Upside-down Cooper's Stubbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dachs

Reaction score
I was in a bar in NSW the other day and ordered a Copper's Pale Ale (stubbie). The bartender asked me a question, I said yea not knowing what had been asked. He then took the stubbie and turned it upside-down and stood it on the cap. After a few seconds he then took the cap off and poured the beet into a glass. This of course mixed the yeast into the beer. Is this a normal thing to do with Cooper'? First time I have ever seen it done

Tipped the traditional way of drinking coopers. Have done it as long as i can remember but generally have to inform bar staff outside of SA to do this for me. Some bar staff roll it along the bar a few times.. same deal.

Did it in a Aussie bar in Paris - the sparkling ale and then spent 5 mins explaining to a bunch of yanks what and why was i doing that....

dachs, unfortunatly all bar staff at trendy (and not so trendy) places, either tip up or roll the bottle, it makes me angry when they don't ask and has nearly gotten me kicked out of a few places for refusing to drink the beer and asking for another not mixed... oh and hey how about a friggen glass too!

-Phill

Easy - "Cooper's Sparkling mate, with a schooner glass, don't tip it please"

MUCH better without the dusty Cooper's yeast in it

Blasphemers! :D

Not sure why you shouldnt be able to ask for another beer DFT it they dont ask you first - some people dont like waking up belching vegemite. I do but i have often being accused of being a little left of centre.... :chug:

here in Adelaide it is a common thing to do to tip the bottle on the coopers pale to mix the yeast.

even been known to stick my thumb in the top and tip the bottle if bar staff don't have enough sense to do it for me first.

just be careful you don't spray it everywhere! :p

I agree, except in the case of wheat beers, who decided that drinking dead yeast improves the beer!. As homebrewers we try to leave that crap behind in our own bottles!

Whats even worse is when they stick a F%#@ slice of lemon in a wheat beer :angry: :angry: :angry:

Coopers Sparkling - don;t tip it
Coopers Pale Ale - tip it.....

I agree, except in the case of wheat beers, who decided that drinking dead yeast improves the beer!

Who says it's not a wheat beer yeast? ;) It's pretty dusty like a wheat yeast.

ive always rolled or tipped my coopers and have asked bar staff to the the same when ordering,
i drank free one night at the local as they were at the bottom of the coopers keg and the tap was pooring cloudy brown beers, the bar girl said she could charge me for a sub standard beer and i could drink it till they changed the keg :D

when i finish work i call into the bowlo and he always rolls my coopers pale for me and only $3.10

then if i get thirstier and cant wait an extra 10 mins to get home the next stop is one of the locals and he charges $5.30 for the same stuff and i have to ask him to roll it.

hence i usually dont call into this local pub often due to this price.(only advantage is the rear parking and close to home) actually aint been there this year. bcoz my own stocks have been up fairly high :beerbang:

Had a unhefed Sparkling Ale which was 12 months past it's best after date at the Monkey Nut a couple of weeks ago. First pour was was clear second pour was like the Torrens on a bad but wasn't too bad as long as you drank through you teeth. Much like a whale filtering krill.

Had a Palely straight from a freshly tapped keg at the Snake Pit at lunch today it had the consistancy Murray river water chockers full of yeast but did it go down a treat.

Never judge a Coopers by its colour.

Tipped the traditional way of drinking coopers. Have done it as long as i can remember but generally have to inform bar staff outside of SA to do this for me. Some bar staff roll it along the bar a few times.. same deal.

Did it in a Aussie bar in Paris - the sparkling ale and then spent 5 mins explaining to a bunch of yanks what and why was i doing that....

BS
Coopers when it was just Real Ale and Extra Stout was never tipped.
A barman would have got an ear full.

It's a yuppie thing

Batz

I remember watching postcards or some travel show doing a thing at Coopers brewery. Dr Tim Cooper showed the "proper way of rolling a CPA", indicating to me that they advocate the whole rolling ideal.

When my mates and I started homebrewing a couple of years ago, we made sure we rolled all our bottles of homebrew and dissolved every little last bit of yeast. Of course we've since realised that yeast is not that tasty, especially in ciders :eek:.

I think theres a few reasons why people started "rolling" CPA/CSA:

-It's unique to Australian beer, it starts conversation, attracts attention to Coopers, etc.

-I think it makes the beer taste more attractive to swill drinkers. I find with the yeast mixed in, it seems to give a bit of that tart yeasty tang you find in many mega-swill Aussie lagers.

-It stops people from feeling they are ripped off when they have to leave 2cm of beer at the bottom of the bottle.

I don't roll any Coopers anymore (when serving myself), however when serving customers I ask. If they have no idea what I'm talking about and I don't have time to explain, I make an appearance-based judgement call whether to roll it or not; bogans get the yeast, more refined or interstate/international visitors get it decanted into a glass.

I spend too much effort reducing the sediment in my HB's to a bare minimum for me to then mix the yeast in a Coopers. I have always left the tail end of a Coopers Sparkling or PA and cant stand it when the barmen roll it. Last fathers day I went to lunch at a nice Restaurant and was wrapped that they had coopers. I poured for myself leaving the last CM behind. I had about a third of a glass left and had just taken a mouthful of food when the waiter (Young American guy I think) came up and up-ended the dregs into my glass and walked off with the empty. VERY disappointing!!

Having said that........

i drank free one night at the local as they were at the bottom of the coopers keg and the tap was pooring cloudy brown beers, the bar girl said she could charge me for a sub standard beer and i could drink it till they changed the keg :D

Im sure I could manage if it was for free... :D

Personally I think it is a clever marketing ploy to attract attention to the live brewing of the beer and to try to "standardise" Coopers.

I notice that Melbourne has only recently been rolling Coopers and then only in the trendy bars and restaurants where Coopers has become "trendy".

Put simply....Mix the crap into the beer? Why do it???? :ph34r:

:D
ATOMT

Back