Unusual Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neill

Reaction score
Put this down this morning:

3kg Coopers LME (Light)
1.5kg Coopers Wheat Liquid Extract
10g POR @ 45min
10g Nelson Sauvin @45 min
20g Nelson Sauvin @15 min
Pitched the whole trub from a previous batch of Nottingham to get it off to a flyer - OG is 1062 so she's gunna need it i reckon!

Thoughts on this one?

I wasn't quite sure what the OG would be (23L batch BTW) with so much extract, so i think it might need some heavier bittering to support the big malt body it will have. I can always boil up another 2L of wort with extra bittering hops and add it tomorrow when it's cooled i guess. Also considering adding some more Nelson at dry hop, but have heard it's quite a powerful hop and is easy to go overboard.

I don't know what tha AAU% of the hops you have used is, but for that amount of extract (4.5kg) and assuming an % rate 0f 10% POR and 11.9% NS you may have "aprox" 35 IBU according to my Promash figures.

Cheers,
BB

Sounds tasty. You're right about the Nelson Sauvin - dry hop with caution, it's very peachy/nectarine - but I think that compliments the malty sweetness. Can be mistaken for esters though.

wow, am i glad i didn't dry hop this one with more nelson!

just pulled an SG sample, it's at 1020 still with a solid inch of krausen and heavy airlock activity - the notto is chewing it up very quickly. the sample actually tasted a lot like white wine - very fruity indeed, this would come close to being overhopped (for my taste anyway) if it had any more nelson in it. what a cracker of a hop! can't wait to taste it once it's conditioned in a month's time.

Keep us posted on how this turns out Neill. SHMBO and I don't mind the NS in Knappstein Reserve Lager and I am tempted to do something along these lines in the near future. If your recipe turns out OK I'll have a crack at an AG recipe along these lines.

Cheers, GG

Back