Unreliable Trades People

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im a tradesman too, though im a fitter so i don't really deal with the public. It is very annoying when there is no communication with a plumber/chippy etc. I dont care and dont mind if you're busy, or running late, but FFS, just let me know and im happy!. If the shoe was on the other foot, i'd rather ring someone and explain that im gunna be late than just not show up on time!

Tradies in general are ******* hopeless....

I spent a number of years working in direct sales and the idea of not ringing people is crazy....gonna be 5 minutes late, ring and let customer know,
gonna be 5 minutes early, do the same.

If a tradie stuffs ya around, flick him, when you find one that does as he says, make him a friend, that is a very important relationship....

Main problem is they make too much money these days....little jobs are just a hassle. Its too easy to hang around a building site and make 300-400 a day
then to bother with average joes small jobs.

Main problem is they make too much money these days....little jobs are just a hassle. Its too easy to hang around a building site and make 300-400 a day
then to bother with average joes small jobs.

:angry:
300 a day? Your dreaming. This self employed pty ltd tradie wouldnt get out of bed for that, wouldnt pay for fuel, insurances, accountants etc etc etc.
In general average joes can be very hopeless.

there's some good tradie's who do care and there's some shocker's...the company i work for we contract all the maintence out..and i have seen my fair share of not so good trade people..

:lol:

In relation to small jobs being a hassle & not worth it for the tradies, I find that this is absolutely true. Only late yesterday afternoon after speaking with plumber 5: His reply to my job requirement was:

"Not trying to do myself out of work but you could go to your local hardware shop & buy some flexible hoses & connect it up yourself, easier & cheaper".

I don't need an expert tradesman to figure that one out. I explained that I am running 2 x 23 jet mongolian burners with a high flow regulator & have all the fittings & just need it put together. He agreed in the end but it seems to be a hassle these days for tradies to do a job that's not woth $1,000.00 to them. They all want cash but want to do **** all for it.

I spent a number of years working in direct sales and the idea of not ringing people is crazy....gonna be 5 minutes late, ring and let customer know,
gonna be 5 minutes early, do the same.

typical response from a non trade this..

no job ever runs to plan let alone down to a 5 minute timeline.

@ Crusty
iirc i suggested you try the Harwood Slipway the last time you got burnt like this, mate there are some excellent tradesmen in Yamba, again, give the Slipway a go by dropping into the Harwood 'Hilton' pub and asking around over a beer.

cheers

Becoming a tradie on Bribie Island is simple.

You grow a mullet, buy one of these which has to have those chrome bars which I could never work out what they are supposed to be for

ute.jpeg

Put this in the back

ute_tool_box.jpeg

Now, the next stage is to change your name by deed poll to something with the letter R at the end of the first syllable so you can instantly get a nickname ending in ZZA
e.g. Warren - Wozza etc etc.

Drive aggressively at 15 kph above the speed limit, cutting off as many cars as possible and tailgating.
Marry a really cunning hard eyed trophy wife and buy her one of these to take your many kids to school in:

prado.jpeg

And one of these as your personal "other" car (nothing ever gets carried in the back but note the correct chrome accessories)

falcon_ute.jpeg

After your hard day plumbing or whatever, which ends at 2.30 on the dot, gather round with Mozza, Lozza, Dazza etc and drink this out at the front of your house in the street at the tops of your voices.

xxxx_gold.jpeg

Simple, it's all about image. :super:

Edit: apologies to Yazza (post 27) :p

These days it's cheaper and easier to do it yourself.

With cheap tools and the internest you're never more than a youtube video away from success.

Give me the internet, some welding gear and a week, and I reckon I'd be able to construct a small thermonuclear weapon waiting on some plutonium.

(think I might have just flagged AHB on the CIA keyword shitlist :huh: :huh: )

You grow a mullet, buy one of these which has to have those chrome bars which I could never work out what they are supposed to be for

View attachment 48541

Put this in the back

View attachment 48543

Now, the next stage is to change your name by deed poll to something with the letter R at the end of the first syllable so you can instantly get a nickname ending in ZZA

Drive aggressively at 15 kph above the speed limit, cutting off as many cars as possible and tailgating.
Marry a really cunning hard eyed trophy wife and buy her one of these to take your many kids to school in:

View attachment 48542

And one of these as your personal "other" car (nothing ever gets carried in the back but note the correct chrome accessories)

View attachment 48544

After your hard day plumbing or whatever, which ends at 2.30 on the dot, gather round with Mozza, Lozza, Dazza etc and drink this out at the front of your house in the street at the tops of your voices.

View attachment 48545

Holy shit!
This is so true, the fuckers have all got these utes & maybe 2:30 was knock off time. They are fond of mega swill shit as well.
In relation to DIY, it's simply impractical & too expensive to purchase a welder so I can have a go at it myself, buy a grinder as well, some thread tapping tools, electrician gear etc, I simply don't have the know how to do it myself. These guys I have dealt with have certainly got the know how but are too god damn lazy & have a care free attitude that is really appalling. I believe what goes around comes around & I will not hesitate to name these morons to anyone looking at getting work done by these TOOLS of the trade.

These days it's cheaper and easier to do it yourself.

shit, there goes the manufacturing industry.

With cheap tools and the internest you're never more than a youtube video away from success.

cheap tools don't exist, cheap imitations of quality tools will only get you hurt whilst you play 'Tradie'

Give me the internet, some welding gear and a week, and I reckon I'd be able to construct a small thermonuclear weapon waiting on some plutonium.

all apprenticeships will now be served in a 1 week period over the internet learning skills from a fucktard who thinks they can weld, as opposed to 4 years on site, workshops and TAFE being trained by qualified Tradesmen.

View attachment 48541

Put this in the back

View attachment 48543

View attachment 48542

View attachment 48544

View attachment 48545

Have you got a newsletter I can subscribe to?

as opposed to 4 years on site, workshops and TAFE being trained by qualified Tradesmen.[/b]

PFFFFFFFTTTT!!!!! In my day It took about 7 years to get a trade qualification. Hard work, long hours and night school 3 days a week which seemed to never end and not counting the 'block courses' that ran for two solid weeks every damn 6 months or there abouts. Four years is just wrong. Just about all new tradies are:

Year 1. I know everything and I am awesome. Saving for a ute.
Year 2. I know even more now and I am more awesome. Have shitbox ford ute now.
Year 3. Hmmm, faild exams. Try again or cheat and pass with 51% - get to year 4. Crashed shitbox ute 'fixing it up' with Dads and Mums help.
Year 4. I know everything and are so awesome. Passed exams at 52%. Fully qualified.

I deal with tradies almost every day ( being a qualified one myself and self employed for over 20 years ) I have two lists. A use list and a never call again list. The latter list is huge, with only four contacts on my 'use' list. One for each sector if you like. For every reason previously mentioned here plus more.

Time for my best IPA yet and get warmed up for the Rugby tonight.

PFFFFFFFTTTT!!!!! In my day It took about 7 years to get a trade qualification. Hard work, long hours and night school 3 days a week which seemed to never end and not counting the 'block courses' that ran for two solid weeks every damn 6 months or there abouts. Four years is just wrong. Just about all new tradies are:

Year 1. I know everything and I am awesome. Saving for a ute.
Year 2. I know even more now and I am more awesome. Have shitbox ford ute now.
Year 3. Hmmm, faild exams. Try again or cheat and pass with 51% - get to year 4. Crashed shitbox ute 'fixing it up' with Dads and Mums help.
Year 4. I know everything and are so awesome. Passed exams at 52%. Fully qualified.

I deal with tradies almost every day ( being a qualified one myself and self employed for over 20 years ) I have two lists. A use list and a never call again list. The latter list is huge, with only four contacts on my 'use' list. One for each sector if you like. For every reason previously mentioned here plus more.

Time for my best IPA yet and get warmed up for the Rugby tonight.

Very true Cube.

1 out of 5 plumbers ( yet to be proven )
1 out of 3 electricians
1 out of 3 engineers
1 out of 3 refrigeration mechanics
4 from 14, pretty shit odds.

I have scoped long & hard for the electrician that is going to wire up my control box & I let him know that I'm over being fucked around & this is how I want the box wired up. If you fail to show or couldn't be bothered doing the job, tell me now & I'll find someone that will do it. A lengthy discussion about All Grain brewing has him interested & some beers will also be going his way as he thinks VB is a fantastic beer the poor bugger.

I live in a rental property, and the tradies that have come through here in the last six years are ******* disgusting.

Painter did the bathroom celing & walls. STarted peeiling after 3 months. A year or so later its a mess

Plumber had to 'pop' the shitter off to clear an obstruction, broke the porcellan then tried to tell me I would have to pay for it because I caused the obstruction. It as tree roots, so I eventually told the agent to shove it up her ass.

Security Door locksmith arrived to install buzzer contraption, I was no home, so he told the Real Estate agent that I was at home but ignoring him knocking. He 'knew I was home because I was haing a party inside (I was out and it was 10am in the morning!) and my car was in the carport (at the time I didnt even have a car!)

Another plumber came to fix the toilets not flushing properly. Three visits later and theyre still not fixed.

Yet another plumber came to fix the vanity sink pipes, also a leaking tap. Tap kept leaking, he suggested to my wife that we need to turn it on & off a few times. ... tap is still leaking.

Two week ago a painter came to fix a mouldy wall where an internal pipe burst (the plumber on this job was AWESOME actually). Painter simply paints over the black bumpy cancer. Going to do this myself, because that's where my empty tallies live.

The real estate have not hesitated putting the rent up (50%in 6 years), so it's time I went to the tribunal.

Very true Cube.

1 out of 5 plumbers ( yet to be proven )
1 out of 3 electricians
1 out of 3 engineers
1 out of 3 refrigeration mechanics
4 from 14, pretty shit odds.

I have scoped long & hard for the electrician that is going to wire up my control box & I let him know that I'm over being fucked around & this is how I want the box wired up. If you fail to show or couldn't be bothered doing the job, tell me now & I'll find someone that will do it. A lengthy discussion about All Grain brewing has him interested & some beers will also be going his way as he thinks VB is a fantastic beer the poor bugger.

Crusty, feel the pain, but plumbers or sparkies are they really interested in doing your small job, things that they dont work with every day of the week. You have materials which always reads bad for a tradie in my industry i.e you started but got lost. Your expecting labor only when the same tradie can perform labor plus parts at 25% above his cost`s.
I would think screwing around wirh brewing equipment isnt the everyday tradie job and therefore be prepared to be let down.
No need too blast us tradies, we dont blast accountants, solicitors, governments, workcover. Make a living and if average joe wants an average paying job, he goes to the end of the queue.
IMO, your attitude towards tradies is uncalled for.

Instead of starting a hate tradie thread, perhaps next time which has been advised, ask a local AHB member for some advice.

edit.. add sales people we dont blast, the ones who earn 7/8ths of feck all have the super paid, have workcover and watch the clock.

Haysie, there are some real shitheads out there though. You'd call them, even formnormal household jobs and they give you absolute rubbish.

My mom called me a few years ago saying that the heating in the house had broken down. She called a tradie and the guy wanted to change something with a few thousand bucks worth of a job. I asked them on the phone to take a torch and check the power cord going into the external power socket and lo n behold, mouse bit the cord off... So called trained geniuses that will only want to gouge money wherever they can.

Thankfully, we now have a sparkie and a plumber who both do fantastic work, both happen to be father son teams too. If you don't know a good tradesman already, it's likely you are in trouble in an emergency. Kinda like GPs....

Dont get me started about salespeople beit gas lights insurances funerals mortgages. They would sell sell your mother over quicker than us tradies.

Crusty, feel the pain, but plumbers or sparkies are they really interested in doing your small job, things that they dont work with every day of the week. You have materials which always reads bad for a tradie in my industry i.e you started but got lost. Your expecting labor only when the same tradie can perform labor plus parts at 25% above his cost`s.
I would think screwing around wirh brewing equipment isnt the everyday tradie job and therefore be prepared to be let down.
No need too blast us tradies, we dont blast accountants, solicitors, governments, workcover. Make a living and if average joe wants an average paying job, he goes to the end of the queue.
IMO, your attitude towards tradies is uncalled for.

Instead of starting a hate tradie thread, perhaps next time which has been advised, ask a local AHB member for some advice.

edit.. add sales people we dont blast, the ones who earn 7/8ths of feck all have the super paid, have workcover and watch the clock.

WTF!
This is not a hate tradies thread, I am simply stating that I hate several tradies that I have had to deal with. I did state in post #14 that not all tradies are bad, just the clowns that I have contacted. As far as pricing goes, I have never haggled or questioned a professional quote from such tradies. I don't expect them to work for shit money, just ******* turn up & do the bloody job. If you aren't interested in the job or it's too much of a hassle & beyond what they would do on a daily basis, that's fine with me, no problems at all, tell me that they don't want to do it & I will source someone else. I am just pissed that there is a high number of qualified tradies in my town that have such piss poor, unreliable work ethic.

SiloTed,

We rent too & what you say is absolutely true for me as well.
I rang the real estate to ask if we could get the down lights fixed in the kitchen as they would randomly turn on & off themselves & some just kept blowing. The real estate electrician came out & had to replace some transformers & stuff & he ripped quite a hole in the cieling where he ripped out one of the down lights leaving a fairly noticeable gap around the light cover. Our next house inspection they were questioning me as to why the ceiling light fixture was like that. You better talk to your electrician I said & the knob turns up later to fix it. He would have charged the real estate, x amount of dollars & caused damage to the owner's ceiling without even blinking an eye.
I will state again that not all tradie's are bad, there just seems to be quite a few here unfortunately.

I truly love the absence of self-awareness. It definitely tickles my tickly bits.

Latest posts

Back