Underletting-pros & Cons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
Have made my first brew using the underletting method and all went OK.
What are the benefits or downsides of this method?

i havent noticed any downsides, i always underlet and never have problems with doughballs.

underletting works for me too, no doughballs. I do run relatively thin mashes (3:1) though.

The biggest advantage for me is that I can attach the hose to the MLT tap instead of just dangling it into tun. This keeps everything steady whilst I'm messing about turning HLT taps and watching the water level with the dipstick. It's more a "one less thing to watch" reason than anything.

are we going to have another crack at the water to grain vs grain to water argument? :p

How long does it take to underlet a reasonable sized batch in a cylindrical mash tun?

cheers Ross

forgive the stupid question but whats underletting?
is it just kinda like throwing you strike water in backwards through the outlet?

How long does it take to underlet a reasonable sized batch in a cylindrical mash tun?

cheers Ross

For me, roughly the same as dumping the water on top. I only do smallish batches (23l) and I feed the water in under gravity from the HLT. It takes about 2-3 minutes to underlet my mash-in water.

forgive the stupid question but whats underletting?
is it just kinda like throwing you strike water in backwards through the outlet?

Yep, that's exactly it.

cheers Ross

Depends on the fittings and tubing you're using. Does not take me more than a few minutes, but then when I was not underletting I was running through a tube anyway to help prevent splashing and temp loss.

My mash underlets as fast as a march pump can pump 30 liters through 1/2 inch line into 10kg of grain.

about 2 minuites then just stir and bake for 1 hr at 66 deg......... oh you know the rest :)

Dicko put me onto underletting and ive done it this way ever since.Time is about the same top or bottom.Best benifits i can see are no dough balls and an even steady upward flow of water(no channeling).Looks good seeing the colour come through as the water rises and mixes with the grains.Also i quess there is less stirring of the grain to remove any suspect dough balls/dry spots.

Cheers
Big D

Only ever had a problem with underletting when my mate shook the dry grain up in the tun. Must have compacted it down as the water refused to flow up through the grain :S

Otherwise i can't think of why you would do it any other way ;D

Mikem108. Only one reason why I don't underlet, I flood my mash tun the night before and then, in the morning, recirc through a herms to hit the required dough in temp. It's no big deal for me, it's only 1-2 minutes stirring to make sure the dough balls are broken up anyway. And I'm doing double batches. :D

I guess I'll give underletting a go when i install a sight glass on the tun so i can see how much i've added. Until then i'll continue to just pour the grain from a height straight onto the water - mines all poured/mixed with no dough balls within 30 seconds. Seems preferable to me rather than passing hot water through the lower grains for several minutes, but it would appear it doesn't cause too many problems for those doing it.

cheers Ross

The grain's hitting hot water whether the water goes in the bottom or the top. Even if you have a shorter duration of hot temps by your method, you're exposing more of the grain to hot water.

Ultimately I do not think it matters either way in terms of enzyme loss.

a sight glass on the tun? isnt that asking to be clogged by bits of grain?
i use a dipstick in my hlt and shut off the vlave when i get to teh desired volume. ideally you would have a sight glass on the hlt.

a sight glass on the tun? isnt that asking to be clogged by bits of grain?
i use a dipstick in my hlt and shut off the vlave when i get to teh desired volume. ideally you would have a sight glass on the hlt.

I was refering to the hlt - hot liqour tun, not the mash tun B)

cheers Ross

Gave this a shot on the weekend for the first time, worked like a charm. Just pumped in the right amount of hot water, quick stir and it was done. Much less stirring than my previous way of adding the water to grain and stirring madly.

Can't see any disadvantages?

definatly go for it ross!!!!

It is much easier and looks great as the water comes up through the grain :)

I was suspicions to start with as well but once i did it once i would never do it another way ever again.

Its one of those things you have to do to apreciate....... you go......... ooooohhhhhhh whay didnt i do that sooner :)

cheers

Whilst being relatviely new to the AG seen I have under let everytime, after a good local AG'er recommended this to be the way to go.

Have never changed and never have any dough balling, it only takes a couple of minutes and I work out how much water I've added by the use of a sight glass on the HLT.

Now the local AG'er seemes to think it might be worth a try, was I the Guinea Pig here Rosco? LOL

AC

I've underlet with each of my 4 AG brews as well. Very quick procedure & never any doughballs.

Also it's fun to listen to the grain crackling away as the water rises in your mash tun. Reminds me of when you pour the milk on rice bubbles.

Jez

was I the Guinea Pig here Rosco? LOL

AC

Hey mate, you can't expect PistolPatch to take 'em all for the boys :p

As I said, it'll probably be the way I go, once I get a sight glass fitted... certainly clean & simple...

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back