Unflocced Yeast Or Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does this look like infection or unflocced yeast?
beersurface004.jpg

It looks like yeast to me but having still only done a fairly low number of brews in total, I have yet to actually witness either of these in one of my own brews. I have tasted it and can taste the esters from underpitching but nothing like what I have been told an infection tastes like.
The yeast used was re-cultured coopers and was (unfortunately) underpitched. It has had a stable FG over the last 3 days of a 10 days fermentation and then 3 and a half days in the fridge to crash chill and drop the yeast out. This is what is still left on top afterwards. Is it possible that stressing yeast would cause it to not flocculate as effectivley?

Cheers!
Jono.

Hi all,
beersurface004.jpg

It looks like yeast to me but having still only done a fairly low number of brews in total, I have yet to actually witness either of these in one of my own brews. I have tasted it and can taste the esters from underpitching but nothing like what I have been told an infection tastes like.
The yeast used was re-cultured coopers and was (unfortunately) underpitched. Is it possible that stressing yeast would cause it to not flocculate as effectivley?

Cheers!
Jono.

how much coopers yeast did you pitch jono, i use recultured coopers a lot and i have seen this b4,
fergi

Hi all,
beersurface004.jpg

The yeast used was re-cultured coopers and was (unfortunately) underpitched. It has had a stable FG over the last 3 days of a 10 days fermentation and then 3 and a half days in the fridge to crash chill and drop the yeast out. This is what is still left on top afterwards. Is it possible that stressing yeast would cause it to not flocculate as effectivley?

Cheers!
Jono.

Could just be "floaties".
You said you tasted it and it seemed ok, so I'd be inclined to stay with that BUT to be safe when you bottle or keg leave the floaties in the fermenter so don't drain them out, also if you bottle keep an eye on them in case it is an infection and may be gushers.

I have had floaties before, also had an infection which kind of looked like yours but were smaller spider web like on the surface.

It is often hard to diagnose just looking at it, any closer (whilst still in focus) shots of the floaties?

Looks like yeast to me. If it was an infecttion, the size of the colony visible would give a very obvious taste and smell

Looks OK, flocculation means the suspended stuff drops, not the floating stuff, sorry for the technical buzz words :lol:

Screwy

how much coopers yeast did you pitch jono, i use recultured coopers a lot and i have seen this b4,
fergi
It's a long story. It was the dregs of two stubbies but not stepped up enough or for long enough before pitching. It was kind of intentional. My mate and I were making a double batch. One lot we used a fairly new and good sized US-05 culture, the other was going to be Coopers so I could show him the differences yeast makes in the flavour of the beer. The culture we were going to use proved to be too old to use so we started this one up at late notice. We definitely learned about the flavours yeast can add to beer: underpitched coopers adds TRUCKLOADS of banana!!! :unsure:
Could just be "floaties".
You said you tasted it and it seemed ok, so I'd be inclined to stay with that BUT to be safe when you bottle or keg leave the floaties in the fermenter so don't drain them out, also if you bottle keep an eye on them in case it is an infection and may be gushers.

I have had floaties before, also had an infection which kind of looked like yours but were smaller spider web like on the surface.

It is often hard to diagnose just looking at it, any closer (whilst still in focus) shots of the floaties?
Yeah, we're bottling this afternoon. I figured I'd just leave it behind when I rack to bulk prime.
Sorry, couldn't get any closer shots. You're exactly right, focus.

Cheers guys, we've basically ended up putting this half of the batch down as a lesson in all the things you SHOULDN'T do when brewing :rolleyes:

Jono.

Cheers guys, we've basically ended up putting this half of the batch down as a lesson in all the things you SHOULDN'T do when brewing :rolleyes:

Jono.

Now make sure you revisit that line when you taste it in a couple of weeks and it turns out to be the best brew you have made yet.
Always happens........ :) Just when you think you have stuffed it up - hence why never throw it out unless there is no choice.

It's a long story. It was the dregs of two stubbies but not stepped up enough or for long enough before pitching. It was kind of intentional. My mate and I were making a double batch. One lot we used a fairly new and good sized US-05 culture, the other was going to be Coopers so I could show him the differences yeast makes in the flavour of the beer. The culture we were going to use proved to be too old to use so we started this one up at late notice. We definitely learned about the flavours yeast can add to beer: underpitched coopers adds TRUCKLOADS of banana!!! :unsure:

Yeah, we're bottling this afternoon. I figured I'd just leave it behind when I rack to bulk prime.
Sorry, couldn't get any closer shots. You're exactly right, focus.

Jono.

yes well i think it will be ok jono, you need to build the coopers yeast to a litre over about 4/5 days, thats what i do, i made my last pale ale with the us 05 yeast and it is certainly different from the coopers yeast, it has a more bitter taste than the coopers
fergi

Back