Update On My "brewery"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
I have now overcome the heat!!! Here are som pics with all 8 of my fermenters in the same room.

100_7878.jpg

Yep withdouble vision from being pissed I make eight too :icon_cheers:

Last pic. See how I have numbered all fermenters. I have a book with all ingredients, sg reading, dates and etc.

100_7880.jpg

So I take it the window mounted AC unit is your temp solution. Did you pick up an ebay bargain? I imagine turning a regular room in your house into a cold room is going to see that thing cranking 24/7...could turn out to be quite expensive in the end. What temp are you keeping your brewing room at?

I need to put a temp controller on it but my aim is 18 degrees. Until I get the temp controller, I will put it on a timer, say about 30 minutes every 2 hours during the day and 30 minutes every 4 hours of a night. I will just have to experiment at this stage.

Yr a machine fasty. Joined AHB 28/8, have a cool room 4/10. I thought I was bad.

Thanks Hatchy. My theory is "go big or go home"!!!!
By the way, any input is appreciated!!!

Wow 8 fermenters all full, what is in them all? and how long have they been in there? do you brew twice a week or something fasty?

I see you live up the gold coast eh? I hope you sticking to ales or even Belgians as the temps warm up in order to keep you Electrcity bill low ;)

My guess is unless you have a serious grog habit (most of us do), or you have heaps of thirsty mates, or you are trying to sell the stuff, you wont be having 8 full fermenters on the go all the time. For the cost of that AC unit running as much as it will need to to keep a room on the Gold Coast @ 18 Deg C, you could buy a reasonaly large second hand fridge that you fit one 60L or two 30 L fermenters in it, and also a temp controller. Then you could also brew lagers as well.

Just something to think about

Cheers

I have 8 different brews in all. Some are Tooheys Lager with BE1 or BE2, some have coopers mexican, Brigalow new with BE1 or BE2. None have the same brew in them. The AC is only half a HP, so it's cheap to run. I don't have any mates :( I just like a few drinks after work (about 12 stubbies). I just want a good stock so I can leave them to age well before drinking them. I have some work mates that I like to shout a few tallies to, so they can sample my home brew. I fix taxi's for a living and some of the drivers tip me well even though they don't own the taxi, so I like to give them a few beers after they finish the 12 hour shift that they do.

Good on ya Fasty, you have a massive passion & I love the enthusiasm.

Will have to hook up soon mate & have a couple...Not that I have 8 on the go here..

Awesome work mate.

Any other Gold Coasters too.... :ph34r:

Goldy

Realistically the cheap way to keep the temps down would have been to buy some fridges. However, you already have the air con now so you may as well utilise it. I reckon you should buy at least another 8 fermenters :beerbang: . The beer will age for longer or altenatively you could take up drinking more. To maximise the cooling efficiency you could purchase some coolroom panels that have a current bid of $5.50!
Also, i reckon you should give ag a crack, i think you'll find you really like it.

So do you put down a brew everyday? Or are you putting down 8 bad boys at once? I admire your dedication.

12 stubbies after work!!?? Well i better do some catch up drinking! Think i need to down another 5 or 6 a Tonight! ;)

Realistically the cheap way to keep the temps down would have been to buy some fridges. However, you already have the air con now so you may as well utilise it. I reckon you should buy at least another 8 fermenters :beerbang: . The beer will age for longer or altenatively you could take up drinking more. To maximise the cooling efficiency you could purchase some coolroom panels that have a current bid of $5.50!
Also, i reckon you should give ag a crack, i think you'll find you really like it.

So do you put down a brew everyday? Or are you putting down 8 bad boys at once? I admire your dedication.
I have worked it now that I put a brew down every 2nd or 3rd day. Problem is that I have 2 brews ready for bottling but no bottles. Come on over goldy!!!! I need some mates to sink some beers with!!!! Bathurst this weekend!!!!!! I will sink plenty for this race. Come over for a few anyone on the Gold Coast!!!! Lets make a day of it!!! I am more than happy doing cans of goo now. With this many fermenters, it would REALLY suck doing it from scratch!!!!!

It's absolutely superb doing it from scratch. I have 4 fermenters, 2 cubes and 3 demijohns and most are on the go one way or the other most of the time. Brewing from scratch is relaxing and fun and always involves a few brews. Don't knock it till you try it.

Not suggesting you shouldn't keep doing what you're doing the way you're doing it if that's what you enjoy but don't put the blinkers on.

Even at 12 stubbies a night it's "only" 3.5 cartons a week (assuming consumption doesn't accelerate on weekends). Once you have a solid supply of beer I'd suggest that a 60L or 2 30L fermenters won't leave you too far short depending on what yr turnaround time is like. I'd suggest that a ferment fridge will be more cost effective in the long run than a cool room. I'm with ekul, find a local AG brewer & get round to his place for a brewday. You'll be hooked.

Yeah fasty, AG isn't that hard and it can be fun. I'll get you round one brew day and show you the ropes

Thanks guys. Would love to come around one day cannibal smurf. I am now sleeping in the brewery. The missus and I are pretty much finished anyways (no, not because of my drinking habits, she just like to abuse me when things don't go her way, I am sick of it really!!!), I am like an eskimo, I LOVE the cool!!! Problem is I love the Gold Coast too much to leave it!!!!

The missus and I are pretty much finished anyways (no, not because of my drinking habits, she just like to abuse me when things don't go her way, I am sick of it really!!!), I am like an eskimo, I LOVE the cool!!! Problem is I love the Gold Coast too much to leave it!!!!

sorry to hear that mate, hopefully you can sit down together (sober/straight) and have good chat b4 u give up,

Latest posts

Back