Under primed bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk1972

Reaction score
Has anyone ever realised they under primed there 740ml bottles ....and then reopened them and added more sugar and recapped to get more bubbles after one month off conditioning

how much did you prime?
bear in mind its also winter and the carbonation will be slower this time of the year.

Yes and it does work, however did you originally under-primed and realised this or is it that after a month, carbonation is not what you expected. In winter carbonation can be slower so if you didn't under prime what temp are your bottles stored at?
Cheers

Ok what I have done is I usually prime with 1tsp off cane sugar but I've thought it to be to gassy so I've experiment with only 3/4tsp of cane sugar and it seams under carved but it might be that its winter

Yes I have. Be sure that it is underprimed and calculate extra addition needed accurately.

bonk1972 said:
Ok what I have done is I usually prime with 1tsp off cane sugar but I've thought it to be to gassy so I've experiment with only 3/4tsp of cane sugar and it seams under carved but it might be that its winter
Id grab a few bottles and move them someplace warm for a week or two, see if theres an improvement.

38lt brew. I kegged 18lt and bulk primed bottled the other 18lt. The keg was excellent. The bottles under carbed but I put them aside, like under the house indefinately.
After months Its a carb level around >2. Special IPA its reeaaly noice. One for aging and to take a bottle out and chill for special occasions.

I just did this myself except the error in my calcs was the beer temp. For some reason I used 8 degrees (current temp after I unplugged the fridge post cold crash) or something instead of the ferment temp.

Needless to say, several weeks on, even with them in the house sitting at around 16-18 temp average I have some seriously undercarbed beer.
Going to reprime a few and see how they go.

So do reprime with the 1tsp or do you add the amount that was under primed as in my case I've primed useing 3/4 tsp so will i just add another 1/4 tsp

Amount that was missed in the first place.

So if you added 3/4 and meant to add 1, add another 1/4.

bonk1972 said:
So do reprime with the 1tsp or do you add the amount that was under primed as in my case I've primed useing 3/4 tsp so will i just add another 1/4 tsp
I'll be repriming with just the difference (as close to anyway). Just doing a few bottles at first I wanted to get off next month for a comp so will see how it goes.

Back