Unscented Sodium Percarbonate Brands - Definitive Answer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much are people paying for napi san stuff?
I`m getting sod. percarb from a cleaning supplier for $4.82 per kg, they say it`s over 90%.
How does that price compare with the napi san products?

stagga.

I`m getting sod. percarb from a cleaning supplier for $4.82 per kg, they say it`s over 90%.

stagga.

Well coles online, where I got the picture from, has it for around the same price IIRC. But that is around 35%. You should be able to get away with around half the amount I use. (Which isn't much anyway.)

I get a very strong lemon from any Woolies and Franklins napisan stuff, even where fragrance is not listed as an ingredient.

I will have a sniff of the Coles and Aldi brand ones to see if I get the same. Though I don't have any Coles too close by.

Where do you get yours Stagga?

And APD, I am only using it for a cleaner - I apply with a sponge in a pretty strong solution with hot water and it seems to strip everything off, then rinse with boilling water, then rinse with cold water, then rinse with no rinse (iodophor at the moment).

Agreed, Woolies' is definitely scented, although I'm not sure this is so significant as no brand is likely to be suitable for a no-rinse approach. The surfactants will affect head retention, and the carbonate will alkalise the brew slightly. OTOH, doesn't Iodophor contain surfactants? and I have even heard of folks no-rinsing low conc bleach which presumably leaves a caustic residue at least. The only sanitiser that seems to be theoretically OK is metabisulphite, as it only leaves a bit of sulphate salt behind. Maybe add phosphoric acid to that list, provided you regard it as a sanitiser. And then there is peroxide, provided you can get it without any other gunk in there.

I am more worried that the scent will leach into my plastic fermenter (as hop scent does) and may release itself into my beer. I find the artificial lemon smell pretty foul. And I am the kind of person that would be paranoid and 'look for it' in the beer, until I found something that tasted like artificial lemon, then toss the beer.

[quote name='Bizier' date='Dec 12 2008, 10:04 AM' post='38810

Where do you get yours Stagga?
[/quote]

Sampson Chemical Products 0732834511

stagga.

edit-2 minute drive for me, bit far for you tho :)

Aldi have 2 different nappi-sans, one scented, the other is not.The blue label is scented, the white label is not.

This one?

disan.jpg

Intense lemon scent, makes me sneeze. I'll have a sniff of the blue one next time I'm in Aldi.

I use an unscented nappisan, but was wondering, since you rinse the crap out of anything you clean with napisan, why does it matter if its scented or not?? Does the smell ingrain itself into the plastic?

Yes. The scent will ingrain into the plastic. It may rinse or fade over time though. Bitter experience here - I had a wonderful robust porter which had just the slightest hint of napisan scent in it. Completely ruined.

I used to pay about $5-6 per kilo for the napisan babycare. I suspect it was about 20% by weight sodium percarbonate. I went halves in a bag of pure percarbonate with a local brewer which cost about $3 per kilo, but that was a while back. $4.82 is good value, seeing it's 3-4 times the strength of the supermarket products. You just have to be disciplined enough to use less. I'm guilty of using a tablespoon when a teaspoon is enough.

After reading this thread yesterday I went to Aldi-Coles & Safeway sniffed about a dozen different brands[think some people thought I was a druggy looking for a cheap fix]after all that reasearch? the only one that I could not pick up a hint of lemon smell was "VANISH NAPPYSAN BABY CARE"" enzyme & fragrance free"but its only 25.7*/*,put 1/2 tspn in a plastic milk bottle shook the crap out of it took a sg 005, rinsed well,refilled with water stuck it in fridge over night sg 1.00 and had a taste this morn,no apparent taste or smell
Russ

Good stuff Russ,

I am actually tripping, I went shopping in Aldi last weekend with the GF and had a sniff of the nappy soak stuff, and I came home without it - can't remember the details, but there must be a reason I didn't buy it.

I'll have a look for that one Russ

After reading this thread yesterday I went to Aldi-Coles & Safeway sniffed about a dozen different brands[think some people thought I was a druggy looking for a cheap fix]after all that reasearch? the only one that I could not pick up a hint of lemon smell was "VANISH NAPPYSAN BABY CARE"" enzyme & fragrance free"but its only 25.7*/*,put 1/2 tspn in a plastic milk bottle shook the crap out of it took a sg 005, rinsed well,refilled with water stuck it in fridge over night sg 1.00 and had a taste this morn,no apparent taste or smell
Russ

My experience is identical to Russ',
I did the sniff test on a bunch of different containers with disappointing odors coming from all of them except for the Vanish. In the past the no name brand stuff was fine but I think we get whatever odorant ingredients the manufacturer decides to use from batch to batch.
Cheers
Doug

I am currently using PSR (Chlorinated Trisodium Phosphate). I dont know why is is called PSR?
Anyway, I use 1 teaspoon per litre of hot water as per directions on pack (from HBS).
After reading some of this topic I had a search in the laundry and foun some Sodium Percarbonate in the form of Aldi Di-San plus. The label says it has 27.5 soduim percarbonate.
What sort of concerntration should I use?

How many teaspoons per 1 litre of water.

Dan,

Is this for use as a cleaner or sanitiser?

My wife runs a coffee business. This involves cleaning the coffee machine with bleach and I realised the other day that the bleach she uses is sodium percarbonate. It's food grade and therefore fragrance free (and in the process of being certified for use in 'organic' food processing, just for good measure).

The mixture is 25% sodium percarbonate. Not sure what other mixtures normally are.

Will get the name of it when I get home.

Andrew

Andrew , can you tell what 's brand of that sodium percarbonate you bought ? and where ? what 's the seller's name ?

I use the SB Coles brand napisan, works fine for me

+1 for this product

Coles
$mart buy
1kg
napicare plus
active ingredient: contains Sodium percarbonate 346g/kg equivalent to 4% w/w available oxygen.

cheap, does a great job, and no perceivable taste or smell.

Our local catering wholesalers at Morayfield can do 25k sacks for around the $90 mark which is good for a bulk buy. I missed out on the last bulk buy which Sully (on leave from brewing while he builds his grand designs thingo) used to organise.

Our local catering wholesalers at Morayfield can do 25k sacks for around the $90 mark which is good for a bulk buy. I missed out on the last bulk buy which Sully (on leave from brewing while he builds his grand designs thingo) used to organise.

This stuff is 100% Sod Perc & is great value. Find 4 other brewers to share the 25 KG sack, get 5 el cheapo 5 litre plastic drums for the split & you'll probably get change out of $20 per 5 Kg's. One level tsp is enough to clean a 30 litre fermenter.
Well worth the effort.

TP

118565_woolworths_select_soaker__stain_remover.jpg

I use this stuff. If people reckon there's lemon in it they're more sensitive than me. Just smells caustic like any detergent powder. Just took a whiff now.

Just go with the Coles stuff if you live near a Coles or this stuff if you're near a Woolies, but reckon they all do the same thing and will both be similar in price - whichever you use just check how much sodium percarb you're getting - 35%/346g is good enough for me for the Woolies one.

Hopper.

Back