Unscented Sodium Percarbonate Brands - Definitive Answer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,

I have used this one over and over and over again with NO problems. Definitely no scent. SOMETIMES it goes on half price special and u get the 2kg tub for $5-$6, usually 2kg is $11. So wait for it to go on special, get a 2kg tub or two and its enough to last you (& more) until it goes on special again. I even let the wife use it :) :) (if only she would brew the beer for me too and bottle it, and pour it into a glass for me...then again I enjoy brewing too much, maybe she could just wash the bottles)

I have sniffed em all, at all the major retailers, several times over. Sometimes getting a little to over zealous with my sniffing and I could feel the caustic action going on in my sinuses...

Anyway...this stuff is GREAT and quite strong at ~35%!! The other ones mentioned earlier, the coles sensitive is also fantastic, a bit dearer, rarely on special, only about 25%, but its still good.

Rendo the napisan sniffer

118565_woolworths_select_soaker__stain_remover.jpg

I use this stuff. If people reckon there's lemon in it they're more sensitive than me. Just smells caustic like any detergent powder. Just took a whiff now.

Just go with the Coles stuff if you live near a Coles or this stuff if you're near a Woolies, but reckon they all do the same thing and will both be similar in price - whichever you use just check how much sodium percarb you're getting - 35%/346g is good enough for me for the Woolies one.

Hopper.

As far as I'm aware it's pure sod perc at a pretty reasonable price. I've certainly never worried about whether or not it's scented.

I have sniffed em all, at all the major retailers, several times over. Sometimes getting a little to over zealous with my sniffing and I could feel the caustic action going on in my sinuses...
<snip>
Rendo the napisan sniffer

This explains a lot from when I use to work with you !!

Still have to cross paths to share a few belgians .... :)

yes...belgians minus the napisan.

That would be grand.

(didnt u often wonder why I was ducking down to the supermarket and coming back with white powder on my shirt & tie....until they got rid of ties...of course)

This explains a lot from when I use to work with you !!

Still have to cross paths to share a few belgians .... :)

I have used coopers sanitiser and now napisan 'vanish'. Why is the beerbelly version a 'NO GO'?
Cheers

Nothing wrong with what you're using rotten but see Posts 36, 37 & 38 for a better Sodium Perc option.
"NEVER EVER" is just a personal preference not to give Beerbelly my custom after two long & frustrating attempts to purchase gear there. Made my own instead.

TP

This One (Attached Image)?

Anyone else use this without issue?

Thanks

Please See Page 2 of this thread.

you want Unscented, unless you like the smell of laundry fresh lemons in your beer.

BF

My product of choice is the Cole's brand nappy wash for sensitive skin (seneitive skin = no perfumes) B)

I use the no frills scented stuff & it doesn't come through in the beer, I've soaked bottles in a fermenter for over a week and nothing but clean gear, no smell/taste once rinsed. YMMV

Di-San OXY from Aldi is unscented - I use it all the time when I can't get pure perc.

My product of choice is the Cole's brand nappy wash for sensitive skin (seneitive skin = no perfumes) B)

I use this, years of use, never had a problem.

However, it's just for cleaning, you still need a sanitiser like Idophor etc to sanitize just before use.

BOG

Di-San OXY from Aldi is unscented - I use it all the time when I can't get pure perc.

I am all out of my usual cleaner but have some Di san oxy from Aldi.

Can anyone give me an idea on what ratio to water I should use?

I need to get a cube into the fermenter ASAP and it can not wait till tomorrow when I can get to my LHBS.

No need to be that precise. Use it with super hot or even boiling water. I use probably way too much (I have a bag of the pure stuff) but I have never, ever measured. You just need to clean the gunk off before rinsing and sanitising - it's a bit like using hand dishawashing liquid (not in your brewing stuff of course): hot water and a squeeze of the container until you get enough bubbles. A smidge, a sprinkle, a small handful, a teaspoon or two, about that, a beesdick or two followed by half a bit, just a touch, woops a bit more, stop too much etc, etc.

No need to be that precise. Use it with super hot or even boiling water. I use probably way too much (I have a bag of the pure stuff) but I have never, ever measured. You just need to clean the gunk off before rinsing and sanitising - it's a bit like using hand dishawashing liquid (not in your brewing stuff of course): hot water and a squeeze of the container until you get enough bubbles. A smidge, a sprinkle, a small handful, a teaspoon or two, about that, a beesdick or two followed by half a bit, just a touch, woops a bit more, stop too much etc, etc.

I owe you for your expert advise Manticle.

So the definitive answer is, about that much.

I would use the lid as a "scoop"measure - it has a moulding inside the lid designed to measure a "standard dose" - and that should be good for zapping a fermenter. Then 3 or 4 L of hot tap water, swish around and leave for a while, then a yellow cleaning cloth vigorously applied till the inside of the FV looks virginal (not forgetting the thread in the tap hole). More hot water then go the Starsan or whatever sanitiser you use.

I would use the lid as a "scoop"measure - it has a moulding inside the lid designed to measure a "standard dose" - and that should be good for zapping a fermenter. Then 3 or 4 L of hot tap water, swish around and leave for a while, then a yellow cleaning cloth vigorously applied till the inside of the FV looks virginal (not forgetting the thread in the tap hole). More hot water then go the Starsan or whatever sanitiser you use.

Currently in progress.

Cheers for the advise. :beer:

Back