Uneven Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipster

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have some of my longnecks that makes a loud bang when I open them, but most of them don't.. I use carbonating drops so I don't really understand what is happening there. Any ideas?

.z

..Unfinished fermentation = extra build up of Co2???

Just a thought....

Hi there,

I have some of my longnecks that makes a loud bang when I open them, but most of them don't.. I use carbonating drops so I don't really understand what is happening there. Any ideas?

.z

Because its only a few my bet would be infection, do you use norinse sanitiser? Wild yeast may have got into some of your bottles, wild yeast are a little tougher so they can ferment sugars that normal yeast can't. This makes more co2.
The beer will taste winey or off in this situation.

OR it could be that when you were dropping in the drops that you accidently double dropped a few. This has happened to me many times!

Or it could be you opening some bottles when hot and otehrs when cold.

I use carbonating drops so I don't really understand what is happening....

There's your problem right there in my opinion.

I always found the carbonation drops to vary way too much for me to consider being an accurate way to prime. Depends on the tolerances your willing to accept with brewing.

Bribie uses the CSR sugar cubes as an alternative, and i know that they are much more uniform in size.

Alternatively look into bulk priming and you'll never have a problem with uneven carbonation again.

Cheers,

Nath

Not using sanitizer but boiling water. My friends does it this way and it seems that its doing the job just fine. However, I am.using the same water that I transfer between 4 bottles so possibly the 4th one is cooled too much and instead ofv killing germs its activating them.. the beer does not taste off its good meanwhile only 2/3 weeks old so maybe it takes longer for the bad taste to happen... dunno..

Not using sanitizer but boiling water. My friends does it this way and it seems that its doing the job just fine. However, I am.using the same water that I transfer between 4 bottles so possibly the 4th one is cooled too much and instead ofv killing germs its activating them.. the beer does not taste off its good meanwhile only 2/3 weeks old so maybe it takes longer for the bad taste to happen... dunno..

Get some sanitiser, it will work better. Uness you're holding your bottles at 80C for 15mins then they probably aren't sanitary enough. It will work for most of them, but wouldn't you rather the sanitiser work for all of them? I bought a bottle of iodophor a year ago for $7, it still has a little bit left in it and i make up 5L buckets of the stuff. 13 cents a week is good economy, i'm very wasteful with it, i'm, sure you could make a bottle last 2 years.

Back