Two Canning- 1 Quality And 1 Farmland

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.m

Reaction score
I was in Coles the other day and noticed that the Farmland brew was only about $7.00 on special. Has anyone tried a mix of a half decent can of brew mixed with the cheap stuff to replacethe dextrose etc? I still havent acheived a brew that tastes like a commercial beer. Thats the aim over the coming months.. years....decades (hope not that long)

I'm new to it all but keen to get it right and too lacking in equipment and knowledge to contimplate AG brews. I wonder if anyone has acheived close to a commercial quality beer out of the can?

Steve

I wonder if anyone has acheived close to a commercial quality beer out of the can?

Steve

Doubtful.....Do you think you could achieve a coffee shop/cafe espresso (real) style coffee with instant coffee from a supermarket?

two cheap fresh (most important) cans of any generic brewcan (most people go lagers or draught ones, as they are the least bitter, as remember if you use two cans, you get twice the bitterness) and a decent yet can give a decent quick and easy result.

ive made a twocan farmland draught with a kilo of dextrose and some ekg hops and safale s-04 yeast as a hellishly simple bottle filler before and it turned out alright.

much much better was a twocan coopers stout, with 1kg dark malt, fuggles hops and s-04 yeast. absolutely delicious, but takes a good long time to mature. going to make this again very soon ready for winter.

there is heaps of info on twocanning brews, search for either twocan, two can, two-can or toucan :p

Doubtful.....Do you think you could achieve a coffee shop/cafe espresso (real) style coffee with instant coffee from a supermarket?

Thats a bad analogy. A better one would be "do you think you can produce a coffee as good as Starbucks from instant coffee?"

"Commercial quality beer" sets a pretty low bar when you consider the likes of XXXX gold and fosters.

Thats a bad analogy. A better one would be "do you think you can produce a coffee as good as Starbucks from instant coffee?"

"Commercial quality beer" sets a pretty low bar when you consider the likes of XXXX gold and fosters.

Yeah you are right. I like the JS golden ale and the latest find was the Boags St George as a good drop. I find it hard to offer a HB beer to friends as they have the image of the standard old can and kilo of white sugar brew many of us did years ago before the enlightenment.

What i guess i am trying to achieve is a brew that tastes like a fine beer that people won't pick as a HB and something i can get right royally stuck into with a fair degree of intrinsic pride.

I reckon you could still make a decent quality beer out of a toucan of any variety.
The key things are that the cans are at least in date, and the ingredients YOU add to it.
Firstly, go out of your way to buy a decent yeast from your LHBS.
Secondly, if you need more fermentables, use a can of malt extract, even some sort of specialty malt. On top of that, you'll find steeped specialty grains add another dimension also.
And last, but not least, especially if you're after a hop driven beer, like a pale ale or pilsner of sorts, you might want to add some additional hops. Even if they're dry hopped, you add that extra aroma which always counts.

Latest posts

Back