Underletting-pros & Cons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a dipstick in the HLT rather than a sight glass. Just as easy.

Can't find it at the moment baut there was a big discussion a while ago re: the pros an cons with enzyme breakdown etc. The general consensus I remember was that it isn't a big enough problem to worry about - just have to hit the strike temp and away you go!

Not when your HLT is above head height - unless you like standing on buckets B) Will get there one day... :)

cheers Ross

Not when your HLT is above head height - unless you like standing on buckets B) Will get there one day... :)

cheers Ross
Ah yeah - Single tier here. What was that saying about real brewers and March Pumps!! hehehe :ph34r:

you beat me to it doglet :)

hehehehe

Underletting the mash = substantially reduced mash oxidation...

Cheers,
TL

As Big D said earlier, I underlet and would not go back to the other way.
I have a 50 litre HLT and I add EXACTLY the required amount of water only for the mash. I then heat this to the infusion temp and drain the lot to the mash tun by underletting.
While the mash is happening I add the remainder of the water required to complete the brew to the HLT and bring it to the boil.
When the mash is completed I infuse the correct amount of boiling water into the mash to raise the temp to mash out (74 to 76 deg) I then top up th HLT with cold water by the same amount as I infused for mash out.
This generally gives me the balance of water of around 76 deg for the sparge.
I know this may be a little OT but it seems to work for me and it saves a lot of measuring.

Cheers

Having read this thread, I thought I would give underletting a go. After watching what was happening I was thinking of the grain at the bottom of the mash tun getting belted continuously for about ten minutes with water well above the ideal temperature for them.
Definitely no dough balls though and much less grain dust in the air.
I would like to know what is happening to the grain at the bottom of the tun before you stir the mash?

Regards,
Lindsay.

I had a chat to GMK about this last Monday. Biggest problem I have is that when I underlet the whole grain bed rises as the strike water does not seem to filter through. The only one I've had real success with is my Weizen a couple of weeks ago. I crush fairly fine and it must be the problem as I literally have to stand there and push the grain bed down so it doesn't come out the top of the mash tun.

Any suggestions?

Having read this thread, I thought I would give underletting a go. After watching what was happening I was thinking of the grain at the bottom of the mash tun getting belted continuously for about ten minutes with water well above the ideal temperature for them.
Definitely no dough balls though and much less grain dust in the air.
I would like to know what is happening to the grain at the bottom of the tun before you stir the mash?

Regards,
Lindsay.

lindsay - are you saying that it took 10 minutes for you to underlet? I would not be happy if it takes this long, hence my earlier question - a couple of minutes fine, but i reckon this may be pushing it.

With Duff's fine crush problem, it looks like quality of cracking may be an issue here...

Cheers Ross

Underletting the mash = substantially reduced mash oxidation...

Cheers,
TL

Sorry to drift slightly OT here.

I don't underlet ATM. As much as I like the sound of it I have reservations about the strike water coming form my HLT being "exactly" to strike temp. At least if I add the water first then dump in the mash I know the strike water is going to be precise. If and when I find a way of getting exact strike water temps into the tun then I will most definitely underlet. The idea of no doughballs appeals to me. :)

OTOH if you have concerns about mash oxidisation (personally I think the worry is minimal) then what I've been doing lately is adding 1/4 of a crushed Campden tablet to the mash liquor. Results could be purely in my head but I'm fairly certain that my beers seem to be keeping far more stable in the keg since I've been doing it.

Could be purely a placebo but others seem to swear by it. :unsure:

Warren -

Ross,

I said about ten minutes. Ill time it next time I'm game enough.
I can vaguely remember somebody saying something about Beta Amylase doing some damage to the grains very quickly if the strike water is too hot.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Ross,

I said about ten minutes. Ill time it next time I'm game enough.
I can vaguely remember somebody saying something about Beta Amylase doing some damage to the grains very quickly if the strike water is too hot.

Regards,
Lindsay.

This is my main concern, especially when using malts like Galaxy that convert so quickly.
I tip the grains into the water from a height, so they break the surface & they are all in with 5 seconds - occaisionally there's a little left on top, but takes less than half a minute to stir these in, with no dough balls - So for me i really can't see any advantage, as I have to tip the grains in either way & there's the potential of over heating the grains if it takes too long - I'm getting 85% efficiency batch sparging & getting the attenuation i want generally spot on. So reluctant to add a process that may throw things out a bit...
Not knocking the process as it obviously works well for many - as I said, I just can't see any advantages within my set-up.

Cheers Ross

With underletting you wouldnt get those annoying hot geyser type bursting bubbles like when you add the strike water to the grain....they always get me :angry:
Cheers
Steve

The reason i do not underlet is, because i have a SS keg mash tun with a huge thermal mass, the hot liquor needs to be going in at about 78 Degrees. As it works its way up through the grain, the bottom 1/3 or so of the malt is going to get to mash out temperatures before re-circulation can begin.

This would not be as much of a problem with a plastic style mash tun.

What i do is get the water up to temp (about 70) by re-circulating through the HLT. this gives me time to adjust the pH and weigh and mill my malts. Then i throw in the malt into the top with stirring. Works well for me but depends on yours brewery.

Back