'off' flavours being introduced from the stuff at the bottom of the primary fermenter.

It doesn't need to be cube shaped either. I understand (read it here ??) that some people use food grade plastic jerry cans (or another fermenter).

Where to get them. LHBS, bunnings, Woolworths (I think I saw 25 litre water barrels with tap there recently).

Tyred said:
To my limited knowledge it is basically a container to hold fermented liquid to allow for extra clearing. Basically you rack of the lees/(sorry, mead brewing terms coming in here)yeast/gunk at the bottom of the primary fermenter and put it into another container. This allows for extra clearing and lessens the possibility of 'off' flavours being introduced from the stuff at the bottom of the primary fermenter.

It doesn't need to be cube shaped either. I understand (read it here ??) that some people use food grade plastic jerry cans (or another fermenter).

Where to get them. LHBS, bunnings, Woolworths (I think I saw 25 litre water barrels with tap there recently).
[post="124640"][/post]​

Which Bunnings ? Did they come with a lid ?

The bunnings at stafford has/had 25/30 litre food quality jerry cans. They may have had some of the water barrels but I'm not sure. It's been awhile since I've managed to get to bunnings.

Big w at stafford definately had the water barrels. At least there were 2 there on Sat 6/5/6.

This stuff is normally found in the camping section, along with all the eskies.

Brewcarft (Chermside) has blue clearing cubes for $15.95. That's the price on their homepage.

I haven't managed to get one yet as bills keep interfering with my purchases.

Latest posts

Back